Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Ongoing engine Fault Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
SteveB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
Ongoing engine Fault Problem

Hoping someone might be able help with an ongoing problem with my 2006 TDV8 RR Vogue SE (Registered 46K miles when I bought it now completed 54K). Soon after I bought it I started experiencing the very occasional engine fault meltdown.

Does not seem to be linked to driving at night or day, dry or wet, cold or hot. Driving along with no problems under 50mph and then bing bing fault warning and the following list of faults come up:

Engine system Fault
Suspension Lowered (Does not actually happen)
Transmission Fault - Limited Gears only
HDC Fault - system not available

I pull over engage the parking brake and then get

PARK BRAKE FAULT (But it works)

Turn engine off and then back on and then all clears and is well for another 10 to 1000 miles (Yes, there is no fixed pattern to the fault happening, can reoccur in a matter of 10 miles or 4weeks)

Local service agent checked logged fault codes with Landrover Tech and was told the High Pressure Injection Sensor was fault and the whole injection unit had to be changed. Cost around £1500 as manifolds etc has to be removed to gain access. Day after the repair it happen again. Took it back, they checked and found a faulty connection on a nearby sensor, fixed it and all was great. In fact it run better than ever for around 6 weeks.....

One morning it started a little rough, I put it down to the sudden cold morning and 1 mile down the road it started again. The system fault has now occurred six times in the last 10 days, twice this morning on the way into work.....a real pain in the arse. Every time it is fixed by turning off and restarting, clearing fault and drives good with good power after the restart.

Garage are a little confused as the fault codes logged indicate that the same injection pressure sensor is at the core of the system meltdown again, but it is new?

When the car is driving it is a pleasure, nice and smooth, good power. I have noticed that the fuel consumption has become worse since the frequency of the fault has increased. Was around 26-27 mpg average with well over 30mpg on the motorways now dropped to 21mpg. Anyone have any ideas
[/list] Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101279 12th Jan 2012 8:52am
piecost76

United Kingdom 

Hi Steve,

Whereabouts are you? I have a Hawkeye that may bring up another code?

Doubtful, but it will save you having to keep on going to the garage for diagnosis?

Also, what about that Old Chestnut - New Battery?

Ivor. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15 MY 110 XS USW

54 FFRR Vogue TD6 Touchscreen - Gone!
56 FFRR TDV8 VSE - Gone!

Post #101295 12th Jan 2012 10:18am
33CHINACARS

Australia 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Yep check Battery & connections. If thats not it sorry cant help any more

Gary

Post #101356 12th Jan 2012 4:29pm
SteveB

Just got another call from garage who in turn have had another call from land rover technical. They now suspect that the replacement injection pump may have developed a fault as well. So it will be in again to have more tests and a replacement injection pump to the replacement pump already fitted. Oh joy

They have checked the battery and all is good, in fact very good they say with good voltage in all conditions. Will keep you posted just hope I make it home tonight without another fault episode. Confused Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101384 12th Jan 2012 6:22pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Sensor replaced leading to same same error ? The probably of a newly fitted sensor being crap ( whilst not impossible ) is outweighed by the probability that the sensor is good and that what the sensor is connected to is now the next link in the chain to be looked at.

Engine system fault ( engine ecu )
Transmission fault ( gearbox ecu )
Handbrake fault ( dunno what ECU ? )
HDC fault ( ABS ecu )

Generally each of these faults are thrown by different ECU's around the car ... for them all to throw an error simultaneously suggests a common issue triggering them all.

You say that it resets on a restart ... which would imply that the faults are not critical hard errors that the ECU's would normally shut down for.

Something central to the systems could be the cause. Some of these could be:
- poor supply voltage ( loose main terminal / fuse / relay )
- poor grounding / earth
- errors/problems in the communications systems between the ECUs and the car.

What you really need to get the error codes of the faults thrown by the transmission, engine and HDC as they are thrown .... I personally wouldn't be surprised if they read as something similar such as low supply voltage, canbus errors, etc ) ... that being said, the previously logged errors should still be kept in the memory of the ECU's. Make sure and ask the garage what the previously logged errors are from each of the other ECU's. Just cause they aren't displayed on the dash down't mean that they cant be read later.

Personal thoughts?
Engine ECU or its power supply to it.
Poor supply to ECU = poor supply to sensors = duff readings
Duff readings = ECU making guesses to to the fuel trim which aren't right
Bad fuel trim = bad economy.
ECU throws wobblers and talks to rest of car
rest of car throws wobblers.

