Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TD6 gives out quite strong diesel fumes when warmed up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SHC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
TD6 gives out quite strong diesel fumes when warmed up

I have a 2003 RR Vogue TD6 and only had it two months. There is quiet a strong smell of diesel fumes, even when the engine has warmed up. There is no excessive smoke at all. If I park in a car port or enclosed public car park it I have to turn the engine off for fear of choking everyone one around. I don’t know if this is normal (my old petrol car always smelt of petrol when it was cold but only for a few minutes) and don’t fancy chasing other TD6’s around to sniff if they also smell of diesel for fear of being locked away!

Any help/views?

Post #2488 21st Jan 2009 4:58pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

sounds like a fault to me, either a fuel leak or your injectors are goosed.

I'd check underneath / tank / engine bay for damp areas on fuel lines, filter etc etc.

none of my LR vehicles have ever smelled strongly of diesel unless I have spilt it on me or them...

Post #2489 21st Jan 2009 5:01pm
SHC

Thanks for this. I've not noticed any diesel on the ground and it only smells when the engines running. I'll have a look this weekend.

Vogue wrote:
sounds like a fault to me, either a fuel leak or your injectors are goosed.

I'd check underneath / tank / engine bay for damp areas on fuel lines, filter etc etc.

none of my LR vehicles have ever smelled strongly of diesel unless I have spilt it on me or them...

Post #2492 21st Jan 2009 5:14pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

My dad's TD6 developed a split in a fuel line but not leaking underneath, it stank of diesel though. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #2500 21st Jan 2009 6:09pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

When you say diesel fumes, do you mean unburnt diesel smell or fumes from combustion?

My TD6 stinks of unburnt diesel at the moment. I'm 99% certain it's linked to the fault I have on the Fuel Burning Heater, which I suspect is caused by a faulty shut off valve or similar, as when the FBH runs it smokes like a battleship and smells strongly of fuel just before and just after (the fuel gauge goes down quite a bit as well!). Is the smell you're getting happening when the outside temp is under 5 deg C by any chance (the temp that the FBH is supposed to operate below)?

Mine's going in to LR on monday, so we'll see what's causing it and I'll let you know, could be the same problem you're having, although I would check for leaks and damp patches especially near the exhaust as already suggested.

Post #2509 22nd Jan 2009 9:29am
SHC

Larry, Thanks for this. Its burnt diesel fumes and stops immediatly after turning the engine off. It happens at all temperatures, even when I haven't tried to use the fuel burner for weeks. I've also posted a thread about the fuel burner as well as it comes on (the fan runs) but doesn't heat up the car at all even at minus 2 degrees. I checked the fuse for the fuel burner and its OK (in fact the system/fan runs quite happily without the fuse in). Any light LR can throw on yours may help anyway (good luck with yours).

Larry wrote:
When you say diesel fumes, do you mean unburnt diesel smell or fumes from combustion?
My TD6 stinks of unburnt diesel at the moment. I'm 99% certain it's linked to the fault I have on the Fuel Burning Heater, which I suspect is caused by a faulty shut off valve or similar, as when the FBH runs it smokes like a battleship and smells strongly of fuel just before and just after (the fuel gauge goes down quite a bit as well!). Is the smell you're getting happening when the outside temp is under 5 deg C by any chance (the temp that the FBH is supposed to operate below)?

Mine's going in to LR on monday, so we'll see what's causing it and I'll let you know, could be the same problem you're having, although I would check for leaks and damp patches especially near the exhaust as already suggested.

Post #2515 22nd Jan 2009 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1