Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Repairing air con pipes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Repairing air con pipes

Just took my FF to be re-gassed and it has a leak. They did a leak test with the UV light and found two leaks. Both in the metal sections of the pipes.
Can these be brazed or soldered? New ones are a fortune from the $tealers

Post #331231 6th Jun 2015 11:05am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

im sure theres a metal tape that bonds when you wrap it around a pipe.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #331233 6th Jun 2015 11:16am
Andy

It's finding the pin hole though. Unless it's left some residue from the leak test, but I can't see any. Will have to whip them off and see.

Post #331235 6th Jun 2015 11:17am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

if it's only a pin hole, then i expect putting a jubilee clip over it with some instant gasket would probably do it.

Post #331243 6th Jun 2015 12:03pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

the aircon system uses pressured gas at around 300 psi, (in order to make it liquid) so i doubt a bit of tape or a jublilee clip will work properly. if you go to an air con engineer, not a high street tyre service garage, maybe even a domestic/office type guy, he may be able to definitively pin point the leak, and rectify it. though the aluminium pipes are different to the copper ones used in domestic systems. but he would know how to deal etc. and more than likely not it as a find a pinholed pipe. those ally pipes can leak, but normally really bad, where they have been ruptured, by bending, or rubbing on say metal.

Post #331246 6th Jun 2015 12:58pm
Andy

I'll take them off on Monday when I'm on rest days and see if I can see the hole. Nothing obvious in situ but the chap at the garage said it was down underneath.
Pipes are £125 + vat for the two Shocked

Post #331253 6th Jun 2015 1:59pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

if you do take them off, you could be causing more problems, than you are trying to solve. i assume you have it de-gassed at the moment.. i would be looking around for the drip of coloured oil usually green. showing the leak, and if its running down from somewhere. also, the bolts that hold those pipes need a wd40 first, as they are often very tight. and can ruin the part they are screwed into. get some good light on the area before you start pulling it all apart. all the seals you separate should be changed when you re terminate them, but these can be £5 each.
lastly, while the system is 'open' ie to the elements, damp air is entering and are bad for the system.
air con systems are not really DIY friendly. to find a leak, you often fill it with say nitrogen, and either watch for air with bubble type fluid, or look for green oil escaping. you will not see a small pinhole..you really are better off getting a free second opinion, and guidance etc. are there any places on ind. estates, or railway arches, ie backstreet places doing car aircon. this would be my next journey, just to get a quote, and idea of whats involved.

Post #331262 6th Jun 2015 2:28pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

To be honest i didn't think £125+vat for both AC pipes was too bad, They're presumably be pre-shaped to the car. I should think if you had new pipes made up off a roll or straight lengths (it that's possible) then you'd pay close to that in the labour for bending and fitting them.

Post #331269 6th Jun 2015 3:18pm
Andy

It was tested with Nitrogen and a UV light. By the time I got to the car, he'd finished the test and parked the car up. He did point out where the leaks were and said once I'd changed the pipes, to come back and he'd re-gas it.

Zirconblue wrote:
To be honest i didn't think £125+vat for both AC pipes was too bad, They're presumably be pre-shaped to the car. I should think if you had new pipes made up off a roll or straight lengths (it that's possible) then you'd pay close to that in the labour for bending and fitting them.

One of the pipes has a convoluted section, so I won't be trying to make one!

Post #331297 6th Jun 2015 5:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1