Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Brakes sound like a London bus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
patrick1234

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Brakes sound like a London bus

As you can guess my brakes make an awful noise but not all the time and you can bet that they'll be as quiet as a mouse if I go near my dealers. If I'm sitting in slow moving traffic, they'll start to make a vibrating noise and sometimes it is so bad you can feel it right through the car.

I did ask Charles Hurst at Park Royal's service department - after I'd had new pads all round, new rear disks and a full service but I was told that the onus was on me to demonstrate that there was a problem - friendly!!!

All I want is quiet brakes!!

Anyone got a suggestion as to what the problem might be???

Thanks

Patrick

Post #6250 23rd Jun 2009 6:20pm
Landrovered

United States 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

Have you had the front disks turned, they can get a pretty nasty ridge on them on the outer or inner edge where the old pads were, the new pads are probably not seating in the exact same place as the old ones, if the ride the ridge then they will squeel and make all kinds of nasty sounds. Also check to see that the anti-rattle springs are installed properly. 93 NAS 110, 72 SIII 109, 93 RRC LWB, 03 RR HSE

Post #6251 23rd Jun 2009 7:39pm
claud

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Corris Grey

I have exactly the same issue of vibration around walking pace when they are hot, Hunters claimed it was normal! I will drop in when I know they are doing it next time and find exactly how normal it is!

I too had new pads on worn discs. I guess the best way is always to repalce discs and pads together - thats expensive thoough. 2018 Range Rover Autobiography
2010 Land Rover Freelander XS
1959 Series II
1950, 1952, 1954. 1955, 1957 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Post #6254 23rd Jun 2009 10:32pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Unless the discs are super worn then you shouldnt have a big step. That and the fact that the pads will wear a pad shamed groove in the disc, so unless they are a different brand then they should be exactly the same.

A low groan when coming to a final stop or not quite releasing whilst in traffic is normal on automatic cars I've found. I've had this in classics, P38, my L322 and other BMW's.

Who fitted your pads? There is a 3 pronged claw on the back of the pads that stop them from rattling around and squeeling, this also makes it a little more difficult to seat into the piston recess so garages (even LR dealers) rather than take an extra 2 minutes to make it fit, they just squeeze the thing together so that it's not tight against the sides and therefore doesnt work as an anti rattle device. It might be worth popping yours pads out and checking (it's a 5-10 minute job after doing the jacking) 

Post #6255 23rd Jun 2009 10:45pm
patrick1234

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Thanks for all the advice. I suspect that it'll be flip the discs or new ones. Maybe Charles Hurst as site sponsors might like to play nice!!!

Post #6307 1st Jul 2009 11:31am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I had noisy and poor front brakes too. Was a combination of cheap discs and pads. Had them replaced about 3,500 miles ago and they are smooth and noise free. Sometimes a bit of a gamble.

At low speeds though, moving about, they will groan and that IS normal. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #6323 2nd Jul 2009 4:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1