Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Project Fatty off roader....PICTURES NOW BACK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 31 <123 ... 678 ... 293031>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I take it that's a spell check error and you mean how much does a starter go for...

New one from Dan at Duckworths is £230 inc VAT

I got a used one as it may get drowned before it wears out and it was £60 inc next day del...

New one fitted now and working great.... only cost 2 knuckles in fitting it!!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #273945 1st Aug 2014 6:43pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Censored Censored Censored spell checker!

Yes, you translated correctly and thanks for the info.

Post #273964 1st Aug 2014 8:07pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

A nice write up on prepping up a L322 for what in essence a range rover can do, ( I prefer a 90 for off road though! ) Keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Wales has some great lanes as I have done most of the good and secret ones many years ago, but sadly some of them have now gone and boy there where great lanes to do, I have not driven a green lane for about 9/ 10 years now due to the 90 was more at home to challenge events. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #273985 1st Aug 2014 10:25pm
Haylands

Glad you enjoyed reading it....

Always wanted a 90 to go laning but at 6"5' I just don't fit, can drive one a short distance but it's far too uncomfortable to drive far....

Have to say the FF does most of what a 90 can and is like off roading in a Limo.....!!!!

It's also a lot cheaper.... a decent 90 is a lot more than I paid for my FF Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #274025 2nd Aug 2014 2:14pm
Haylands

Well maybe I'm lucky, but I never go anywhere and sit in traffic.... until one day last week when I got stuck in a jam and the temp in the Rangie shot up, I had the IID tool in the center console so stuck it in and the engine temp was 133deg!!!!

Traffic cleared and it cooled down, got home and checked the viscous fan and it was just as easy to turn when hot as it is when cold so guess that gave up at some point...

I was going to put electric fans on it anyway, I find them better when off roading at low speeds for ages as the under bonnet temps tend to get very high, especially in low box...

I'd had a look a while ago and found a pair of fans from a Jaguar X type were the righ size to fit in place of the viscous and shroud and got them off eBay for �25... I already had a thermostatically controlled switch in stock so just needed some wiring... These fans are on an 80amp fuse in the Jag, was looking at the price of a fuse and the necessary wiring to do it and it was getting a bit pricey, a decent fusebox was over �20... Was in Halfords buying a claybar (for my Merc not the Rangie!!!) and found an amp wiring kit with everything I needed including a gold plated 80amp fusebox for �25 all in so picked that up...

This is the fans, they came with a large control relay which soft starts them,

Sorted out the main wiring from the battery post (very bling!!!) also sorted an ignition switched wire from the ECU box to the controller..

Removed the old viscous fan and the shroud and tried the rad for fit, fitted perfectly, even had two brackets at the top which hook over the top of the rad frame, the lower fixings were directly in line with the original ones and a couple of extra strong cable ties on all the mountings and it's not going anywhere...

Found a sheltered spot for the adjustable controller, should be OK here and not get knocked...

Cut a section out of the top hose to fit the pickup, used a purpose made aluminium tube to fit it

Click image to enlarge

Plenty of room between the fan and the engine...

Wiring diagram

Click image to enlarge

Wired it up so that it only comes on with the ignition and tested it out, takes 45secs to drop the water temp 3 deg so will work fine... tidied up the wiring and took it for a drive to check for leaks... all OK

I am going to fit an internal control to switch it off when wading but I'll do this later as I have some plans and it involves taking a lot of the interior out..... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 11:19am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #275401 11th Aug 2014 10:25pm
Haylands

Did a separate post on this as I've noticed a few people asking about these cheap Chinese headunits....

After drowning my amp, radio and TV unit about 2months ago I was getting a bit fed up of it being so quiet in the car, also fed up of the archaic GPS unit and the lack of Bluetooth I decided to look around for a replacement.

I've had several Erisin all in ones over the last few years so I contacted them and asked what they could do, well they have just bought out one for the BMW so it will fit the Range Rover without problems.

They did me a good deal on a ES9753EU 7" Pure Android 4.2.2 with a car camera and a 6mtr power lead for �330 all in delivered with them paying the import duty, it was here in 4 days from China...

It has....

