Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Warranty worries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Warranty worries

I've had my RR for a few weeks now and it has about 33 days left on the warranty. I initially found a few faults which I had looked at, at Guy Salmon in Stockport. Previously they've been really good but I get the distinct impression they're trying to fob me off with any repairs.

Q. Do land rover dealers have some kind of incentive for rejecting warranty claims? I expected that they would jump at the chance for any repairs because LR are footing the bill, but I get the feeling that it's actually the opposite.

1) my rear washer didn't work. They told me that the washer was only covered for the first year 'because it gets blocked'. I know!! They refused to repair and were adamant. I couldn't be arsed arguing and fixed it myself using RRUK's sticky on here.

2) I'd noticed that the off side rear shock had an oil stain on it and suspected it was leaking. They said it was just 'misting' which, despite having previously been a mechanic (as a boy!) was a term I'd never heard?? Either way, misting doesn't require a warranty repair.

3) the drivers seat heater intermittently doesn't work. They had a go at fixing this and told me the harness was being pulled. It's exactly the same as before.........

I've now noticed a flickering high beam and and delamo thinks it may be the ballast unit and two new headlights are required. With my experiences above I'm now worried that I'll get 'sorry sir bulbs aren't covered' or 'no, they're supposed to flicker because they're xenon'. Now I hasten to add that the flicker is a jumping and moving around of the beam and a definate mot fail, not just the usual xenon dazzle.

Guy have salmon have been previously really good with me, and I drive ten miles each way further to use them (I have a nearer stratstones). I'm seriously considering firing them off but wonder if any other dealer would be better. If there Are incentives to avoid claims then all will behave the same..........

I'll keep you posted! Crying or Very sad

Post #21116 26th Jun 2010 9:08am
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green
Re: Warranty worries

[quote="hoppy_70"] I've now noticed a flickering high beam and and delamo thinks it may be the ballast unit and two new headlights are required. [quote]

Just for your info - Each headlamp has a ballast resistor.

Unfortunately hoppy - Your warranty / dealership issues all sound very familiar ! Sad

Post #21133 26th Jun 2010 3:13pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

I'd suggest all of those items, apart from the heated seat issue, could be put down to wear and tear. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #21190 27th Jun 2010 11:25pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

I find warranty's a waste of time, the dealers don't want to do the work as they have to strip it down and then wait for the ok from the warranty people, and just to make things worse they may send one of there chaps down to look at the work, by now the car could of been hanging around for a week,what garage wants that, i had my car in at stratstones for the torque converter and they done nothing to help me so i pulled it out and went to landrover approved garage, after i had the work done, and i would like to point out that they did not cover the torque converter,put it down to wear and tear.. when it was due for renewal they then told me it would be covered on there new policy just not covered on the warranty sold with the car... i told them were to go! V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #21193 27th Jun 2010 11:56pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Well, sorry to muddy the current waters here but I have found the warranty to be absolutely fine on all my cars and not just land rovers. If I were to sit back and take stock over ALL the warranty claims I have made over the years I'd say that yes, SOME dealers can just be rubbish and don't seem to want the business, whether your car has 3 yrs or 3 days warranty left; however the majority of my experience is that I've had my fixes done, not always on first attempt, but done nonetheless.

I'd say that my over-riding success relies on the fact that I struck up a good relationship with the service team, sales person and the DP at the dealer. They know that I know what is right and what is wrong. They know that I know what I should and should not be paying for but that I'm also fair and will cough up when it's required. I never get angry with them but I'm firm and confident. If you ever lose your rag, even once, you've lost the game.

Overall I can't complain. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #21195 28th Jun 2010 12:21am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

not read all the posts above, but I have to agree with Adam, all my experiences with LR "original" warranties have coughed up. And I have had several justifiable claims outside the warranty period which were also covered with a contribution from me after a bit of haggling!
Mind you I have a few LR vehicles so they are keen to keep me happy!

However, my experience with aftermarket cheaper warranties are not very good - particularly the old Car Care Plan...

In summary the only LR warranty I would be comfortable with is the original LR one, I most certainly wouldn't pay for any aftermarket warranty. Out of warranty or from a non LR dealer I would rather bank the £ and self insure...

Post #21203 28th Jun 2010 9:47am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I would pop into Stratstones and have a chat about your issues and the potential for switching your business to them going forward. My guess is that they will fix all under warranty and they do get paid by LR for genuine warranty work.

Post #21205 28th Jun 2010 10:19am
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Well I sent an email to the dealer principal that looked a lot like my post. He replied really quick and promised to sort things out for me. I'll see how it goes when I book in. If they get it wring then I'll just start going to the much closer stratstones. It would be nice if I didn't have to go through it all again with then though.

Like rruk I've had absolutely no problem with genuine lr warranties until now. They've always sorted any problems I've had without question. They Aren't as good as BMW though. They once replaced my entire steering wheel because of a paint chip on one of the spokes. Said it was premature wear. It's how things should be, especially on a car that costs 70k new........

Post #21213 28th Jun 2010 11:11am
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I think the main problem is payment.

The warranty is paid by LR, but, LR pays the dealer at a slightly less rate than the ''public'' price and its not immediate pay. Usually the dealer will invoice LR with the repair costs and they will pay them 30 or more days later.

With the customer paying, the cash enters the dealer's pocket immediatly, so if warranty is near the end and/or you don't have a good relationship with them, they will try their best to push you to pay it.

Post #21215 28th Jun 2010 11:36am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Don't forget that all car dealers have comprehensive insurance policies that pay out for the work not covered by warranty. My wife worked on an SAP project for Toyota for a while and its amazing how they stitch it up. Can't recall the details but the dealers RARELY lose out.

They should be grabbing business left right and centre! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #21240 28th Jun 2010 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1