Home > Off Topic > Test Drive of 2010MY Discovery 4: With Pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Test Drive of 2010MY Discovery 4: With Pics

I was really keen to get this one done on the same day I drove the 2010MY Range Rover, not to compare them back to back as that’s clearly not fair to the D4 but so that I could see how close the new 3.0 TDV6 comes to the TDV8 in terms of performance. I was hoping that the new engine would make the D4 much more desirable, along with the lovely new interior of course, and that this could be the next car I have.
The car we took out was a Nara Bronze HSE with rear privacy glass and the Almond interior. I didn’t care for the exterior colour much but that wasn’t the point to the exercise. The Dealer also had a lovely black HSE with black interior, much nicer looking.

The new TDV6 is ever so smooth to drive, and very quiet, it has a twin turbo setup and can certainly get up to speed quickly, much greater performance than the old D3 TDV6. I was told this new engine is 245BHP. I would say the ‘off the mark’ acceleration was a bit lacking and the kick down not aggressive enough, but once it was going there was plenty of torque there to push you along. Handling was very good, I threw it round some twisties with ease and the wife wasn’t deterred once! It’s a massive improvement, but just not quite what I was looking for, I felt a bit disappointed with it to be honest.

The interior is much nicer and less utilitarian and bog standard. The layout of the dash is smoother and has more natural flow to it. The steering wheel updates mirror those of the FFRR and the centre dash controls are neater and have much more class than before. The dials are traditional but with a mini TFT type screen in the centre showing vehicle information. The cup holders are better, a small thing I know but they have 3 rubberised grippers to prevent the bottles falling out as they always did in my Sport.

There were 4 main aspects to the D4 which would prevent me from buying one over anything else.

1. The still slightly lacking performance of the engine
2. The ride is very choppy, bumps on the road can be felt jarring the entire car, from the wheels to the steering wheels to the seats, most unpleasant
3. The front seats are too basic, the shape is just not quite right, the shoulders don’t feel in contact with the seat and they don’t adjust enough. I know they have to keep this as the cheaper brother to the Sport but I think they should have the same seats now.
4. The seat belt height adjuster won’t go high enough. I had this in my Sport too, it just sits on the ball of my shoulder and I’m not convinced that in a crash it wouldn’t do me some damage.

Would I buy one? Not if I could afford a 2nd hand Range Rover.
Pics to follow when they have uploaded to Flickr.

Edited:

I forgot to point out that the D4 now has keyless entry and startup. So no need to actually unlock the car, just have the key in your pocket and walk up to it, pull the handle. When you want to lock the car you simply press the little button on the door handle. Apparenlty there is no way you can lock your keys inside the car with this system.

The little hole to the left of the gear selector fits the larger keyfob perfectly if you don't want it in your pocket while driving. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on 24th Aug 2009 12:44pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #7027 23rd Aug 2009 7:12pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Look forward to the pics. Nice review Adam

Post #7030 23rd Aug 2009 7:46pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Now compare it to the TD6 you drive

I drive the FFRR TDv8 & SC whilst nice the handling is still not there compared to a D3, I know thst not what a FFRR is about but its what driven me away

TDV8 great motor shame it wont fit in the D4 so it might just be a RRS next really not sure Confused

Post #7031 23rd Aug 2009 8:06pm
JOKER

Scotland 

ken wrote:

TDV8 great motor shame it wont fit in the D4 so it might just be a RRS next really not sure Confused

Salesman told me today Ken they won't put a TDV8 in a D4 as it would take sales away from the RRS. Thumbs Up

Post #7034 23rd Aug 2009 8:34pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Nice Black HSE:

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on 24th Aug 2009 12:41pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7036 23rd Aug 2009 8:53pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

MICK wrote:
ken wrote:

Salesman told me today Ken they won't put a TDV8 in a D4 as it would take sales away from the RRS. Thumbs Up

Has long been the case, the Disco needs to be kept as the poor relation to the RR brand whether its the RRS or FFRR. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #7038 23rd Aug 2009 8:55pm
DG

United Kingdom 

It won't fit is the real reason Wink

Post #7042 24th Aug 2009 1:22pm
claud

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Corris Grey

DG when I spoke to the designer (I forget his name) of the Disco 3 at Hunters last autumn he advised the TDV 8 will fit. He reasoned the layout is very similar to the sport.