- 7 Inch super wide Screen
- Google Android 4.2.2 Operation System, Capacitive Touch Screen, Digital Screen (800*RGB*480)
- Dual-Core 1.6GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 0.98GB ROM, 5.6GB Internal Memory,
- support extended Media Card/GPS Card/2 USB Stick up to 4*32GB
- Built-In Clock and Calendar
- 8 Panel light colors, and you can setup hundreds of colors via RGB Combination
- Choose 76 open unit logos and Radio Area in Factory Settings
- Built-in WiFi Modem, support 802.11b/g/n WLAN
- Support Dual Zone function, while Navigating you can listen music
- Support Android Multimedia Player, it can play Music/Movie/Photo from local Disc or connected TF Card.
- Support read and edit Official Software, WORD/EXCEL/POWERPOINT/PDF/TXT.
- Support Google Play Store, you can download thousands of Apps
- Support Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car), you can connect a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Tool to use this function.
- Support 3D Games, HD Video, 1080P, H.264, DIVX Live images Formats
- Support HD Videos up to 1920*1080 pixels, Photo up to 4096*4096 pixels
- 4 x 50w Surround Stereo, Subwoofer Output
- Support Bluetooth hands-free function, built-in microphone and external microphone Jack.
- Support A2DP Bluetooth, can play stereo music through Bluetooth from your Phone
- Download phone book function, you can download contact information from your phone to this unit
- Radio Tuner with RDS, 30 Preset Radio Stations
- USB Port and Micro SD Slot, Support USB Stick and Memory Card up to 32GB
- Built-in Car DVR System, just connect with a USB Camera to use Car Record function. the records will be saved in
GPS card automatically, and you can play saved record on this unit directly.
- Support DVB-T/ATSC Box input, Touch Control and Power supply
- Support Rear View Camera input and reverse trigger Control
- Support Steering Wheel Control, special CanBus Decoder incl.
- Last Position Memory

and a few other things as well, although I haven't found the coffee making app yet!!!

I needed one with a built in amp as I've wired it in directly to the speakers, it does come as plug and play but this plugs into the radio socket so the amp has to work to get any noise...

Was straightforward to fit, had to trim some plastic off the dash cradle to get it to fit right but nothing too taxing, ran the lead to the rear, also had to buy an aerial lead and a fakra adapter.

The steering wheel controls work great and you can customise them if you want different functions.

The night time illumination was taken to the can bus box but didn't work on mine so I wired it directly to the lighting circuit and it works fine now..

I must say it is very good, the 1.6Ghz dual core CPU is very fast and button presses are instant (this was a failing with the earlier ones, you had to wait about a second for any response)

The brightness and clarity of the screen is excellent, and being Android based you can have just about anything you like on it....

Just thought I'd let people know how good it is if they are thinking of getting one..

Basically you rip out all this

Click image to enlarge

get the soldering iron out, well you do if you did it my way... and you end up with another large cubby hole in the boot and this in the dash

I never used the analogue clock that was set by the old head unit so I decided to replace it with a voltmeter... managed to get a green one to match the dash lights, removed the innards from the clock and fitted it behind the original front.... The head unit has a clock on just about any display and I've still got the one on the gauges as well

Click image to enlarge

UPDATE

Had a few people asking me about how to wire this in without the amp... you can then get rid of all the boxes in the rear side panel... this head unit replaces the radio unit, the amp, TV and Sat Nav DVD. this is how it's directly wired... had fun with the speakers as they are not wired as Rave says all of the different coloured wires are there it's just they don't go to the speakers stated....

It has a four way output at 4ohms so will run two of the speakers in the FF from each feed as they are all 8ohm speakers... My front door mids were both faulty and not working so I wired the fronts into the low range and tweeters in the doors The rears into the low range and high range in the doors. The front center speaker I have wired into my CB and I didn't bother with the sub as I'm pretty attached to my fillings and want to keep them, the unit has got a sub output so I'm sure you could work something out....

Speaker wiring....

Front right, grey, grey/blk from unit to blue/blk + blue/brn and blue/red + blue/brn both sets from small plug in Amp

Front left, white, white/blk from unit to yellow/brn + yellow/red and blue/wht + blue/br both sets from small plug in Amp

Rear right, purple, purple/blk from unit to brown + blue (from large plug in Amp) and white/brn + white/blk from small plug in Amp

Rear left, green, green/blk from unit to brown + yellow (from large plug in Amp) and yellow/brn + yellow/blk from small plug in Amp

The large wires from the large plug to the rear speakers are not twisted together and you will have to test which brown belongs to which speaker, use a 9volt battery and connect it to the wires and you should hear some crackling from the speaker....

Rest of the wires....

