Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > new electric range rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
RRV8SC

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Taking into account that a RR could be described as a car for touring, what would be an acceptable WLTP range?

I’m going to suggest 600+. Very subjective because all of my long trips could then be done without the need to find a public charger. As is the case with my current FFRR, there and back without needing to refuel. Not that that’s in itself a problem with petrol.

Post #692683 15th May 2024 8:53am
EdJ

United Kingdom 

I've wondered this too, and agree that I'd like to see that sort of range. But I suspect it will be closer to 350 miles, given the weight of the car and the hints we have with the battery range for the PHEV. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #692695 15th May 2024 11:45am
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi, they're likely to stick to the 300 mile ceiling because the big tank in a fatty is really there to maintain the 300 miles for the petrol versions, as is the industry standard.

23 gallons of fuel is a lot to haul around, 75kg in fact, especially townies or short trippers, in a fossil fueled car you can choose to only carry 50 miles worth of fuel around to cut excess weight, i.e 50kg weight saved.

However, in an EV you can't do that, regardless of charge you have left, you need to haul around the entire battery pack and that's a lot of excess weight and it's weight that's the killer.

I doubt they'll ever fit a battery big enough to give 600 miles range it simply not going to fit within the physical design parameters of a car, and even if they did, you can imagine how much that would weigh and cost, it's down to the law of diminishing returns, the larger the power pack the more power your wasting actually transporting the pack and not the vehicle and the longer it's going to take to charge it.

So when your dawdling around town, you may have 600 miles range but you are hauling an extra tonne for the convenience and that's going to eat tyres, brakes and other components much faster. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #692700 15th May 2024 12:32pm
RRV8SC

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Sadly I think you’re right. And that 350 miles could drop to as low as 210 miles in winter on a motorway. That wouldn’t even get me to my destination on some trips, never mind a return journey. Bloody ridiculous for this type of car which is probably going to cost well north of £150,000.

Post #692701 15th May 2024 12:33pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i should imagine you could get a decent range if you pack some large batteries in and if you take out the ICE, diffs, props,transfer box and replace with an electric motor on each wheel.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #692705 15th May 2024 12:39pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Again it's weight.

Knowing it's all been handled by electrickery seems like cheating to me.

There's a certain mechanical satifaction in grabbing levers and engaging gears and drives as in your average series 2.

Clunk, Wirrr, Clunk etc. versus Oh dear, finger prints on my lovely dash panel. It's just not Range Rover is it ?

versus

Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #692708 15th May 2024 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345