Home > General > Water in the Boot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hongkongphooey

Isle Of Man 
Water in the Boot

Hi all,

I've done a search and not found anything that relates to my current issue and I'm sure I've read something about this before?

Been away working for a couple of weeks and came back to find the RHS of the boot area esp the cubby hole bit pi$$ wet through. I've pulled out the cover and stuck my hand down to the bottom and it's a wet down there too, which leads me to think it's probably a leak as opposed to my wife sticking a wet pram in there! Now before the water starts to mess with the very scray looking electrics and connectors in there, I think I'd better get this sorted.

It's chucking it down outside at the moment, so when it dries up a bit, say in April Laughing is there any common area or faults to check first before I start pulling it all to bits?

Any help is muchly appreciated

Cheers.

Post #28564 20th Sep 2010 12:26pm
Macdaddy

2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

A common place for leaking on that side.

It's exactly what's caused damage to my amp, water hasn't leaked in to the extent yours sounds like.

Try cleaning the seals with the boot open and check for any blocked drainage holes. TDV8 HST Sport **Current**

4.4 V8 Autobiography and 22" wheels **Gone**

Post #28565 20th Sep 2010 12:36pm
hongkongphooey

Isle Of Man 

A good idea. I'll get some thin fuse wire and check the drain holes and maybe some silicone rubber lube (oo er), see if that helps.

Cheers for the response, I knew I'd heard something about it before.

Post #28572 20th Sep 2010 12:59pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

hongkongphooey - now you have had the dreaded water in the boot problem, Can I suggest a couple of things to do?...

Once you have cleared the drain channels and checked the rear boot seal - make sure that the leak has stopped - checking it by using a hose, spraying water onto suspect area.

and...

Try and get hold of some Silca Gel packs (Caravaning Products suppliers sell these) and leave them in the boot. These will remove the unwanted moisture present which could cause mayhem with your Range Rovers electrics by making the connections green and furry. Driving your car with the air-con on and windows up will also help to remove that moisture.

Post #28581 20th Sep 2010 1:29pm
hongkongphooey

Isle Of Man 

Hi Delamo,

Thanks for the advice, I've had a quick look and pulled out 2 scoops of what looks like the goo you'd find in gutter from the top corners of the tailgate areajust above the seal. The seal itself looks un-perrished and in good order, so when it dries out i'll take it off and some of the trim and see if i can find any telltale witness marks to show where its comming in.

As luck would have it, there is a huge caravan shop 20yds from where i live and I managed to get two big bags of the moisture absorbing crystals. Good advice, thanks, wouldn't have thought of that. Cool

Hopefully it'll be dry tomorrow as I'm back away again soon.

Phooey

Post #28593 20th Sep 2010 5:59pm
hongkongphooey

Isle Of Man 

Found it Very Happy

Was the main tailgate seal at the very top right hand corner, it must have a thin piece of metal running inside it to help keep it's shape for the corners, and had split there causing the metal inside to corrode and make a bad seal. Took a bit of figuring out, but with the c/d pillar capping roof liner and trim panels removed, you could see it leaking down the inside of the pillar straight through all the complicated looking electrics!

Temp fix with electricians tape until the rather expensive new seal arrives at the dealers.

If nothing else, the tailgates got a damned good clean and lube so fingers crossed that should sort it. Also, bonus,flew through the MOT no advisories Smile.

Mrs then said Ooooo I like the new car smell. (GT85 Rolling with laughter )

Post #28762 21st Sep 2010 6:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1