Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > My FBH is switching itself on...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think it depends.....on how LR have programmed this thing.

I am guessing here....but if the FBH was shut down "normally" due to the engine being started, then it shouldn't re-start when the engine is switched off.
If the FBH shuts down due to low battery power, then it may re-start and try to complete the 17 minutes if there is enough power.....

Post #98631 21st Dec 2011 1:02pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Rambles wrote:
the FBH should come on as soon as the door is unlocked / opened? and your dealer told you that was normal?
doesn't happen with my MY11 FFRR.
and it doesn't say in the handbook the FBH is turned on that way.

This is absolutely correct. The FBH does exactly what the first 2 letters say - it burns fuel. Imagine you had a very small, very cold garage and you left your iPhone in the RR. You go back out and unlock the RR (ok, very small, very cold garage in a very bad neighborhood with break ins all the time) which starts the FBH and, in no time, fills the garage (which is also quite airtight) full of carbon-monoxide. Unnoticed by anyone, your little daughter sneaks out to play with her hamster who's cage has been banned to the garage because of the odors. The next morning, you cheerfully head out to the garage and find the corpse of your daughter still clutching her cold, dead hamster... Shocked

Rambles wrote:
sounds like your stealer is fobbing you off.

As I said above, dealer technicians generally know next to nothing about the FBH. And in their efforts to get you out of their hair with your silly questions on such strange add-ons to the RR, they will tell make up all sorts of things... 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #98649 21st Dec 2011 3:57pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

SteveMFr wrote:

The FBH does exactly what the first 2 letters say - it burns fuel.

so in theory your mpg goes down a bit in the cold months.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #98661 21st Dec 2011 5:05pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

not if the engine is pre-warmed as a cold engine is so much more inefficient than the FBH that it more than makes up the difference.

Without pre-warming the engine, yes - but it's actually very little. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #98671 21st Dec 2011 5:50pm
AMD

United Kingdom 

Rambles wrote:

So.....
use FBH remotely to pre-heat cabin.
after 20 minutes, get into cold cabin and see low battery warning displayed on dash board.
start 2 hour drive to visit friends. stop to get diesel after driving 1 hour. fill tank. pay at kiosk. come back to car and notice FBH is operating. Rolling with laughter get back into car, complete remainder of journey. switch off ignition. after a couple of minutes notice the FBH has turned itself back on !
AND....if you let it, it will complete the remainder of the cycle until either it thinks it has done the full 17 minutes (which is all you get these days, or you risk having non start problems) or the battery says it is low again. In which case the whole madness is saved to start again when you next use the car.
seems to be a great design feature that the FBH "pre" heats the car after the journey has been completed.
Rolling with laughter

Yep, that's exactly what happens to me, I've given up using the FBH now. I sit in a cold car every morning with the engine idling waiting for the windscreen to defrost and the steering wheel to get warm before setting off.

So what's the answer? Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #98679 21st Dec 2011 7:53pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Reading all about the FBH i'm glad in some ways that i do not have the all the 'aux' options on the touch screen. I start her up in the morning and if its cold then after starting i hear the 'jet engine' sound and the 'ticking' until the engine reaches normal temp. If i'm cold i hit the heated wheel button and a few mins later its warm, if the windscreen is frosted then i hit the 'defrost' and i may have to wait a few mins, but hey. I have a kenlowe heater on a classic still don't really know how it works but i do plug it in and it seems to work.

Post #98692 21st Dec 2011 9:59pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

AMD

and all others with FBH / weak electrics problems on the MY11.

The dealers don't want to know, because technicians at LR do not want to admit they have made the mother of cock ups. They will tell dealers all sorts of stories just to get you out of their hair.
I was told recently my FBH was operating normally by a dealer simply because the LR technicians told them it was operating normally.
I have now a letter from LR head office which states the reasons given by their technicians for non proper operation of the FBH when it was tested were in fact complete Censored

You need to write to LR head office. Tell them of the problems you have.

Alternatively, sell the MY11 and go back to a MY10 or previous......the FBH and electrics worked OK in those models.

Post #98800 22nd Dec 2011 8:23am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Hi Rambles,
Scanning and posting might be a breach of good faith but how bout a quick summary? Or, alternatively a PM... Mad 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #99370 25th Dec 2011 6:01pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

@DavidP

Couldn't agree more regarding the lack of options for the FBH.
When it's cold mine starts on starting the car, if it isn't cold it doesn't. Simples. Smile
Why any manufacturer would deliberately design such a complicated control system to operate what is essentially a water heater on a car is beyond me.
Totally un-necessary imo.
As for the consequences on the vehicle battery.......

Post #99374 25th Dec 2011 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123