Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > The iPhone, is it worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
The iPhone, is it worth it?

Some of my mates are all in a 'clique' type group in Brighton, they all have keep up with each other gadget wise and hence they all have iPhones, every last man jack.

One of said mates was up with us over the weekend and the 4 of us went for a nice stroll in the sun along a country track nearby. He used his iPhone to show where we were on Google maps satellite view so we knew how much further to walk etc. Then he showed me a load of photos from his wedding that I'd taken that he had on his phone, and a film, and email etc etc.

I was looking online at the cost of getting one and am still bemused as to how bloody expensive it is! The minimum is an 18 month contract on Pay Monthly. To get decent minutes and texts you pay £34.26 a month plus you have to buy the phone itself. They are NOT cheap. You wouldn't want the base 8Gb model so worked it out for middle of the road 16Gb version 3GS.

So for 18 months:

£34.26x18= £616.68
Cost of phone £184.98

total cost for 18 months = £801.66 = £44.54/month

is it REALLY worth the extra money?

If you take out a 24 month contract it lowers the monthly cost to just under £38.

I pay £15/month on O2 for a rolling 1 month contract with more minutes and texts than I can handle.

What are people's views? Seems like spending a lot of money to be seen to have an iPhone to me. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #6843 10th Aug 2009 3:05pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Go for the N97 - the features are all twice as good, the built in FM transmitter is awsome.

When you get bored of the touch screen you can use the qwerty. And with the iPhone, you can only use your finger on the screen, not the end of your pen etc, so some of the fiddly things are near impossible to use, the N97 on the other hand has a much better screen.

Dan 

Post #6844 10th Aug 2009 3:10pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Or even better a windows based mobile.

I have a T-Mobile version of the HTC touch Diamond on flext.

Great package, as I get an amount £120 / month to spend, not x minutes + x txt'S and have internet as well, all for £36 / month

Post #6846 10th Aug 2009 3:39pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

does the N97 have the flexibility of apps and all that jazz that the iPhone has or are you limited to what Nokia build and sell you? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #6847 10th Aug 2009 3:50pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

The Nokia runs Symbian (Think that's how you spell it) operating software, so will run anything compatable

Post #6848 10th Aug 2009 3:53pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Nokia now have OVI which is the equiv of the App store, except you dont need to install the MMS application because low and behold nokia's have been able to send a picture message for the last 5+ years! Oh, they have always been able to do video too! Without buying an app for it!

The connectivity options are superior on the N97 too, supporting GPRS 3G 3.5G EDGE and HSDPA and of course WiFi.

5MP camera with flash and a lense cover, vs 3mp and fa, takes reasonable pics 

Post #6851 10th Aug 2009 4:07pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
Re: The iPhone, is it worth it?

RRUK wrote:
Some of my mates are all in a 'clique' type group in Brighton

Easy Tiger!!!! I have heard about those groups Rolling with laughter

On a serious note Adam, I am a blackberry user/owner and was led to believe that for business puposes they are the best. However, went away to Cornwall on a lads weekend recently and all my friends had iPhones and must say i was impressed and felt uncool and left out with my Blackberry. I am due an upgrade but i am an orange user and use there mobile broadband etc. Considered getting an iphone and using the blackberry for my other number BUT you can only get iphones on O2. they have poor reception where i live. Someone said that O2 had the initial contract for the iphone but soon will be ended. Anyone know when this is as i need a cool phone and wanted an ipod so this can do both Big Cry

Post #6857 10th Aug 2009 4:48pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

I heard it will be october for the iPhone on orange. Might be worth waiting, but no idea of costs.

Post #6862 10th Aug 2009 5:28pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

If it is October i will wait. Be good to have a Blackberry and a an iphone Thumbs Up

Post #6863 10th Aug 2009 5:32pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Just got the Missus the new 16gb 3GS Iphone, she only want's it coz it look's nice don't think she knows the capabilities of it , bit like myself........ Confused

Last edited by JOKER on 2nd Sep 2009 8:53am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #6893 12th Aug 2009 6:51pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've had a 16Gb 3G iPhone since March and I love it. I don't consider it to be that expensive for what I get. I pay £35 a month, which is what I used to pay on Orange for similar minutes and texts. That was for a Samsung G600 and it was an 18 month contract. The difference was, I didn't have to pay for the G600 whereas there was an outlay for the iPhone. One nil to Orange so far.
I get unlimited internet on this contract however, and this to me outweighs the previous contract I had with Orange by miles.
If I went on the internet with the Samsung, I was charged per megabyte. Over 18 months using it "frequently", I would easily have run up over a £180 bill (roughly £10 a month moderate usage) - more than the cost of the iPhone handset.
I didn't bother with any packages on Orange that would allow internet access on the cheap as the handset was slow and wouldn't keep up. With this one, it's on 3G almost all day and if I go into a wifi hotspot, it's even quicker. Pages load very fast and it does exactly what I want. I've got my Yahoo email on it, which is another bonus.
TomTom is coming soon with a dedicated cradle, which will double as a handsfree kit in the car.
I have no regrets buying mine and I've always had Nokias (except for the aforementioned Samsung). My mate has just sold an iPhone to buy an N97 and he's just sold it on to buy another iPhone.

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
Nokia now have OVI which is the equiv of the App store, except you dont need to install the MMS application because low and behold nokia's have been able to send a picture message for the last 5+ years!

Yep, Apple were behind the times with MMS, but it's now standard with the last software upgrade. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #6966 17th Aug 2009 8:23am
Polux

2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

mm hope these iphones are worth it my company just ordered me a iphone 3gs 16gb (white) for £40 for hset and £22 monthly

Post #7101 1st Sep 2009 11:12pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Have given my 11 year old an i-phone she knows how to work it better than me and shows me what to download and where it goes.

White man's magic to me. Confused

Post #7103 2nd Sep 2009 8:35am
iT LAD

United Kingdom 

blackberry for Boys...iPhones for girls.... Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

Post #33993 27th Oct 2010 1:55pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
blackberry for Boys...iPhones for girls.... Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

And neither for... ? Whistle

Post #33994 27th Oct 2010 1:57pm