25%
 25%  [18]
Total Votes: 72

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Mine are a light factory tint front & rear, will dig out a photo. I guess your either like them or not, doesn't seem to be a half way house on here, didn't think there was such hatred though

Post #227395 6th Dec 2013 8:04pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Trommel wrote:
For those who profess to like it - do you not care about how it splits the greenhouse so awkwardly with only the rear windows tinted?

I can't see how anyone could consider that a good look.

Agree - you need to tint them all or it looks slightly odd.

I have 3 different tint levels - lightest on the front sides, then darker on the rear doors & even darker in the boot.

Post #227433 6th Dec 2013 11:00pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Interesting thread this!!

Post #227450 7th Dec 2013 12:04am
Willo98

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

On my way home I go via Connaught Square just north of Hyde Park in London which is home to the Blairs and there is always a rake of Solihull's finest parked in the square, and there are two or three FFRR's in black with clear glass all round and it just doesn't look quite right.... It might be the armed police stood behind it putting me off......

I do agree though because I always have to hit the rear windows down before reversing into the drive.

Checked on Google street view and Connaught Sq;s not been updated since Blair was in power.....

Post #227464 7th Dec 2013 12:42am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

"... profess to like it" - I don't pretend to like it, I do like it (factory fit only though), not only on these but on other prestige cars. Not actually keen on the front windows being tinted too though as I always associate such a look with something sinister but I can understand why a number of people would like the all round look.

"I can't see how anyone could consider that [rear only privacy glass] a good look." - Opinions vary and not everybody will share yours either.

Agree with Wealy too. Very interesting thread. I'd always thought that more people would go for factory fit privacy/ sun protection glass on prestige cars if given the choice.

If the thread still has legs a vote button might be interesting.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 7th Dec 2013 3:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #227482 7th Dec 2013 9:38am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

pld118 wrote:
"I can't see how anyone could consider that [privacy glass] a good look"

Don't put words into my mouth - that is not what I said.

My comment related to the ridiculous visual split which rear-only tinted glass causes. Car greenhouses aren't designed to be broken up like that, which is why it looks so awful - more so with lighter paint colours. I imagine the designers hate it. It's particularly relevant on a Range Rover because the "floating roof" design key depends upon the greenhouse being contiguous for its effect.

You might as well paint the back doors a different colour for a similar statement.

pld118 wrote:
prestige

Now we're getting somewhere. Is it driven by a perceived status issue, whereby those with ghetto glass hope they're announcing to the rest of the world that what goes on in their "prestige" bling-wagon is just too important to be seen (but only in the back)?

Or is it something to do with dogging?

Post #227518 7th Dec 2013 1:51pm
pld118

I've made my own observations regarding privacy glass.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Apologies if you interpreted to the contrary.

Last edited by pld118 on 7th Dec 2013 3:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #227529 7th Dec 2013 2:59pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

So let's focus on the visual aspect - can anyone genuinely claim to prefer the look of cars where the glasshouse is artificially split by only the rear windows being dark (as per UK Construction & Use regs)?

If so, why?

Edit - obviously no offence taken (and I hope likewise), it's only the internet.

Post #227531 7th Dec 2013 3:09pm
peejay

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Everyone's different and we all have different tastes and likes - what's good for one is crap for another - thank goodness for variety - we don't all want to look like robots with no individuality or imagination surely!

Personally (and this is simply me having what I personally like) I bought a black FFRR with black leather interior and factory tinted glass from rear doors onwards, I spent my money to get my car how I wanted it, each to their own and long may that continue, wouldn't it be too boring if everyone had the same!

To me it doesn't look at all like a van - my VW Transporter.........now that DOES look like a van........and I can tell the difference Very Happy

Post #227535 7th Dec 2013 4:07pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Firstly, I not much of a fan of the 'tint split' look either.

Secondly, my S/C does have full side tints. Not my choice, but they were like that when I bought her.