Do you know the reason why the TDV8 will not fit a Disco? 2018 Range Rover Autobiography
2010 Land Rover Freelander XS
1959 Series II
1950, 1952, 1954. 1955, 1957 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Post #7043 24th Aug 2009 6:22pm
DG

United Kingdom 

Because of the bay layout, which is different to the sport, the engine is 40mm too big to fit the D3. We were told this by the manager the Dagenham Diesel Centre during a show around and this was corroborated by the D3 \ RRS line manager on a private visit to Solihull.

Unless they are all lying of course Wink Having said that whether they could have reconfigured the D4 bay ...who knows ?.... but I suspect that if LR could get a TDV8 in a their only 7 seater then they would .... after all there would be a market regardless of whether it goes in the RRS or FFRR.

Post #7044 24th Aug 2009 7:28pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

From the conversations I've had over the past few years with various people from LR, the only one that makes commercial sense is that the TDV8 will not be fitted to the Discovery, so as to prevent FFRR and potentially RRS owners deciding to downgrade to the D3/D4 and thereby LR losing money.

That way they keep the prestige element of owning the Range Rover brand. It's a simple but effective marketing ploy aimed at keeping "Range Rover" a luxury brand with attributes that people can aspire to and attain, at a cost.

Putting the TDV8 in the D4 may sound like a good idea in terms of the vehicle itself, but then there's less to keep the RR special and a step above.

Personally, I am happy that the Discovery doesn't get all the same options, otherwise why pay more?. Remember also that the TDV8 is less frugal than the TDV6 unit (2.7 or 3.0) and the majority of Discovery are likely to be more economy conscious. They are the people who might otherwise have bought an estate car or people carrier but want more 'adventure'.(That's how the image and brand of the Discovery was born back in 1998) They need decent fuel economy (Hence the new 3.0 TDV6 doing 30mpg+). LR wouldn't sell big numbers of TDV8 D4's, in the same way they discontinued the 4.4V8 petrol, there just wasn't the market for it in the UK.

I'm absolutely certain that if there was enough money to be made out of putting the TDV8 into the D4, they'd do it.

More of the Review:

I forgot to mention in my short review of the car, that with regard to the front seat adjustment, they were of course electric. They also have electric lumbar control and also electric side bolster inflation, so you can squeeze the seats in if you're of a skinny frame like me Shocked . Nice touch that.

If they replaced the seats with those from the RRSport it would be a much more comfortable place to be.
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #7045 24th Aug 2009 8:13pm
DG

United Kingdom 

Ah ...OK they were all lying then Thumbs Up Wink

Post #7046 24th Aug 2009 8:43pm
claud

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Corris Grey

DG I belive the reasons you provided, however it still would be feasible to modify the layout to take a TDV8 one would think, they have just chosen not to for markeing reasons.

On economy I get the ame 25 mpg from the TDV8 as I did from the TdV6(2005 spec) commuting to work A3 & M25. I thnk they have made the TDV6 more frugal later in life In an 09 model I got 27 mpg ovve the same journey last week. I am still glad I made the change to the bigger engine. 2018 Range Rover Autobiography
2010 Land Rover Freelander XS
1959 Series II
1950, 1952, 1954. 1955, 1957 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance

Post #7048 24th Aug 2009 10:40pm
S1NGH

Kenya 

DG wrote:
It won't fit is the real reason Wink

True, there isn't enough space in the Disco's bay. It can be made to fit if you really want it but not worth the cost, imo. Better to spend a bit on a good chip/remap.

Post #7064 27th Aug 2009 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1