Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > big fat jobs worth on supplying a part
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
big fat jobs worth on supplying a part

hi all, got off the phone from landrover customer car, or rather could not care, Evil or Very Mad
this is the problem, i need the short piece of loom that connects to the reversing camera and then passes through the tail gate, i phoned parts and was told £400. that's right £400. as it only comes with the camera, its not connected just cant buy it alone...bit like asking for a wheel nut and being told you have to buy the wheel...so i call customer care and explained the problem, didn't give a Censored ,didn't want to help, could be bothered to even discus it.
how hard could it be to shoot an email to landrover assembly plant and ask if it would be possible to pick one of the line..
i said i would like to take it further but was told there is no further, so may be there is a landrover chairman that read the posts on this site, you never know but just in case has any one got any ideas or even a contact numbers/emails that could be pm to me so i can take it further.
i just cant get my head around it, you would think that they would at least make some type of effort, if it was still under warranty it would not be a problem.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #31296 10th Oct 2010 12:00am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Frustrating I know.

Why not get 1 off a scrapper?

Try these guys: http://www.cws4x4.co.uk/

Post #31301 10th Oct 2010 8:05am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I had similar problems with customer care. The guy was rude and unprofessional, when I asked to speak to his supervisor he told me "there aint no one higher than me ere"

They are an embarrassment to LR. Not that the dealer's behave much better. 

Post #31304 10th Oct 2010 9:53am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Land Rover will buy in the complete assembly from the supplier, and it's allocated a part number. They can't split that assembly to sell you a single part from it as they'd be left with a part assembly that no-one else will want, and can't be stocked under a part number so can't be put into the parts system.

If under warranty then the whole assembly would be changed.

Many parts are only available as assemblies and you can't buy individual components - remember that they have to optimise supply, stock and production. On a few occasions LR have released components where there is a common need for single parts, for example D3/RRS radio front panels which became available separately a couple of years after launch.

The fact is - that component isn't available separately - as nbunney has said your only source will be a breakers'.

Post #31305 10th Oct 2010 9:59am
mercuryf1

Malaysia 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Daveo, how do you know that the problem is with the loom itself and not the camera? My reverse camera is not working and I am thinking of replacing the entire rear view camera, part number LXV1500180PNP.
if there is a cheaper alterative then to shell out 400 GBP, please let me know!!!

BTW I think the quality of the FFRR rear view camera is crap compared to other (cheaper!!) cars. At least mine was, before it decided to not work anymore! '01 1.8i Freelander. Grey/ grey
'06 4.2 S/C Buckingham Blue/ Parchment
'15 5.0 S/C SVA Loire blue/ Black

Post #31316 10th Oct 2010 11:52am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

I was going to try to explain as well - Martin beat me to it Razz
Every single component that reaches an assembly line is accounted for in advance these days. Bins where the guy assembling the rear hatch reaches to pull out the needed parts after reading the build sheet are 30 years ago.

Dave it really isn't a shortcoming of LR that they can't sell you a chunk of loom - it's just too rare and for that reason too expensive to do something like that.
It is a shortcoming of LR customer care that they can't manage to explain that to you in a reasonable fashion but Martin can... 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #31317 10th Oct 2010 12:17pm
daveo

I do understand that they are sold as one unit with one part number but come on we are not talking a Nissan micra here, these are prestigious cars and reflect that in the price. what i would of like to here from customer service is, "sorry, please leave it with me and i will make a few calls to see if we can accommodate you", but all i got was a big fat jobs worth no Exclamation
has any one got an email for someone at landrover i could complain to... V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #31319 10th Oct 2010 1:10pm
daveo

hi, its not the camera i tested it on my mates car, its the loom 100%, yes there are better cameras out there and i have even got a four camera system to fit tomy car when i get time, its the fact that they just cant be bothered to help, well not at customer service level, after telling customer service that i wanted to complain about it and then being told that it would not go any further then here, no reply no email no call back to me, its just not good enough.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #31320 10th Oct 2010 1:19pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Like I said...

SteveMFr wrote:
It is a shortcoming of LR customer care that they can't manage to explain that to you in a reasonable fashion but Martin can...

RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #31363 10th Oct 2010 10:16pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Hi Daveo,

Most expensive part of my reverse camera was the cable to allow the AV feeds in to the loom If I recall correctly around £29 maybe £39 off ebay. I'm sure you already have this though?

The rest was off the shelf. I think the camera its self was 99p from Hong Kong with the postage costing more. Worked fine. Making the bracket was the most difficult job.. bit of ally and a drill.. several holes later and some filing sorted.. bracket. One hole in the bumper at the lower edge to clamp the bumper and bracket. All neat and tidy and hard to see from behind. The wire feeds through the actual tailgate its self with some plastic fish tank pump tube slit down its length slid over the wire to stop the wire being pinched.

My camera has the tow ball in shot which helps when hooking up the caravan.

I did have to pay £80 for a short air con pipe years back as no one was able to make or repair the one on the Disco Evil or Very Mad 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #32223 18th Oct 2010 1:20pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

fitting a camera to a pre-facelift FFRR with the bmw ibus is fairly easy , but trying to do the same to a fibre optic MOST system is difficult and expensive.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #32227 18th Oct 2010 1:28pm
David

Spain 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

PM sent

What about a breakers yard ?????

Post #32235 18th Oct 2010 2:00pm
David

Spain 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver