Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Interesting experience on the London Underground
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Interesting experience on the London Underground

I hadn't been to London for a few years and last time I did, I bought a zone 1&2 ticket on the Underground, which lets you wander about all day. Apparently now, it's all changed and you pay for each journey up to 3 when it's free after that.
As they now have contactless, I used my debit card and promptly put it back in my wallet. When it was time to leave, instead of getting my card out again, I opened the barriers using my iPhone (same card details). No problem so far. Later that day, I thought I'd try my Apple Watch (still same card details).
All went swimmingly until I saw my online bank statement. I'd been charged maximum fare on two journeys. I logged onto the TFL website and I found my journeys listed. It said I hadn't swiped out on one journey so the system had charged me maximum fare twice.
I contacted TFL and they asked me how I'd paid. When I explained, they said it was because I was using "multiple devices". In short, if I used my debit card at one station, I should have swiped out with it on exit and not use the phone or watch. Even though the same card details are stored, their system doesn't see that and so assumes you've only swiped in (or out) and so an incomplete journey registers.
Something to remember for next time!

Post #371864 11th Feb 2016 9:11pm
Contraband

Scotland 

That's very interesting... Technically tho' I can see why the system was confused with multiple devices.
I decided a while ago I will never use contactless. I'm a Luddite and enjoy the security of a PIN number.. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #371871 11th Feb 2016 9:23pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I'm with you on no to contactless.
One day, we will hear of a story, where a 'bloke walks into a pub' with a stolen contactless card machine, with a SIM card attached... and brushes past crowds of people, and at the required wallet height (in back pocket) ... And, Becomes the richest stealth drinker in history. How can the banks be sure the cardholder wasn't negligent?

Interesting on the oyster and contactless issue...I think I heard of people discussing this on the radio, -if they were to show their whole wallet to the reader, which card would be swiped?
The answer was to separate the card to be used. -as this means that pickpocket people watching near the exits, don't see where you wallet goes after....
I could try and cut out the chip, from an oyster, (simcard sized gold piece) and set it into an old onyx stone ring...

The new, never lose it 'wearable technology'

Post #371876 11th Feb 2016 9:39pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Its easier to use a pay as you go oyster. That way you keep it separate to your bank card etc. and your wallet stays out of sight of nefarious types. I have used one for years without problems. I woukd never use a contactless card on the Underground either, way too risky.

Post #371886 11th Feb 2016 10:39pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

/\

I'm with you Andy Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #371889 11th Feb 2016 11:03pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Have used contactless many hundreds of times with no issues. tbh the apple contactless system offers an additional level of security as you have to double click the button then scan your finger to get it to work.

Now I only carry my phone and business debit in the weekday. And use the phone to pay for lunches etc. Works well, and is more secure than a straight forward contactless card. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #371901 11th Feb 2016 11:50pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I think the phone and credit card business is ridiculous. Knowing the railway laws and rights batter than most, I can see the potential for injustices increasing for the passenger, by nature of how similar can already happen. Mad

It's the same with this paying with your phone thing; has anyone ever honestly said "Arghh. This card is so big and heavy; if only I didn't have to carry it..."? Rolling Eyes

I highly recommend Oyster though. It has helped me to make some near incredible cross London interchanges when trains have been late. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #371954 12th Feb 2016 11:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1