Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > iPod in FFRR Pre-2005 instructions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
EVOeng

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
iPod in FFRR Pre-2005 instructions

I know there has been some confusion regarding the fitment of iPod in the pre-05 Range Rover, so to rectify this I thought it would be helpful to provide a step by step guide. My CD changer in the glove box jammed and so looked for the available solutions.

This is what I found:
Solution 1 – Replace CD Changer with iPod module using Intravee II
Solution 2 – Replace CD Changer with an Alpine CD Changer and/or iPod module using Intravee II
Solution 3 – Replace CD Changer with an Alpine CD Changer and/or iPod module with a DAB module using Intravee II

I decided that the first solution was most appropriate as I have all my CD’s ripped on my computer in uncompressed formats so the quality is at the same level, as opposed to the 128 kbps (CD quality is 11 times better than that of the equivalent download). The reason why I did not fit a DAB module at this time is because there is still some confusion about when the radio switchover is likely to take place, if at all; further the reception can be temperamental. Also, the first solution will allow me to expand the system further in the future if need be.

There are a few different products available on the market, but my research suggested that the level of quality and integration was best achieved with the following:

1) Intravee II from Toysinyourcar.com (£150)
2) Short Ai-Net cable from Toysinyourcar.com (£15)
3) Alpine KCA-420i from Car Audio Security (£100, though you can pick up a used one for about £30 on ebay)
4) A couple of Velcro strips and sticky pads (£2.50)
5) Scosche Passport Charging Adaptor (£20)
TOTAL COST FOR SOLUTION 1 - £287.50
Some cars like mine are fitted with DSP, some may need an extra module to overcome problems with this system if the CD Changer has the coaxial type connection rather than the 6 pin and 3 pin connectors, so check this!

1) The first stage was to remove the original BMW CD changer from the glove box – the unit slides out to reveal four screws on both the left and right sides.

Click image to enlarge

2) Once the screws are undone the CD Changer slides out of the casing; you do not need to slide the whole system out, just enough to provide easier access to the two wires at the back. Remove them, and take the CD changer out.
Click image to enlarge

3) I took the option of housing all the required components in a replacement box which was manufactured at home; the other option available to you would be to wire the Intravee II box in the glove box and send the Ai-Net wire to the boot but that would require the removal of the glove box. (The components in the boot would also be the most logical solution for those using Solution 2 or 3 above.)
Click image to enlarge

4) Once measured up, a basic box was created – an extra long leg was needed on one side as the glove box only has a support on one side.
Click image to enlarge

5) The Intravee II box was mounted using Velcro as you may want to update the firmware when available. The Alpine KCA-420i was mounted using the supplied screws and some number plate sticky pads (from your local motor parts store).

6) It is important to leave some space on the side of the KCA-420i as the iPod lead is not too flexible and sticks out about 1 inch.

7) Following the mounting, try a test fit in the glove box before finalising the wiring.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cool Then it really is as simple as connecting the two wires from the CD changer harness, one for the i-Bus system and one for the audio system (6 pin and 3 pin wires) to the Intravee II system. Then using the short Ai-Net cable you can connect the Intravee II to the Alpine KCA-420i.
Click image to enlarge

9) Just test the iPod functionality before putting everything into place – the charging facility will not work with the newer generations of iPod and iPhone, so I then used a Scosche Passport to overcome this problem.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

10) Enjoy your install – you will benefit from track names and playlist searches displayed on the original Navigation system.

Hope this helps,

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #89548 30th Oct 2011 8:00pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Well done young man , also very good pics and script … Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #89549 30th Oct 2011 8:05pm
EVOeng

Thanks MICK, much appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #89556 30th Oct 2011 8:35pm
993porky

England 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black
Multi disc removal

Hi EVOeng
How did you remove cd multi from glovebox your write says
It slides out, but I've been just outside trying mine and it
Feels solid as though it is fixed some how.
Did you have to strip dash/glovebox to allow the Multi to
Slide out?
Any advice and help would be great
Cheers Paul Range rover hse
Java black

Post #89600 30th Oct 2011 11:04pm
EVOeng

My CD changer just slides out to reveal the four screws on each side. The glove box does not need to be taken apart. There was nothing else holding it in place. Hope this helps

Post #89610 31st Oct 2011 12:02am
EVOeng

Ok, just done a search on Google and looking through the install guide for the CD changer, others may need to remove the front of the glove box.

No idea why mine could just be pulled out?
I have a PDF giving instructions for the CD Changer removal if anyone is interested.

Post #90262 3rd Nov 2011 11:38pm
dannyp15

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Alaska White

hi EVOeng

can you send me the pdf instructions please Thumbs Up

Post #90494 5th Nov 2011 2:24pm
EVOeng

Not a problem Danny,

Can you send me a PM with your e-mail address?

Post #90559 5th Nov 2011 7:54pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

ENVeng, a quick thought... Your car has the twin socket CD changer (an early design) most have a square ten pin plug (late 03 onwards) maybe because yours is an early type it allows your CD changer to just slide out?

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #91561 11th Nov 2011 9:54am
CUE99T

Scotland 

Good write up fella, nice pics and box, and not to criticise in anyway way as I'm not sure where I'd get the time to do it myself but ya need to trim that little drawer....and it will be very sweet. You could also maybe just get a small set of rails if poss and it will give you a slide out. Very Happy

Just done my Dension ipod/BT unit into my 911 front boot and it was a pain but got it nicely tucked away behind the carpet with the options to plug into nicely sliced into the cubby hole that has a detacheable facia. Smile

I love a good custom stereo fit....nearly every car bar my italian stuff had custom fit trimmed and amps etc, love it!!

I was just going to put a Parrot Mki9200 into my car but now I've seen this I wanna do it much better aget some alpine stuff!! Thumbs Up

Danny did you buy that DVD changer in the end? The reason I ask is mine has died and also my DVD player in the boot seems to have a drain on my battery so we put a switch in until we could work out whats wrong, but this would fix it if I put a DVD/CD/MPS3 player in the glovebox as I think my car might have BT phone already. all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #91782 12th Nov 2011 12:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1