Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > *Difference between pre 09 and 2010 onwards steering wheels*
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
5IMON

*Difference between pre 09 and 2010 onwards steering wheels*

So I know the 2010 and onward steering wheels have chrome spokes with full leather (and sometimes half wood and leather). I have also seen chrome spoke attachments for the pre 09 steering wheels

Case and point

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Steering-...622wt_1196

My question is - Are 2010 and onwards steering wheels just had these covers bolted to them or is it a completely different steering wheel ?

Also is the leather looks different (tougher wearing) on 2010 and onwards range rover steering wheels, as I know the pre 09 ones would easily look weared and developed a distinctive shine after a short while.

The reason im asking is I may save the pennies and buy a new 2010 onwards wheel however if its going to go shiny I might just bolt some chrome spokes to the existing worn steering wheel and attempt to give it a good clean.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

5I Thumbs Up

Post #115042 27th Mar 2012 3:37pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Si,

I think the 2010 have a softer nappa style leather which is more matt. Not sure about how good it lasts but it feels much better than the older standard leather that does shine after wear. I have fitted it to my 2004, the chrome spokes look great and it is easy to swap.

You can always use a leather restorer to get the matt back to old shiny leather. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #115058 27th Mar 2012 5:32pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

The wheel diameter is the same and so are the fittings.

But, as Flashman says, the newer leather is thicker in diameter and feels much nicer to hold. The nappa leather also feels better than the hard leather of old.

You have a few choices:-

1. See if Dan at Duckworths is still doing his excellent prices on 2010 steering wheels. He wasn't when I bought mine and so I went to Option 2. If he is, that would be my recommendation as you can sell your old wheel and you get a Genuine part.

2. Powerful UK do exchange refurbished 'wheels to 2010 spec. Nappa, thicker rim, chrome. £220 exchange. This is what I bought (before Dan announced his bargain prices Big Cry ) and it's excellent. You have to swap over the airbag and controls, but that's easy enough.

The newer wheels feel much nicer to hold, in my opinion. Gazelio said it was his top upgrade and I have to agree. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #115144 28th Mar 2012 6:30am
Jsb

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I have a steering wheel off a 2007 with heating. Swapped for a 2010 wheel, £70

Post #115291 28th Mar 2012 9:58pm
5IMON

How much was Dan at Duckworth selling the wheels for?
I had a look at the half burr walnut (my range has walnut interior) half leather one which i would sort of solve the prob lem of the leather going shiney but, Im not sure about the look. its a matt finish and not a gloss one on the wood so I feel it may look tacky.

JSB Im looking for a 2010 wheel thanks anyway though

Si!

Post #115295 28th Mar 2012 10:18pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Can't find his post with his offer price, but somewhere around £250, although the previous price was £350+VAT.

The Powerful UK one is damned good and in stock and saves you the hassle of shifting your old one as they're done on an exchange basis. Plus you can choose between leather / wood and just leather. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #115312 29th Mar 2012 6:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1