Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Hybrid is back and available to order
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Friend test-drove a hybrid yesterday (in Belgium) - the change to and from electric is apparently imperceptible. His is supposed to arrive in about twenty weeks.

Post #303784 8th Jan 2015 11:47pm
SH-UK

France 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Apparently LR are losing money on every hybrid sold. Batteries need changing after 7 years-ish so not something you want second hand, extra price & fuel saving of hybrid compared to diesel used in a V8 is simply not worth it. If they want people to save the planet they should start making these things cheaper for the same performance not more expensive. Don't see the point.. Current:-
2014 Defender 90 2.2 TDCi
2014 FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
1955 MGTF 1500

Past:-
From a series 2 to 2014 4.4 FFRR Auto. with lots in between

Post #316749 7th Mar 2015 7:34pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Agree. Would also not have any new technology from Land Rover until it has been around for a while...

Post #316815 8th Mar 2015 1:55am
Philip

Has no appeal to me in its current form, but suspect tax concessions will gain it sales in some markets.

Post #316816 8th Mar 2015 2:38am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

SH-UK wrote:
Apparently LR are losing money on every hybrid sold. Batteries need changing after 7 years-ish so not something you want second hand, extra price & fuel saving of hybrid compared to diesel used in a V8 is simply not worth it. If they want people to save the planet they should start making these things cheaper for the same performance not more expensive. Don't see the point..

Nicely said. I've been leery of hybrids for that very reason. Once there's a flood of used hybrids on the market and the after-market folk get into battery replacement at reasonable costs, I take another look.

Post #316953 8th Mar 2015 7:55pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

paulmoran2 wrote:
Thats why I bought an IID tool...1st job was to switch off that bloody TPMS!...

Me too Thumbs Up

Post #316961 8th Mar 2015 8:25pm
Paul J.

England 

Currently have a MY15.5 hybrid as a loaner owing to a DPF issue on my 3.0D. I thought I'd offer some insights to anyone considering ordering one.

Essentially, it is the 3.0D engine with a slight improvement in fuel economy, but with the performance of the 4.4D. It is only available in Autobiography spec, so only appears as a +£3K differential to the 4.4D in equivalent trim level. It is arguable, therefore, that over a three to four year period of ownership you could make up the difference in fuel savings. However, some buyers will also gain from lower BIK and (in London) lower congestion charges. Nevertheless, it would be nice to see it filtering down the model range in time (I would have considered it in VSE trim, if available).

My other car is a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (plug in hybrid), so I initially thought it might provide a useful yardstick against which to judge the RR hybrid (only in terms of drivetrain; they are worlds apart on any other measure). However, it soon became apparent that the RR hybrid is an internal combustion engine vehicle first and foremost, supplemented by electric motor propulsion. The PHEV, on the other hand, is an electric motor driven vehicle, with an internal combustion engine to generate the electrical power (and provide a supplementary direct drive capability at higher speeds). This is apparent from the fact that the PHEV doesn't have a traditional gearbox, whereas the RR hybrid does.

Whilst the two vehicles are not directly comparable, I can nevertheless compare the standard of the RR hybrid's implementation against that of the PHEV, which is widely regarded as successful. On this aspect, the RR hybrid stacks up well. There are a few quirks in the power delivery, in particular in the transition from all electric drive to diesel drive, but it is no more intrusive than that experienced with the stop-start technology in the standard diesel models. You very quickly get used to these and adapt your driving style accordingly.

Overall I've had a positive experience with the RR hybrid, and it feels like a well-developed drivetrain, thus allaying any concerns I might have had of it being a 'beta' work in progress / first effort on the part of JLR. Having said that, I would like to see it being developed further to provide a plug in hybrid variant along the lines of the Volvo XC90 T8. If you are listening JLR, an all-electric range of 35-40mpg would be nice Thumbs Up

Post #330203 31st May 2015 12:14pm
Philip

The plug-in competition (e.g. the new XC90 TCool make them look outdated already.

Post #330207 31st May 2015 12:28pm
kiter

Scotland 

Had my V60 Plug In Hybrid for nearly 6 months now and if I am just using it on the commute to the office (round trip of 32 miles) I can do it on electric only, admittedly it does need a battery top up at work but so far my record for a tank of diesel is 1072 miles and it is a smaller tank to start with - just over £50 for a fill up. Think last time I put fuel in it was about 8 weeks ago. Driving on electric only is so quiet and the power is instant.

Also got a fully funded fast charge point installed at home and this has made life so much easier than phaffing about with the standard cable arrangement and it is fully charged in about 4 hours. Just now with a bit of sunshine I'm getting it charged for free from the PV panels on the house roof.

Didnt buy it new - no way I'd have spent £50k on a V60, as an ex demo though it wasnt much more than a new diesel version. The prices of these cars do need to come down a good bit before they will gain popularity. Only downsides are the smaller boot capacity and people sometimes do step out in front of you as they dont hear it - supermarket car parks are the worst.

Wouldnt work if you were regularly driving long distances as the diesel economy is only about 37mpg and in my experience the electric only range is 24 miles max and thats with no air con etc, this drops quickly with lights and wipers - during winter I reckon the same journey in the dark and raining was nearer 18 miles.

Overall I'm really pleased with the car - it is so comfortable, has AWD if I need it and in power mode (diesel and electric) it can really shift plus I pay no road tax.

Post #330257 31st May 2015 4:57pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

Its completely old tech compared to what Tesla offer in the model S.

I drove their new p85d yesterday.....complete game changer, complete EV, nearly 700hp, 4wd, 300 mile range and £4 to charge it up (or free from a public charger).

Got into my rr after and it felt like an old crate! Ive not driven the hybrid but I suspect its not in the same ball park. '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #330296 31st May 2015 8:25pm
Paul J.

England 

Off Topic

The tesla approach will not work for a vehicle the size of a FFRR; a plug in hybrid makes more sense for the larger vehicle. Also, be very wary of the 300 mile range claim. It will be "up to" 300 mile range, and will only be achievable if you drive like Miss Daisy with the air con off, whilst driving behind a lorry, downhill, with the wind behind you. Rolling with laughter

The range in my Outlander PHEV is 30 miles under ideal circumstances, but in the winter when you use lights and the heater etc, the range drops to 20 miles. It is less if you drive enthusiastically!

Post #330328 31st May 2015 9:54pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

That's not exactly true...Most magazines have been getting close to the published range figures and the model S is a 2 ton car so not much in it on the weight front. This car is a game changer and all the major manufactures now have to play catch up. '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #330366 1st Jun 2015 8:38am
Lennox

United Kingdom 

Agree with your statement about it being a game changer. I drove a P85+ about a year ago and was simply blown away by its capability. It's such an amazing piece of kit. The drive train is unlike anything that's come before but after 20 meters is totally natural, in fact when I jumped back into my X5 I though there was something wrong with it, no regenerate braking!!!

The finish and styling internally for me is still not up to the best from Germany but for an American its stunning!

Post #330913 4th Jun 2015 8:29am
Philip

Friend has done 6k km in the month he's had his hybrid and is pleased with it - no problems, and it's apparently a lot more economical than the previous 4.4 TDV8 L322 (suspect that's not an awful lot to do with it being a hybrid though).

Post #330927 4th Jun 2015 10:12am
d3rm0

http://youtu.be/njc_W0gz70I

Post #330935 4th Jun 2015 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>