Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Knocking/rattling noise coming from front suspension?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
redferrari

Knocking/rattling noise coming from front suspension?

Hello everybody after lurking for a while on here I have signed up and this is my 1st post!

I have a 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE and of course I love it!! However for the last few months there has been a rattling/knocking noise coming from the front. It is very noticeable when going over slightly uneven ground. When on a road there is no noise. Now I use a small independent for servicing etc etc and asked him to have a quick look last time but he could not find anything wrong he said. I gave up with main dealer servicing many years ago as I was always disappointed and sometimes shocked by my local dealers ability to look after my car. So I am looking for a bit of advice from someone so I can tell the independent exactly where to look or what to replace. I have read about the possibility of it being track rod ends or anti roll bar something but I'm not too sure at the moment. Also if somebody does know what needs doing/replacing could you give me a rough idea of the cost of the parts involved and an idea of how much labour time is required. The car has done about 88,000 miles and apart from having a new alternator fitted a couple of years ago whilst in warranty has been fantastic.
Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Post #96017 4th Dec 2011 7:44am
Tesh

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Sounds like anti roll bar drop links to me - less than £30 a side to fix

Post #96022 4th Dec 2011 9:09am
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I'm in the same position, my front suspension knocks and have done the following-
- Both front lower ball joints arms + bushes changed
- Anti roll drop links changed.
Still knocking....

Another thread on here has done the above, plus both front struts.....and still knocks.

My car has been through MOT and whilst on a vehicle ramp, the front suspension was put on "rattle pad" which pulled the suspension in all directions, nothing was felt or looked loose.

Still it knocks...

It's a "Million Dollar question", and one hopefully someone, someday will have the answer too.

Post #96023 4th Dec 2011 9:27am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Re: Knocking/rattling noise coming from front suspension?

redferrari wrote:
It is very noticeable when going over slightly uneven ground. When on a road there is no noise

Track rod ends are certainly a possibility - only ever rattled going over bumpy ground, couldn't feel anything untoward through the steering. Simple fix if it is.

Post #96045 4th Dec 2011 12:43pm
kb5

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

Gents // I had my drivers side strut changed yesterday ( for other reasons) however today when taking the little one to school I could here a knocking from the front, after checking it out I found that the nut that secures the strut to the upper body part of the car had worked loose Surprised So I took it back to the chap who did the work to confirm and to tighten it up correctly all seems ok now, maybe this could be what you are looking for and believe me there are not many smooth roads over here... Easiest way to check is try rocking the car and see if you can hear anything mine was so loose you could see it moving.

Goodluck

Post #96065 4th Dec 2011 1:56pm
redferrari

Thanks for the input guys. I don't really know what to do. The garage say that nothing needs replacing but obviously they will replace parts if I tell them to but they say its not necessary. It does seem a bit of a mystery!! Are we sure this noise is coming from suspension/steering etc etc and its not something else? The car drives perfect apart from this. Making sure the struts are tightened up is obviously the place to start.

Post #96120 4th Dec 2011 6:55pm
redferrari

Forgot to ask if anyone has been to a dealer with this problem? On the basis that if the noise does not stop then they won't get paid!!!

Post #96121 4th Dec 2011 6:57pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Not familiar with that engine, but does the exhaust run close to the bodywork anywhere in that area? Maybe a bracket is lose or something. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #96127 4th Dec 2011 7:00pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Jack up the side of the car that the noise is coming from. Grab the wheel and try and move it back and forward from top to bottom. If there is any play, it is your transverse link ball joints.
Hold the wheel at the sides and try to shake it from side to side. If there is any movement it could be your track rods or the compression link ball joint.
Is your car perfect on smooth road but turns into a wobbly knocking piece of junk when you are cornering or hit even a small bump on the road? Then it will be one, or both like me, of the above.. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #96148 4th Dec 2011 8:09pm
Glideman

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Did you ever find out what was causing this knock?? I have exactly the same knock on my front suspension on the passenger side. I've spent a fortune trying to get rid of it. It started when I replaced the front passenger side air strut for a new one. Went for a test drive and first heard the knocking. I've replaced both sides upper and lower hub bushes at the rear and the trailing link arms, this didn't work. Then the anti roll bar drop links, no luck with that either. I've checked every bolt on the new strut & had the car on a ramp and it's still knocking, it's driving me mad, literally. I recently had the car MOT'd and they couldn't find any loos or worn bushes. In a last ditch attempt to find the cause I took the car to a Land Rover dealer who charged me £550 and the knocking is still there! So far this has cost me over £1000 and I'm no nearer than when it all started. I've also checked the obvious stuff like battery mounts and pipes & cables (all secure) Has anyone ever cured this annoying knocking? It's fine on a smooth road but as soon as I drive down a country road it knocks constantly.

Anyone know of anything else to try??

Post #97853 15th Dec 2011 3:36pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

inner wheel arch? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #97859 15th Dec 2011 4:21pm
Glideman

!

I've had the plastic arch liner out & back on, seems fine.

Post #97865 15th Dec 2011 5:15pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

I had a strange knocking noise that drove me round the bend on an X5. It was apparent even when leaving the drive. It turned out to be the steering rack mounts. Although not loose, a 1/4 turn on the mounting bolts cured it.
This sort of thing drives me nuts. Just my 2p worth.

Post #97934 16th Dec 2011 12:35am
sidmini

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Atacama Sand

i'm getting a similar issue, just a thought could it be shock / movement that it working its way up to the wood vaneer vent trims and causing a little knock noise?

Post #97941 16th Dec 2011 1:05am
Glideman

I'm sure it's suspension related, when you jump up & down on the top of the tire it makes a very faint knocking noise.

Post #97993 16th Dec 2011 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>