Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Ok, so I've had it a week.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Ok, so I've had it a week.....

And it hasn't exploded or eaten itself.

Couple of questions to the mechanically minded......came to start it today, It was standing yesterday after a run on Friday, and the pulleys were really quite noisy at the front of the engine. Has been ok all week. Had a look and the top idler seems like it is in a pretty sorry state, the surface seems slightly degraded. So I popped the intercooler hose off for access and it has a bit of play in it front to back! So in guessing that's scoobied then Rolling Eyes it's another thing for the list when it goes in on Wednesday. I take it no play is the norm!

As I was playing with this I noticed that there was an area round the plasic turbo-intake connection where there was a certain amount of black soot, this doesn't seem to be a brilliant seal on this. Moves around quite easily, no rubber seal on it. Will query this when it goes in too. The evidence of soot might indicate a bit of boost leaking out, and we can't have that can we!!

It's running fine and dandy though!

So the list for Wednesday is...

1. Brake hose recall
2. Idler pulley
3. Small oil leak from bottom scavenger hose o ring
4. Starting to rust up on the boot lid, so paint warranty will do this.
5. Query boost leak!

Not too bad for week one. To be honest if I wasn't so OCD most of this would pass the casual observer by!

Edit...... And the other thing is that the AC on auto mode doesn't always open at least one vent! Results in a whistling from the top of the dash! Can be sorted by selecting one up or down direction to open a flap, but if you switch it back to auto it goes into whistling mode again, only happens at the start of a journey, ok after 5 mins or so! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #334896 28th Jun 2015 3:40pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Always teething problems... be as picky as you can, at the sort of money that cost it wants to be right with a capitol R.

Please keep it nice and fully serviced as I plan on buying it off you in 10 years to go off roading.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 28th Jun 2015 6:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #334902 28th Jun 2015 5:04pm
northernmonkeyjones

fortunately all appears to be minor problems which you wouldn't see on the forecourt and only living with the car will bring them to light.

the boot will be warrantied, I'm pretty sure of that as they did my old one, the top idler is £40 for the part and can be easily replaced, so they will probably not have to get authority on that, also the turbo tube is £81 again not too extortionate.

this is the state of the top idler, it looks to me like the bearing has gone and it has overheated and started to melt the surface. Its not the belt as its in good nick. Will ask them to take the belt off and check all the pulleys when they replace it.

Also the bottom scavenger hose is available as a kit of rubbers, so just the offending bit can be replaced! Have just been and tried the AC and it seems OK at the moment, think I will leave that one alone as the chances of them putting the dash back in right and not having any squeaks is small.... Rolling Eyes, as i can make the whistle go away.

haven't found anything else at the moment, and I'm looking everywhere......... couple of teeny stone chips had been waxed over, which i have dug out and used touch up on then rubbed down and compounded, can't really see them at all, not found anything inside of any consequence Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #334906 28th Jun 2015 5:35pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

That's a comprehensive after sales inspection nmj!

Ours did that whistling yesterday about 2 hours into a 4 hour plus journey but it stopped on switching off the AC button. Not recurred since.

To be fair, all of the issues you've listed, they will have to fix whether under warranty or 'good will' a la SOGA (the law does not require you to have identified all issues before driving the car away); more so IMO with an A.U car with the publicised A.U promises and "immaculate" pledges which to me means that the premium you paid entitles you - as commented on by Haylands - to damn near perfection, especially on a nearly new 2012MY such low mileage vehicle of the RR marque!

Thumbs Up

Post #334909 28th Jun 2015 6:32pm
stoutgoose

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

Mine whistles and can be adjusted like yours to stop this.

I had a similar noise from the front of the engine; a sort of 'shucking' noise when warm. They replaced the belt but it was still there albeit a lot quieter, so I took it back. It has been with the dealer for four weeks now; JLR have diagnosed this as the oil pump and the engine is out whilst this is being replaced. I am beginning to lose my cool a tad at the length of time they are taking!

To me, the noise seems to be more of an idler/pulley type sound, however they assure me they have run the car without the belt and it is still there!

They are also doing the brake hose recall, the front door surrounds for corrosion, and an exhaust vibration that occurs at about 850 RPM!

Post #334911 28th Jun 2015 6:47pm
northernmonkeyjones

This is what warranties/auc is for at the end of the day. As Ryan says, these things aren't going to come to light on a forecourt. It takes a bit of OCD to get the car perfect and most dealerships don't have that attention to detail, unless there is something obvious mechanically wrong, it won't get picked up, anything not on the checklist like the pulley will get overlooked.

Hey ho, if this is all I can find them I'm happy enough! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #334915 28th Jun 2015 7:05pm
pld118

What's this about "front door surrounds for corrosion" (not heard that one before)?

Post #334917 28th Jun 2015 7:21pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

^ I have that on my B pillar Ryan. LR rejected a claim against this when I had the rear tailgate replaced. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #334926 28th Jun 2015 7:44pm
pld118

Is that that the bubbles or blisters that can show underneath the black upper door frame trims Alan/ others?

Edit: just noted another member's post this evening showing exactly what you're getting at re his 2005. Yes I did know about that issue/ ours not afflicted.

Presuming there is no preventative measure that can be taken...

Thumbs Up

Post #334928 28th Jun 2015 8:14pm
northernmonkeyjones

Don't think there is Ryan, perhaps a good coat of wax will help? my 57 was never affected, nor does the new one seem to be, that's not to say it won't pop up at some point! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #334936 28th Jun 2015 9:16pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

09> are worse then the earlier models for corrosion Rolling Eyes

Post #334956 29th Jun 2015 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1