Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Dan,

SO SORRY! Embarassed

Found a set on eBay at a Vauxhall dealer of all places selling them off as clearance for £30, you can't argue with half price! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #106438 9th Feb 2012 9:40pm
pistebeast

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi All, I have today received a pair of snowsocks from Dan......mainly for a trip to the pyrenees in a couple of weeks.

@vaguelyvogue....yes they are now legal to use in France, if you go on the autosock website you can download and print a label to this effect.

@RRUK.....I agree they are a good temp alternative if you get a tug from the gendarmes and I also have never had to use the chains even though I have the snow traction system and I usually carry them as well but as you have to fit the centres and drive through France with them they are a pain in the a**e, so I leave them off and would only fit them if I really had to....not a pleasant thought in the freezing cold one of the advantages of snowsocks they are quicker, I did have a set of super dooper hokey cokey quick fit and release chains on another car and even they were a pain. Good price for your socks though, have a good trip and good skiing.

cheers

pete

Post #106443 9th Feb 2012 10:29pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

pistebeast wrote:
so I leave them off and would only fit them if I really had to....

Very brave - don't you need to remove the wheels ?

I'd resist having to put on chains as that's a pain if it's snowing heavily, but the thought of getting the jack out....

I hope you at least keep the jack in the boot & not in with the spare - emptying the boot on the roadside would make me cry

Post #106448 9th Feb 2012 10:43pm
pistebeast

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

@Alistair.....as far as I can see you would only have to remove the wheel nuts, as I said, i've never had to use them but I would fit them if really needed - as I have a house approx 50 minutes from the nearest ski resort and I would fit the bases before I left the house, if the weather/roads warranted it, local television or radio give good information with this regard....or there is always the internet, been doing these routes for years and only had a problem once or twice but there is always a risk hence buying the snow socks....just in case.

Post #106455 10th Feb 2012 12:06am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Hmmmmm, not sure about this stuff???!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYRE-GRIP-LIQUID...554wt_1165

Post #106458 10th Feb 2012 12:35am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Wheel nuts only makes sense I guess if you can chose the location & get level ground - I assumed you meant one of the mountain road lay-bys where the police can stop you & insist you put them on.

I saw the stuff in a can at Euro parts this week whilst I was picking up a battery - never seen it before. It may work, but I'll stick with my Vreds - still need chains (or socks) anyway as it's a legal requirement - in 5 years the only time mine have been out of the box is to try them out on my drive.

I did put the chains on my Jeep out last weekend when I was out playing though -

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #106460 10th Feb 2012 7:01am
VaguelyVogue

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

An interesting development being able to use socks instead of chains - I wasn't aware of that - http://roofbox.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase...-in-france gives details.
"AutoSock are regarded as "snow chain equivalents" in Germany, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Slovenia and now France.

When the snow chain signs appear on French roads, you will need to display a sticker (which we can provide) for your AutoSocks - giving some additional information in order to comply with the French national standard.

It's also worth mentioning that although AutoSocks provide excellent traction - they cannot rival the performance of chains in extreme conditions (steep slopes, hair pin bends, patchy ice). Ideally, we suggest you take a set of chains and a set of AutoSocks - to enjoy the best of both worlds!"

I've had to use chains a couple of times in the last few years in the Alps (03:00 in the morning being one particularly cold and unpleasant example after about a foot of fresh snow overnight with a very steep hill to get down) - so I'm not worried about the weight penalty (and I have them already)!

It also looks like someone might grab a bargain on eBay (from a previous post)...

Post #106536 10th Feb 2012 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12