I know that some ECU's listen to the errors being broadcast by other ECU's, and that they hold onto the error and can re-broadcast it. ( For example the HID lights hold onto the suspension inactive error ??? go figure )

Its possible that if the Engine ECU broadcast low power supply, then other ECU's could consider that a critical error to take as gospel and that they re-act to ( because low power supply would be an issue for them as well )

( I dont know the comms system well enough to be sure of that though ) V8 or else ...

Post #101390 12th Jan 2012 6:59pm
bozmandb9

SteveB wrote:
Just got another call from garage who in turn have had another call from land rover technical. They now suspect that the replacement injection pump may have developed a fault as well. So it will be in again to have more tests and a replacement injection pump to the replacement pump already fitted. Oh joy

They have checked the battery and all is good, in fact very good they say with good voltage in all conditions. Will keep you posted just hope I make it home tonight without another fault episode. Confused

I still think it's your battery, how old is it? Did they give you the voltage figures? Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #101403 12th Jan 2012 7:46pm
SteveB

Thank you all for your advice and guidance. I made it home without incident tonight, although the ideal ducked a couple of times when pulling up at lights but engine didn't stall. I have the car booked in for the 23rd Jan so I will get all the fault codes when I drop it in.

Hear you about the battery but they assure me that it's not the source. Guess I can wait for 10 days. I will post my findings.

Again, thank you for your posts, I have been wanting a Range Rover for ever and after finally buying what I thought was my dream car, I am a little disappointed that it has this fault. Hope I haven't bought a dog! Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101410 12th Jan 2012 8:12pm
SteveB

Battery is the original one from October 2006 Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101416 12th Jan 2012 8:18pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

that battery will need changing steve... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #101417 12th Jan 2012 8:20pm
bozmandb9

SteveB wrote:
Battery is the original one from October 2006

Knew it, I bet it's the battery! Unless they really know Land Rovers, anybody will test one and say it's fine, which it may be for starting the car, but the Range Rover is very demanding on it's battery, and very intolerant of 5 year old batteries!

I may be wrong, but 5 years is ALWAYS the time when these batteries fail. Ask me how I know, then ask 90% of the other forum members how they know! Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #101425 12th Jan 2012 8:51pm
SteveB

Still inclined to think the injection pump may have a problem as I went for a drive tonight and when I pull up the ideal seems lumpy nearly cutting out a couple of times and when driving from standstill the initial acceleration is a little lumpy as well. When at speed all seems ok.

Would a fault injection pump or maybe an intermittent fault be the real reason. I will get the battery double checked but I have read some posts and the battery was sitting ideal at well over the 12volt and charging over 13volt. But as I said I will check.

My garge did initially blame the battery then told me it was not the battery as it checked out ok and that the fault cods indicated the injection pump was at fault. Fingers crossed it will be sorted soon. Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101444 12th Jan 2012 11:08pm
SteveB

Would you believe it, a 20 mile drive to work this morning in the dark and not a single problem, in fact driving was a pleasure, smooth and powerful as it should be. Loving my RR again, but for how long I dont know.

If it was a battery problem surely it would always be there. I am still edging my bets on the intermittent injection pump problem. Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101551 13th Jan 2012 2:01pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

Hi Steve,

if you're local-ish then pop over & hook up to the Hawkeye as we can then see some live voltage data. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15 MY 110 XS USW

54 FFRR Vogue TD6 Touchscreen - Gone!
56 FFRR TDV8 VSE - Gone!

Post #101574 13th Jan 2012 4:00pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Im going to say battery aswell i had a battery on mine that i knew was faulty it had a dead cell and would not hold charge i deliberatly took it into land rover for a free check and they said it was fine just needs a charge
Personally i would get a new battery put it on charge for couple of hours then stick it on and i would bet that nearly all if not all your faults will disapear
For the sake of £100 odd at least you have peace of mind its not the battery onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #101576 13th Jan 2012 4:13pm
SteveB

I am near Maidstone in Kent, is that close?

I might just buy a new battery to prove it one way or the other. Should I go to my local RR dealer or can anyone suggest a place to buy one off the shelf local to Maidstone in Kent? Steve B

RR TDV8 56 VSE

Post #101582 13th Jan 2012 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>