Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Fix or reinforce keyless system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bruzer

United States 
Fix or reinforce keyless system

Car theft is on the rise in my neighborhood and to my surprise even a 2015 Subaru was stolen via the keyless system so thieves are now going high tech. I've read about 2014+ Range Rovers being easily stolen the same way, so how can I fix, reinforce or add an extra layer of security to my older and I'm assuming even easier to steal/hack 2010 RR?

P.S. - Not sure this matters, but I'm in the US

Post #360813 7th Dec 2015 9:06am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

if you read up on posts about this problem, you will find that the 'way in' is through the OBD diagnostic socket. normally to the left (in US) of the steering wheel under tray storage. there is a flap that covers it.
you can buy a kit to place a lock on it, but its housed in plastic, so not that hard to get past. there is another way of cutting a wire on that section of loom, and fitting a disable switch.
what the theives might do, is obtain access to the port, while you are not present, at say a carwash, or valet parking, or an inside man at the dealers...... -plug in some laptop kit, and 'ask' the car for the ID info. and then maybe even ask you where you live, so they can return with a new made key, programmed to your car, and drive it away, with no alarm etc. -its kind of as simple as that. but the newer keyless ones, are slightly different. not quite sure how its done, but possibly, they pose as you in the dealers with say counterfeit info to get a keycard etc.
i heard of a scan here in UK, where a guy was setup in a retail park carpark, and a guy was offering cheap dent repair quotes. he needed to plug in to get the paint code. he would then send the quote to your house....where the repair would be done....if you still had the car..
Obviously, the home burglar method to get the easiest way to your car thesedays too. -you need to put your keys, into a drawer, and not on a table etc. -even if its out of the 'letterbox with fishing rod' method, ie a good distance away.

You know it wont be long till we hear a buzzing sound, and see a wi-fi mini-drone posted through a letterbox flying round your house with a wifi go-pro camera and a fishing triple-hook, and your mothers' diamond ring hanging next to your car key!

people get a lot of ideas from films like 'mission impossible' etc.

Post #360827 7th Dec 2015 9:54am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Locking the OBD port just prevents them making a new key once they have actually stolen your vehicle.

To protect yourself the only way is to put the keys in faraday cages. These can be bought online cheaply enough.

The OBD stuff was very common a while back on 1series BMW's where there was a blind spot in the interior sensors and they could reach in and reprogram through the window to the port and code a new key straight away. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #361014 8th Dec 2015 9:31am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Please excuse my ignorance on the workings of the keyless entry system…

Is there a way to remove or disable a module/ecu/receiver on that system (or on the key) but retain the ability to local/unlock and set/unset the alarm?

When putting the key(s) in a Faraday bag/cage, how would you lock/unlock and set/unset the alarm?

Apologies if I am being dense.

Post #361028 8th Dec 2015 11:40am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Blackbox Solutions has a gadget that "hides" the ECU so a diagnostic system can't see it anymore Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #361031 8th Dec 2015 12:08pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Thing is solutions like that just sip new keys being added, they don't stop the vehicle from being taken without the keys being touched.... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #361066 8th Dec 2015 2:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1