Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Life after the Rangie...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
Life after the Rangie...

Chaps, it has been a while, just thought I'd pop in and see the forum is busy as usual.

Some may remember I jumped ship after £4,500 in bills in the last 18 months of ownership of my FFRR. I went over to the dark side. Being someone with Landrover blood buying a Nissan Pathfinder was quite a leap.

I joined a Pathfinder forum but it's really dull. No one posts porblems very often and unlike here I'm not on first name terms anymore.. infact I rarely use my computer anymore.

I've been sleeping at night as well.

Laughing

Anyway just thought I'd pop in and give you guys a poke... I know my Pathfinder doesn't offer the same levels of refinement but so far so good. Thumbs Up

I still have my 110 Landie as my Tonka toy and the Mrs has a Freelander for the school run.

I couldn't help notice that some design retard seems to have been let loose on the new RR.. the pointless side vents on the L322 were one thing.. but to put them on the doors... wtf! Big Cry 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #144554 4th Oct 2012 2:48am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: Life after the Rangie...

elpeede wrote:

I couldn't help notice that some design retard seems to have been let loose on the new RR.. the pointless side vents on the L322 were one thing.. but to put them on the doors... wtf! Big Cry

Really!!! You feel you can pick on the designer of the luuurvelly new RR from the driving seat of a Pathfinder!!! Laughing sorry, couldn't resist... (and i bet no ones got a sense of humour on a pathfinder forum!)

Craig Rolling with laughter

Post #144568 4th Oct 2012 8:17am
Joe90

England 

Nice to hear from you elpeede Thumbs Up

I guess the Pathfinder forum is so dull because it is so reliable Whistle .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #144593 4th Oct 2012 9:10am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Elpeede

While you have been away the general consensus on the L405 has changed from Arrrgghh to Ooooooh.

Most peeps now believe its going to be a fab car "Gills" an all.... Thumbs Up

Post #144596 4th Oct 2012 9:38am
JOKER

Scotland 

And once the aftermarkets make their " Styling Bits " for it , it should resume back to Arrrggghhh ……

Good to see you back on tho … Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #144597 4th Oct 2012 9:41am
MPK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Now let's recap.

I drive a nissan.

I don't like the side vents on the new car.

mmmmmm Wink

Post #144599 4th Oct 2012 9:50am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I used to drive Japanese cars because of their reliability and in all fairness they are not all dull (Nissan GT-R !!!!) BUT :
1. Japanese cars are not always reliable (our Landcruiser is a piece of crap that fails more than the proverbial LR products, a LOT more) and I have had and heard of, issues with Japanese cars as well. Don't forget the call backs of several big brands most notably Toyota of the past few years.
2. FFRRs are anything but dull, even in their most "simple" guise, they are a hell of a lot more exciting than any Japanese 4WD.
3. FFRRs are definitely more capable than any Japanese 4WD on road and off road.
4. The new gills on the L405 are not my favourite styling bit on the car but I do like the car more and more (especially after playing with the configurator yesterday Smile), it is still a much nicer car to look at than ANY 4WD that is on the market apart from the L322 IMHO.
5. Reliability of FFRRs may not be great statistically BUT there are a lot of them out there that have little to no issues. Although I would love to have a FFRR that is as reliable as the proverbial Japanese car (excluding duds like my LC of course), I'd still choose a FFRR over a Japanese 4WD.
6. FFRRs are more comfortable and quiet than most if not all Japanese 4WD (I drove a brand new Landcruiser a few weeks ago when I needed the extra seats, but have not driven a Lexus 4WD yet).
7. FFRRs have a presence that can still not be matched by any 4WD in the world. You can drive an FFRR when you are royalty (try that with a G-Wagen, Hummer, Escalada or any Japanese 4WD/SUV), actor, business leader etc. etc. No 4WD/SUV in the world evokes such a feeling of class and style. It even "outperforms" Rolls and Bentley in a way as those cars are considered a lot more over the top than a FFRR.
8. Other iconic cars don't seem to be slagged over their build quality as much as LR : Ferrari, Lamborghini ............

In short, LR has done something incredible with the Range Rover. It took a simple but very capable off roader, good enough for Sunday church drive Land Rover to an icon that has a very unique place in the car world. That in itself is a ginormous achievement and the relatively poor quality does not seem to have affected it too much if any.

There is no carmaker in the world that can say that in my honest opinion.

I don't blame anyone for leaving the light for the dark side after having suffered a bad quality FFRR and having spent too much money to keep it going, but that does not change the above Smile

So while I appreciate that people prefer a more reliable car to drive around in, I prefer a FFRR because it makes driving sooooooo much nicer in many ways. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #144609 4th Oct 2012 10:20am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

'ello LEE.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #144619 4th Oct 2012 11:43am
elpeede

Laughing

Rolling with laughter

Laughing

Well that poke seems to have worked.. Thumbs Up and I have the satisfaction of knowing I've taken your minds off all your FFRR faults for a minute or two.

For those who take this seriously I already acknowledged the refinement of the RR surpasses the Nissan. What they do and don't do off road I couldn't comment on as I never abused the FFRR off road, nor the Pathfinder. That is what my 110 is for.. and the RR Classics before it , Disco and 101 that went before it.. oh and the 4.2 SIIa Smile

All I know is the only part I've had to replace was down to a collision of mirrors by the previous keeper. Will it last, I don't know.. probably not. But for anyone wondering if they should feed the kids or the FFRR I just wanted to let them know there is life after the FFRR... just don't take it too seriously Thumbs Up 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #144706 4th Oct 2012 7:07pm
Bob the B

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

The main question is ............. Would you buy another FFRR Whistle

Post #144709 4th Oct 2012 7:10pm
elpeede

No.. not because I don't like them (L322) . Not because I couldn't afford the purchase price, not because I couldn't afford the fuel but because I can not justify the costs of repairs / service.

I always maintained the FFRR to the highest standards which may have been the downfall, maybe I didn't need to replace all the injectors (just the one), maybe the turbo would have whistled while it worked a lot longer,,, and maybe the autobox would have kept going.. once it decided to.. maybe the suspension compressor would still be going.. thats a lot of maybes that I wasn't comfortable with.

Work currently run a number of D4's alongside Pathfinders, the consensus is the Discos are preferable to drive but they spend far to much time in the workshops. Until that changes I'll be steering clear of Modern Range rovers and Landrovers... even with Green Oval blood vessels Neutral 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Post #144718 4th Oct 2012 7:21pm
Bob the B

I have to agree with you on the costs of repairs, but I still have a big smile on my face when I get in my RR.

Can you say the same about when you get in your Pathfinder? Although I do like them as well Whistle

Post #144761 5th Oct 2012 12:09am
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

I agree about the fake "gills" on the new car, I think they look cheep and tacky - especially when a contrasting colour. It's just pure bling and designed to appeal to footballers wives and certain oversea markets. Totally lacking in taste. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #144762 5th Oct 2012 12:18am
elpeede

Bob the B wrote:
I have to agree with you on the costs of repairs, but I still have a big smile on my face when I get in my RR.

Can you say the same about when you get in your Pathfinder? Although I do like them as well Whistle

I to once had that same grin, now it's a different kind of smile... I now see Rangies at the Traffic lights and think, "poor bastard!" and chuck them a quid through the window on the way past to help keep it going Wink 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Post #144765 5th Oct 2012 1:04am
Bob the B

^^^^^^^Laughing

If its me you see make sure its a bag of quids and I give you a wave back Smile

Post #144934 5th Oct 2012 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>