Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Removal and Refitting of Front Air Susp. - Photo Tutorial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just an update. Changed the front air bags for new Delphi. Took me a lot longer than the three quarters of an hour someone suggested. But then I am of advanced years.Wink

Joe90's write up was invaluable. I too had problems with the bottom bolts but it was three of them which were badly stuck and took a lot of "persuading". Eventually got them off and with the help of SWMBO got the new bags into place without difficulty.

The paper gaskets were fine and the centering is helped by the rubber locator on the top which, when guided into place, ensures the correct alignment.

Like Joe90 I ignored RAVE and tightened the airline before offering the unit up. TBH with the angle that the connector goes in I cannot image how you would tighten it up after the strut is in place. Not to mention the narrow space you would have to be reaching up into to get at the nut.

The bolts were fine for re-use although one had to be "helped".

Had some messages coming re "air bag inactive" and "HDC inactive" but have, hopefully, resolved them using the Gap iiD BT tool.

I might look at new sensors for the front although they appear fine and the suspension is holding up so far.

Quite a physical job in some respects but I was fortunate that I had access to a large workshop with a decent concrete floor to use the jack and axle stands.

Now for the next set of jobs which will no doubt arrive to be done. Big Cry

Thanks for the helpful responses and again Joe90. Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #359589 29th Nov 2015 6:02pm
bebechoon

France 

From one "of advanced years" to another, I take my hat off to you, John. Bow down Bow down
Wish I had your equipment, though! (I am, oeuf Corse, referring to your 4-post lift ...) Rolling Eyes It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #359594 29th Nov 2015 6:21pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Did my fronts a week ago, as the offside one had a split in it - not too bad a job apart from 1 siezed bold on the drivers side lower strut.

One point - if you are going to do this, the little plastic clips which retain the ABS sensor cable to the bottom of the strut will have gone brittle with age, and will probably break when you try to remove them (ask me how I know Whistle )

So, it is worth getting a couple of new ones when you buy your struts (not expensive). Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #359790 30th Nov 2015 4:14pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

FFRay, Where did you get the clips? I had the same result and used cable ties but would prefer new clips. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #359829 30th Nov 2015 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123