Red from unit goes to the purple/wht wire in the radio plug, ignition switched 12v

Yellow from unit goes to the thick red/grn wire from the large Amp plug, permanent 12v

Black from the unit goes to the thick black wire from the large Amp plug, Earth

Green from the unit goes to white/slate/yellow wire from the radio plug, Canbus

Blue from the unit goes to white in the radio plug, aerial amplifier

Orange from the canbus box goes to the slate/purple wire from the rear light loom, this comes out of the trim directly behind the rear light into the rear left compartment.

The unit comes with a 5mtr extension lead, the plug on the end of it is the female version of the radio plug in the boot so it is easy to see which is the radio plug... The Amp is the big black box at the rear of the boot compartment and has one large and two small plugs.

That lot might sound a bit complicated but once you have it all in front of you in the boot it makes sense.... when cutting the wires from the plugs, leave a bit of wire coming out from the plug in case anyone ever wants to revert to original, they then have enough wire to reconnect the plugs... Don't cut all the wires at once, just cut them one at a time as you need them. I used spade connectors for all mine to start with and once I had sorted it I soldered all the wires and used heatshrink.

I popped to see a mate of mine who is well into music the other day and he recons it's a very good system and sounds nice, even with several speakers missing.... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 11:23am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #276112 16th Aug 2014 10:52pm
Kiwi_V8

New Zealand 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Absolutely loving your work on this, head unit looks brilliant, liking the fan upgrade, nice tyres etc very very cool

Post #277021 22nd Aug 2014 7:10am
Haylands

Glad you like it, thanks, your FF sounds nice... get some pics posted soon.... Pete

Post #277039 22nd Aug 2014 9:10am
Kiwi_V8

New Zealand 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

What did you use for the interior LEDs and the reverse light LEDs, they look great!

Post #277150 22nd Aug 2014 6:48pm
Haylands

Thanks

The LED's for the reversing lamps were these

eBay link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400473615450?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

There are plenty of COB LED's available now to do this...

You have to cut the back off the light, solder 4 of them together, glue them in, then hot glue the light back together, with the IID tool you can configure them to come on with the "get you home" lights which works great for me as I walk back past the car to get in the house.... You can also see whilst reversing.... always handy!!!!

The interior lights are these, slightly smaller for the smaller lenses

eBay link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350782532349?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

With the front footwell lights and the ones either side of the upper tailgate, I drilled a hole through the lens and stuck them on the outside of the lenses as I wanted very bright ones here, the other interior lights were just LED festoon bulbs of the right length.... The two puddle lights in the wing mirrors were fussy and wouldn't work with standard LED's, you need the canbus ones...

] Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 11:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #277156 22nd Aug 2014 7:58pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Excellent work!! Thumbs Up

What are the connectors bottom left of your centre console, just below your green voltmeter? Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #277159 22nd Aug 2014 8:12pm
Haylands

Bellini, I am disappointed with you, you haven't been paying attention.... Laughing Laughing

They are for the CB for Green Laning

See about 1/2 way down page 4...

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic24082-45.html Pete

Post #277164 22nd Aug 2014 8:52pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

My apologies. I did look back but got distracted and.... Embarassed

Sorry, sir. Won't happen again. Very Happy

Exceptionally neat installation, by the way. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #277192 23rd Aug 2014 7:22am
Luxury4Paul

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I'm very much so looking forward to you plowing this thing into deep water and mud. Thumbs Up

Post #277561 26th Aug 2014 5:05pm
Haylands

Hi

Paul, it's going to the lakes in a couple of weeks, it get wet up there and if it's been raining there should be some action shots....

Ripped the inside out of it today to fit one of these

TK103-A Car Vehicle GPS/SMS/GPRS Locator Tracker Alarm Real Time Tracking Device (Search eBay)

Basically you stick a prepaid sim card in it and it will text you if the vehicle moves, someone opens a door, turns on the ignition or triggers the (optional) shock sensor, you can also track the vehicle and text it to turn the car off....

Not bad for around £30

I had one in my old Disco and they work real well, this later one has a remote control to turn it on and off and there is now an app for it so you don't have to remember the correct things to text it to set it up...

I fitted it here

Click image to enlarge

Well you didn't think I'd really show you where I put it..... Laughing Laughing

It's well buried and hidden, the GPS and GSM antennas are hidden as well but still give good reception...

I know it's not infallible, but at that price I think it's worth it.... Pete

Last edited by Haylands on 4th Jun 2022 11:31am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #277770 27th Aug 2014 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 31 <123 ... 678 ... 293031>