Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Froth in fuel pipe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
joeypineapplez

Ireland 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
Froth in fuel pipe

Yesterday I did a service on my TD6. I changed the fuel filter and now ive got frothy diesel/bubbles running through the clear pipes after the filter. As soon as the engine switches off the fuel pipes empties of diesel completely and I have to crank a few times before it builds up enough to start again.

After a lot of searching the conclusion seems to be an air leak somewhere around the filter. Most likely the o ring or split in the fuel pipes. I have checked all of these sereral times and cant find evidence of any leak. Surely if air is leaking in then diesel can leak out as its under pressure. ?

Is there anything else it could be. Car was running fine before this. I can hear the fuel pump in the rear working also. Really annoyed now as I can drive the car and Ive got a Speedhawk tuning box waiting to be popped in.

Please help. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you. 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #349662 27th Sep 2015 5:48pm
47p2

Scotland 

How far have you driven it since changing the filter? Did you prime the new filter before fitting?

Post #349672 27th Sep 2015 6:33pm
joeypineapplez

I drove around 5 miles. Ran ok but I didnt put it under any great pressure. I didnt do any special priming operation with the new filter just what I normally do. Filled it with fresh diesel and let the pump run for a few seconds at a time to fill the lines and filter. I was under the impression it was self bleeding.?

Is there some special priming procedure with these that im not aware of. ? 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #349673 27th Sep 2015 6:46pm
47p2

Scotland 

No special process I just wondered if you had run it long enough to get all the air out of the system, 5 miles should have been plenty

Post #349682 27th Sep 2015 7:57pm
joeypineapplez

Just to update this in case it helps someone in the future. I stripped everything off and started again. It was only then I noticed I was missing a rubber gasket from the sensor on top of the fuel filter. Its the one shaped like a capital D. I didnt have anything similar to hand so I just put another o-ring near the base of the shaft and all has been well since. No air bubbles, froth or hard cranking......well not for the RR at least. 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #350146 1st Oct 2015 6:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1