Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Accuracy of the fuel consumption measurement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green
Accuracy of the fuel consumption measurement

Who has done the comparison between the fuel consumption measurement of the FFRR itself (shown on the screen) and actually looking at miles and liters/gallons put into the tank ??? Can they please let me know what the differences are ??

Over here I don't fuel the car myself (our driver does that) and I get quite a substantial difference in fuel consumption between the pump liters and FFRR measurement (30%). I would like to find out if that sounds "reasonable" although I am afraid the answer will be no and we have to find out where we are being scr**ed.

Also does anyone know how the fuel consumption is actually measured ??? Just out of interest. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #90946 8th Nov 2011 10:07am
bozmandb9

On my S/C I like to think that the computer is highly accurate, however it seems to have been programmed by Alastair Campbell, and realises that the driver might not really want the whole truth, so applies a little spin to dress up the news in a more palatable form. So it shows an average overall for my car of 16.5 mpg, where the reality is probably around 13 (I'm running on LPG).

I'd say even when i run purely on petrol it makes little difference to the optimism of the LR redacted official data! :roll laugh:

Edit, as to how it's calculated, I believe it's SOP for Alastair's optimistic scenario, take the reality, add 30%. Simples! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #90950 8th Nov 2011 10:35am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

mine is accurate , some members readouts are not...do what i did , a tank to tank fill up and calculate the consumption to see if it corresponds with the readout, but it needs to be over a long journey so that the readout gives you a true figure..... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #90964 8th Nov 2011 11:01am
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

may be it's being syphoned out and sold down at badagry. Alternatively is it doubling up as a taxi?

Post #90972 8th Nov 2011 11:27am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Hi David, the taxi trip would still show the kilometers, also I am the only one driving the car unless it is used for getting fuel. As for the syphoning, it is supposed to be quite hard to do on the FFRR but I think it is possible. Again not a lot of time to do it as he takes the car and brings it back straight away after fueling.

I suspect the pumps here are not "calibrated correctly" to be honest....... MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #90973 8th Nov 2011 11:33am
bozmandb9

I think it's more down to the accuracy of the consumption figures on the S/C. As I said above, I've always found them highly optimistic both on my current and previous S/C! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #90987 8th Nov 2011 12:01pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I think it is optimistic. I've never done the calcs myself but a simple test is to zero the trip when it is brim full and then look at the expected range.

First point is that I normally get a number that is a little over 400 miles. I have achieved that only once in 4 years of ownership. Normally a tank gets me 350-380 miles before I feel I need to fill it - suggesting that the calculation (which I assumes uses the recent mpg to work out range) must be optimistic by about 10%.

Secondly, keep an eye on the two numbers. The sum of those two generally grows a little (I've seen it almost get to 500 miles on a long run). Suggests more optimism.

Finally, look at the numbers when it's half empty - you'll see something like 180 miles covered, 210 miles range - clearly the second half of the tank won't get you further than the first half.

None of this is scientific but I have no doubt that the mpg is a bit generous.

Post #91000 8th Nov 2011 1:23pm
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

I've compared the average mpg of my 2096 SC against the number of litres to brim my tank over a couple of months, and the value reported by the car was generally within 0.2 mpg, so I would say this figure is very accurate.

The distance to empty on the other hand is useless, it always starts high, then drops off steeply when the tank drops below 1/4 of a tank. 
Gone - Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Post #91012 8th Nov 2011 2:42pm
Paulo

Scotland 

If you have an I-phone, I've been using an APP called "Road-Trip" for the last year or so....

I type in odometer reading, litres pumped, cost per litre wtc. and it records all MPG data.

I can also record any additional expenses etc. and breaks down expenses on a daily basis....

I find my cars Fuel reading to be within 0.4 MPG from using this APP, but my car isn't a RR..... Laughing

It does make sobering reading though.....

£4006.81 in Petrol since 1st Jan 2011 or £13.18 per day averaging 15.09 MPG..... You don't want to know the total costs.... Big Cry

Post #91017 8th Nov 2011 3:53pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

I did a longish test a while back. I ran over 1000 miles, the computer showed aprox 26.5mpg and my actual tank filling calculations showed aprox 25.5, so not too bad I guess. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #91019 8th Nov 2011 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1