Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Added vibration from larger wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Added vibration from larger wheels

I read that this would be an issue of I increased the wheel size on my car.

I only went from 18" to 19" but have noticed that when idling at traffic lights and in Drive, there is increased vibration directly to the steering wheel. If you knock it into Neutral, it goes away.

Can someone explain why this happens? I just can't figure out a reason.... Idea Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #997 8th Oct 2008 2:48pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Hi Adam, this is an odd one, because all the TD6's I have driven with 19" have be OK - it seems to be when you go to 20" that it only seems to become an issue for some vehicles.

Further even LR offered the 19" wheels as an option on the TD6. My impression was also that they had solved the problem with the 06 MY.

I was told it was something to do with harmonics - similar principle to a tuning fork - the engine vibration on certain vehicles was amlifed via the larger alloy wheels which transferred through the brake discs and brake system to the pedals. The larger 18" rubber cusioned and absorbed any vibration.

As LR fitted 19" as an option, IMHO it could be also down to worn engine mountings - are your pressures too high as well because some deaers over inflate tyres for rated for fully laden high speed use...

Post #998 8th Oct 2008 3:42pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

quick follow up. I have also compared sizes of 18" wheels to 19" wheels. The 18" whilst they are the same width have more off set approx 5 mm i.e. they stick out more (perhaps why this wheel option is also fitted to the RRS - to fill the bigger arch). The other thing I have also noticed is that the 19" and 20" FFRR factory wheels are narrower than those of the same diameter fitted to the Sport. Perhaps why 20" RRS Stormers are fitted with 275's and not the 255's on the FFRR. (e.g. Sport 19" wheels are 9" wide whilst FFRR 19" are 8" wide etc). Hope this all makes sense!

I seem to remember from some of your earlier posts that you noticed your 20" stormers on your sport were trashed wheras a FFRR on the same shoot in scotland? didn't suffer damaged wheels - perhaps the wider rims and lower profile of the stormers and tyres made them more vulnerable ...

probably not of relevance to your problem though...

Post #999 8th Oct 2008 3:53pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Some good details there!

I didn't know they had such different offsets.

The vibration is not 'bad', just noticable that's all. The only reason I could think of was the 18" has a bigger fatter tube of rubber to absorb the vibrations from what is quite an agricultural engine.

Oh well, it's supposedly better for your transmission to knock it into Neutral when stationary anyway, this just gives me a reason to do so.

The car looks way better on the 19's so I shall stop complaining! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1000 8th Oct 2008 4:20pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Just to add to this I'm changing for the winter & shoots to 19" from 20's the big differance is the tyres will be the new Pirelli ATR's (All terrains)

Thumbs Up

Post #1001 8th Oct 2008 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1