Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Insurers refuse to insure Range Rovers ( from todays Times )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Late reply...

Dijit wrote:
Call me a heretic

Ok: you heretic! Laughing jk

I do have to disagree on several levels, though.
Dijit wrote:
but unfortunately electronics in vehicles promise much but deliver little of tangible benefit.

No. Vehicles have become safer, more efficient, cleaner, more comfortable, and easier to repair (Yes!). Those are all very tangible benefits. Were there problems on the way to the mechtronization that makes all this possible? Yes. And, as this case proves, there still are some problems - but there always will be in any system as complex as a modern automobile. Let's not go overboard here; this is a serious issue. But it is an issue within one small system and not a problem with electronics in vehicles in general.

Dijit wrote:
Manufacturers buy packaged modules which are designed by third parties so we buy a vehicle with a piecemeal approach rather than a more integrated holistic approach.

No. Vehicle manufacturers go to highly specialized subsystem manufacturers - suppliers - to purchase components (headlight manufacturers, cooling system manufacturers, fueling system, etc etc). These components are purchased together with their complementary electronics. The electronics are designed with a common vehicle interface based on industry-wide standards. Were a vehicle manufacturer to go to one electronics manufacturer (Lucas? Shocked ) for all electronics, then the electronic components would have to be adapted interface with each of the mechanical subsystems. By an outside company (the electronic co. - not the supplier of the subsystem). With thousands of individual inputs and outputs.

Nope. Sorry. This would result in sheer chaos. The system of standardized data busses connecting diverse components is efficient and works quite well. Look in your smartphone. Or PC. Or the next airplane you fly on.

Dijit wrote:
LR systems and the poor discrimination between ecu's serves to ensure that few of these vehicles will survive to become collectible classics. All too often a single problem throws up error codes galore which are meaningless and masks efforts to logically and systematically diagnose and eradicate faults.

No. In the past the electronics may not have been particularly robust (see P38 RR). And above all they are perceived as such due to their complexity and intangibility to consumers and DIYers. This has changed rapidly and will continue to do so. Vehicle electronics are generally extremely robust these days and companies such as ours are putting vehicle diagnostics and repairs back in the hands of DIYers. And we are just a passing phenomenon as well (as a maker of individual user diagnostic systems - not as a company. LOL). And vehicle diagnostics with trouble codes is quite logical - and simple - indeed. Not every fault code leads directly to the cause - you still need to have a brain to repair a vehicle (but even this is improving in leaps and bounds). But with just a little experience, repairs are generally very simple to carry out. It just seems very complex form the outside.

Ever see a science fiction movie where the space ship crew goes to a junkyard and pulls a board or a chip out of a junked spaceship and installs it in their own to repair a problem the way a carburetor or axle was pulled in days gone by? That is where we are going. We may not be quite there, and you may not yet have those skills but your kids will.

Dijit wrote:
Many of the systems are more about style over function and the more gizmos that are thrown at the cars the bigger the problems further down the road and the shorter the economic lifespan of these cars.

Ok, maybe the massage seats or electrically folding trailer hitch on the L405 are just a little over the top (then again, maybe after not man-handling the heavy, removable hitch into place you will have just that extra portion of stamina needed to maneuver a very heavy trailer to the hitch - and afterwards you can re-adjust the slipped discs with a seat massage.LOL).
And, I dunno, but I am a pretty happy camper when I glide through traffic listening to my impeccable HK stereo, wipers automatically coming on every now and again, knowing I easily have the power to pass the stupid truck in front of me even in the smallest break in oncoming traffic without having to stop at a petrol station immediately after the passing maneuver (and not feeling guilty as my clean motor is hardly polluting). And these items will be no less reliable in the long run than a mid-60s E-type or early 70s Silver Shadow. And seems like most of both of those are still around.

Looking back, it seems I disagree on with your post on all levels. Laughing Land Rover and the other vehicle manufacturers will figure out ways of making the keyless systems work. We all fly these days and none of us were born with wings. Thumbs Up 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Last edited by SteveMFr on 22nd Nov 2014 9:43am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #294528 21st Nov 2014 1:42pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Well said Steve Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #294532 21st Nov 2014 2:07pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Nicely said, x2.

I can remember reading about in LRO in the early 90s of a couple who took there brand new Disco 1 tdi to North Africa and ran into mechanical problems. People raged about the silliness of taking such a high tech, gizmo laden car to such an out of the way spot. Now the TDI Disco is seen as the bastion of simple diy friendliness.

Yes, newer cars are harder to repair without support, but they're also much less likely to break in the first place.

Post #294935 24th Nov 2014 12:19am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

It was a bit of a rant, wasn't it...
Laughing 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #295006 24th Nov 2014 5:24pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Its not as bad as my old mk1 Cortina, I got in the wrong car by mistake AND started it up before realising that it wasn't mine - it was back in the day and drink was involved - thank goodness for drinking and driving awareness nowadays. Very Happy Geoff

Post #295023 24th Nov 2014 8:14pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

A rant can be fun amongst friends. Very Happy

Post #295071 25th Nov 2014 2:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12