Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Towing electrics again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chefkenmore

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue
Towing electrics again

I've had fitted by the dealer, 13 pin electrics and module, then programmed!
It should when connected to the schooner
1) disconnect the sensors
2) lock the car suspension
3) change the gearing
4) stop the rear fog lamps illuminating
Only the sensors stop working!! I paid £350 to have this kit fitted!
So, back to the dealers last Monday so they can investigate what's wrong? They give me a discovery sport as courtesy car! Absolute pants!!!
Anyway, after hours of investigating! They tell me that there is no fault with any of the kit they fitted, originately! But after sending info back to Landrover, they have come back and said I have a faulty LCM! And now their time is chargeable at £95 per hour!!
So, total bill, with a bit of discount is kicking £700!!! They fit new LCM and no difference! They are now telling me there is interference in the electrics when fitting their light board!!
So further investigation needed!!
I only want the fogs to go off the car when pulling the tintent!! As it should!
Down to Wales this weekend with their disco.....................
Miss my Range Rover !! 2014 vogue se

Post #372094 12th Feb 2016 10:30pm
steadyaway

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Exactly the same as mine. Only the rear park assist disabled. I decided to live with it. I figure that having the suspension raise and lower if I wish to be an advantage. I can use command shift if I require different gearing and I'm not too bothered about the rear fogs - in those conditions the more lights the better in my opinion.

Post #372109 12th Feb 2016 11:46pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Having control over the height of the car can be an advantage, especially when towing a long caravan offroad... I have in the past sited my caravan in less than ideal sites, when working at events, and having control over the A frame and the rear heights has avoided a lot of damage to the tin tent.

As for this obsession with turning the rear fogs off in the car, I can't see what all the fuss is about. For years I have had rear fogs on the car NOT go out when towing, and?, it hasn't stopped me. Front marker lights on the trailer are a much bigger source of annoyance...... when they are at mirror height, you get a constant glare from them, especially if they are strong led ones Evil or Very Mad

And the not changing the gearbox is a major advantage, as I recon that this feature is the biggest single factor in the demise of my Torque Converter, and is major source of poor fuel consumption when towing.

So the only worthwhile feature that the all singing and dancing L/R trailer electrics has is the rear PDC disablement, which lets face it, is only a real advantage when going backwards, and as I'm in a habit of mainly going forwards when towing................ Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #372158 13th Feb 2016 2:12pm
chefkenmore

Fair comment on all points! But, I didn't request the tow electrics to work that way, its what it should do, that's all! Had I not gone down the Land Rover route on installation, then it wouldn't have bothered me! 2014 vogue se

Post #372170 13th Feb 2016 4:11pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Point taken, you paid for it, not excuses Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #372193 13th Feb 2016 7:41pm
Pvw10

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Firenze Red

As usual you pay for the expertise and get problems and your expected to pay your way out of it, despicable Many thanks
Paul

Post #372197 13th Feb 2016 8:03pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I personally would have an issue that they fitted the tow pack, and obviously didn't test it at all, until you took it back screaming............ I would have thought that they would test the kit to make sure that it was doing everything it was supposed to........ Still what does some spotty little apprentice know, all they have to do is follow the pictures in the L/R workshop comic Shocked

Yes you read it right, all the installation guides are a series of pictures in a numbered sequence, there is no writing or description..... I suppose that it's multi national without the need for different publications, but it obviously doesn't have a test sequence Evil or Very Mad

It's like a game of Simple Simon, except this one goes Land Rover Test Book says change this......... Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #372254 14th Feb 2016 1:45am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Just found your thread Chef!

We had a 2007 TDV8 and now have a 2006 SC and when connecting the trailer or caravan the behaviour between both cars was the same. The rear parking sensors were disabled when the trailer was connected, that I am certain of as it bugs me when I unplug the electrics and the rear sensors go off as I unhitch the trailer.

Foglight's I can't remember but I will check next time I hitch the trailer.

With regards to locking the suspension, how do you mean? Both of the cars have always allowed me to override the suspension when towing so if I've needed more ground clearance on the car I can raise it or if I've needed more clearance at the back of the trailer I've been able to lower the car.

If the car is lowering the suspension when you're towing the caravan, then you sir have bigger plums then I do! Bow down The L322 doesn't lower it's suspension on the motorway until you're doing over 100mph. At which point it drops the suspension by 20mm according to the workshop manual.

When I was in Germany recently I observed the SC lowering itself. If you are on the 4x4 info screen on the car there is a bar at the top of the screen that says Standard. When my speeds were between 110 and 120mph I noticed that the word Standard changed to Lowering with a flashing down arrow. At this point I needed the sat nav back so I switched the screen over and didn't notice what speed it switched back at I'm afraid.

Just found this thread about the suspension lowering too:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post70693.html

I've never noticed any change in the gearing on either car I'm afraid.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #374229 26th Feb 2016 12:40am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked 100 Mph Shocked

I think you are a bit out with your speeds there bud, this is from the handbook

"The motorway height setting is activated
automatically when the electronic air
suspension system detects the vehicle being
driven at more than 60 mph, for more than 30
seconds."

But having said that, you should not trigger the Motorway height settings if you are towing within the Legal speed limit for a car and trailer Whistle Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #374472 27th Feb 2016 8:33am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you are kinda right and wrong Chef, the 2002-2005 years lower around 60-65mph and the newer FF's come down at 100mph.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #374474 27th Feb 2016 8:52am
Mcnallykev

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Barolo Black

Slight highjack but how do you get the sat nav direction on your dash? Mine is 2010 lcd model.

Thumbs Up

Post #374487 27th Feb 2016 9:36am
chefkenmore

I'm going to the dealer, Pentland, Perth on Monday, with the tintent on the back! Now I don't care about the " features" it is, what it is! But I have now spent in excess of £1000 with them, and no further forward except that they have said there is a pulse in the wiring which is corrupting the signal to the rear towing electrics!! And suspect that the blackvue cameras that I've had fitted could be the culprit!! They were installed by a reputable fitter and have two feeds taken from the fuse box!!
They also diagnosed that the LCM was faulty and replaced that to no avail!! At a cost of £300!!
Think I'll now just live with it and ask them to replace my LCM and get some money back Big Cry 2014 vogue se

Post #374490 27th Feb 2016 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1