Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Dealership & Service Feedback > Dealer being complete a*******s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
barrieeld

Dealer being complete a*******s

Guys someone shed some light on this for me.

I bought a vehicle a while back and was given detailed info over the phone prior to buying it which made me decide to complete the purchase.

now i have the v5 document i phoned the dealer requesting copies of the previous work being carried out on the car (being a prestige mark i feel this is important) but they've now told me they cannot tell me ANYTHING about the car as its a new company policy.

Obviously I'm a bit miffed as i feel as the owner of the vehicle i should have the right to know its previous history but they tell me nothing so whats the point in having a dealer service history?

Where do I stand? Can I contact Land Rover direct themselves? Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #98433 20th Dec 2011 10:52am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

How long have you had it now?

Have you tried speaking to the dealer principle?

If it was an LR dealer them contacting LR uk customer services may help.

Also if it was a condition of sale they need to stick to it as well.

If they fail to comply write a letter to them and hand it in in person if possible logging date and time and who you handed it to and state you want to reject the car as without the proven history the car isn't worth near what you paid for it as put simply, a car without a history has usually lost it as it wants to hide something in my eyes.

Being and ffrr if it ain't got history it's very dubious. Mine is 6yr old, had 124k on it and had full history, including original sales invoice and some of the service invoices as well.

Post #98446 20th Dec 2011 11:38am
barrieeld

This is the annoying thing its got FLRSH all by charles hurst, I have the book all stamped up to date but they cant tell me for "new company" reasons what it had done at each of the service intervals, not even over the phone! they said information about previous owners was leaked or something...complete b******cks

Does anyone know legally how this stands? surly the service history belongs to the car ?

I am speaking to the manager this afternoon if no luck there its on to Land Rover themselves

any help would be greatly appreciated. Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #98449 20th Dec 2011 11:46am
barrieeld

ive had the car 4 months.... Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #98450 20th Dec 2011 11:46am
EVOeng

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Morning,

The main reason as to why they do not want to supply previous invoices to you is because of the Data Protection Act. The invoice would hold details such as name, address and contact information which they would not be allowed to supply. Legally, it would be fine for them to tell you all the work that has been carried out either by phone, or my letter headed paper. I had a similar issue in getting replacement invoices for my Porsche – it is perfectly acceptable for one to be told over the phone, about the work that has been carried out so far.

In terms of getting duplicate invoices, there were two options available to me at the time: (1) If I knew the keeper details at the time, then they would be able to print me off a copy. (2) If I did not know the keeper details at the time, then they would be able to print me off a copy while blanking off the customer details section. They can be fussy sometimes, and you may be required to get permission from the previous owner/s in order to get the invoices, if you send a letter with a prepaid envelope you will be surprised how helpful previous owners can be.

Also I should add; if when forming the contract to buy the car, it was fundamental and explicitly stated either in written or oral communication that the invoices were needed, and then it can be argued that it was that detail which induced the making of the contract. In this sense you would seek the remedy of specific performance: getting the invoices to you!

Post #98451 20th Dec 2011 11:56am
barrieeld

I understand the data protection reason but the v5 document clearly states the original owners details in black and white! To be honest dealers should have the ability to omit sensitive customer data from car documentation you would think otherwise we would all not get duplicate info for any of our cars.

I went through this with my s class and it was seamless.

Surly they must understand the importance of invoices for prestige vehicles? Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #98453 20th Dec 2011 12:11pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

if your book is all stamped up and services were carried out to the correct schedule then just get a copy of the service schedule this includes what is replaced etc with each service You can paypal direct using - www.paypal.me/duckworthparts
Please supply your full name address when sending a paypal payment.
https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts
www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: robin.hall@duckworth.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Post #98454 20th Dec 2011 12:15pm
barrieeld

Doubt they'll even give me this! Plus I know it had some warrenty work done and wanted to know what exactly had been done. Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #98540 20th Dec 2011 7:13pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

I bought my FF last year from a non franchise dealer, but with a stamped book - with no reciepts, just like you.
The supplying dealer also serviced the car until I bought it and they were only too happy to provide a full print of all work carried out.

If they are hiding behind the Data Protection act, this applies to information on individuals, not vehicles. The print I have has no details of any person on it, just the vehicle - insist on one of those.
If necessary throw the teddy out, stating that you are not satisfied that the book you were provided with is proof of a full service history -

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #98543 20th Dec 2011 7:33pm
barrieeld

thats my thoughts exactly. if they demand i cant get them what steps can I take? I've spoken to Land Rover who were useless to be honest. Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #98547 20th Dec 2011 7:53pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Did you buy the car of the Dealer who was the origonal seller Dealer when it was new or is this a second Dealer?

Post #98551 20th Dec 2011 8:20pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I had a similar problem when I bought my car. The last service had been done by an independant, who had stamped the service book, but when I called them to ask if the transfer box oil had been replaced, I was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't give this information to anyone other than the person who owned the car as that time. I called the supplying dealer who made attempts to contact the previous owner to ask them to contact the garage, but again this fell on deaf ears.

I even tried the local trading standards office to get their opinion, and in the end they advised that it was very unlikely that they could intervene and force the garage to provide the information, so that's where I left it.

I called all the other franchised in the book and all of them were more than happy to provide all information I asked for, including any warranty claims and recalls. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #98561 20th Dec 2011 9:08pm
356pilot

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I used to have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, which I bought as second owner from a respected independent dealer. It had full AM service history. I took it to a franchised main dealer for the next service, and they provided me with a detailed printout of EVERY job ever carried out on the car, including dates. No invoices / costs / names / addresses, just a log of all the work. So I'm sure this is nothing to do with data protection.

Post #101000 10th Jan 2012 10:50am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You're right 365, it has nothing to do with data protection, but if a garage decide not to provide anonymised data on a car, there's very little an individual can do, according to the local trading standards people that I contacted about my issue, as the contract for the service was with the previous owner and they aren't obliged to provide the information to the new owner, even as a courtesy.

Most do, but some don't.......... Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #101055 10th Jan 2012 7:10pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

If it was me.....

I would just call a different main dealer "service Department" say you own a RR or are looking at a car to buy one and could you check the warranty work record as its held nationally.

I have never had a dealer say no and they give the details over the phone.

Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #101062 10th Jan 2012 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>