Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Home contents cover question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ben2012

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue
Home contents cover question

To cut a very long story short my girlfriend is taking her ex employers to an employment tribuneral, all the docs have been submitted, now although you can represent yourself someone told me that if I have legal cover on a contents policy I could use that to pay for a solicitor. If I take out a policy now do you think you would be able to claim on it straight away? I'm some what doubtful about it! Thanks ben

Post #106806 11th Feb 2012 5:50pm
Joe90

England 

I doubt it very much.

You could try to find a solicitor/firm who will do no win no fee, but they will look at your case and decide whether she will win.

Or find a solicitor/barrister offering pro bono work (doing it for nothing for the experience etc)

Best bet is to see if her employer will go to mediation, in which case this indicates they are prepared to settle "out of court"

The option for mediation should be offered by the Tribunal at some point in the process.

If you are serious about going forward to the ET, you can "do it yourself" and the Judge should be understanding about this, but you will be better off having a legal eagle on board - they will take the emotion out of things and "dig" in a different way. I have just come out the other side of an ET (as the Company not the employee) and its a painful and tortuous process. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #106826 11th Feb 2012 7:47pm
Pauld

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

No

It would be similar to taking out health insurance, not declaring and existing illness and the claiming once the policy is in force.

It would also be illegal I think as you could be committing fraud.

Tribunals are not like courts and work on the balance of probability, I have been involved in a number of tribunals (as an employee and employer) and have never used a solicitor.

Employers do not want to go to tribunal and often settle before the case unless they want to prove a point. I.e. the claim is false and this can be proved.

Good luck.

Post #106834 11th Feb 2012 8:37pm
ben2012

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought as much to be honest, I'm not trying to con anyone but thought it might be worth asking, i think it will be interesting to see how it goes, especially seen as it the police we are claiming against!

Post #106841 11th Feb 2012 8:52pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I know of a good employment lawyer if you need a pointer but he's based down south, come to think of it Cappo knows him as well Smile

All the best for this as it will no doubt have plenty of stress attached to it Sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #106857 11th Feb 2012 9:55pm
tsadpt

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I actually disagree somewhat, but it's not home contents, it's sometimes on your buildings insurance. I have used mine in the past. A free service most people don't know about.....

Post #106968 12th Feb 2012 7:34pm
Pauld

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

But the OP is asking if he can take out insurance for something that has already happened.

That is like crashing a car today, insuring it tomorrow and making a claim. There is going to have to be a lie some where along the way........

The actual cover is irrelevant, but I have this cover on my home contents. I guess it is one of those things that people do not know about, and who your insurer is!

Post #106972 12th Feb 2012 7:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1