Thirdly, yes, she's an ex-footballers FF.

Fourthly, like Gary said, certain colours suit the full-tint look and I happen to agree that silver is one of them. It keeps the silver-black theme running more consistently on outside and inside.

Fifthly, and undoubtedly for criticism, here's mine. And, yes, I like it. I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #227536 7th Dec 2013 4:12pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Quite right on the 5th......

Post #227537 7th Dec 2013 4:36pm
pld118

Until reading this thread, I had never actually considered - on the Range Rover or any other car - the 'split' perception that some people get due to the fact that factory privacy glass is only fitted to the rear glass.

I understand it now although I still like factory fit privacy glass and think in most instances when buying a new or used car, I would prefer factory fit privacy glass. Not having it wouldn't stop me buying a car though but funnily enough, I wouldn't then have aftermarket tint fitted as I like cars to look stock, as much as possible (accepting also that my view here might seem contradictory to some extent due to my recent thread re bulb upgrades).

My mum and sister have latest shape 3 series sports (one car black, one car white). I wouldn't buy a white car but both have factory fit rear privacy glass and in both cases, I think the cars look more sleek and more finished with the privacy glass (both lovely cars too and - off topic a little - my mum's 320D is just superb to drive). I'll get shot down in flames for trying to say the RR looks sleek but I think - in my head - the same 'logic' applies to 'our' SC which looks identical to Bellini's.

This is defo an 'each to their own' thread Thumbs Up

Post #227538 7th Dec 2013 4:39pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Tint or no tint, factory or after market, half or full tint, it's all down to each owner.

Sure we can all have our own opinion, but ultimately all you do by airing your differing opinion is to upset someone who is more than happy with what ever tint or lack of tint they have on their car.

I for one have rear window tints on mine. The car came with them and although my choice would be no tints the kids much prefer the tints, so as they spend more time in the rear then it makes sense to leave them.

As to the glass house split, I don't see how you can avoid this, firstly the windscreen will be clear so tint all round is not really an option, your always gonna have a break in the tint, secondly having anything other than a very mild tint on the front windows is illegal, so again there is gonna be a split.

There should be no right or wrong with privacy glass,its one of personnel choice, sometimes dictated by other family members or even pets, or even security.

Post #227545 7th Dec 2013 5:16pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I was never one for privacy glass, but both current cars have factory fitted tints. The Mini JCW is black with black and really looks the nuts, but not sure it would work with a contrast colour. The FF is Buckingham Blue and came with factory privacy (LR was the first registered keeper). It looks good, but again there are some colours which it doesn't suit. Interestingly, the car I p/x'd to get the FF (Galway Green Freelander SD4 HSE) was sold on by the dealer with after market privacy and I thought it looked awful.

Post #227550 7th Dec 2013 5:37pm
Van Diesel

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Mariana Black

Willo98 wrote:
On my way home I go via Connaught Square just north of Hyde Park in London which is home to the Blairs and there is always a rake of Solihull's finest parked in the square, and there are two or three FFRR's in black with clear glass all round and it just doesn't look quite right.... It might be the armed police stood behind it putting me off......

I do agree though because I always have to hit the rear windows down before reversing into the drive.

Checked on Google street view and Connaught Sq;s not been updated since Blair was in power.....

Recently looked at an ex Royal Protection car in Stornoway grey. No tints but seller said none of theirs have tints as they need maximum visibility and also need to see if someone has hopped in the back when they're not in it. I didn't buy it but not because of lack of tints.
I think the Stornoway would suit tints but have put a deposit on a black one today (YAY Very Happy ) and not sure what to do. Pic attached and views appreciated either way. Also attached a pic of my D4 Commercial with tints you defo cannot see through.

My main worry about after market tints is that one or 2 cars I've looked at with these have a bit of a purple tinge from the inside in full sunlight.

P.S. As suggested above, I've started a pole for the 'tint or not to tint' debate

Post #227569 7th Dec 2013 8:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>