Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 
lower arms and track control arms

for those that know, how critical are the torque settings for the tightening of the nuts/bolts on the lower arms/ball joints and the track control arms/ball joints..

WM states 165nms and 80nms, if tightened more than that , would it cause any problems. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #376850 11th Mar 2016 3:11pm
lighthouse

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Normally they only lost a torque value for a nut or bolt if it is important. I would stick with whats in WM.

Post #376855 11th Mar 2016 3:28pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Torque levels are there to ensure that you don't over do the pudding and strip a thread or snap a bolt.... An over torqued bolt can appear to be fine, but it can snap without warning Shocked You want to see what happens to Nissan Partols when you over torque the wheel nuts...... there you going down the road minding your own business and then ping,ping,ping.....oh look that wheel that is rolling past looks just like mine..... D'OH!! Shocked Big Cry

Your 165 nms are 120 lbs ft, which is f tight Shocked and 80 nms is 60 lbs ft which is still a reasonable force... that's is where wheel nuts start on lighter applications.....

Personally I'd use a torque wrench just to ensure that they weren't under done... you can get one for under a score http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-DRIVE-DR-TOR...TqEtd..... handy for wheel nuts too, so keep it in the car, I do Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #376865 11th Mar 2016 3:59pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

thanks Paul...so having the nuts slightly over tightened wouldnt affect the 'arms' from doing their job properly.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #376867 11th Mar 2016 4:04pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

It shouldn't, as long as you had the vehicle's weight on the arm when it was tightened, and I would strongly advise getting a torque wrench on them asap, and if it clicks without moving... I'd be inclined just to loosen it a bit and re-tighten with the wrench. Unfortunately now a days everything is engineered to the n'th degree and there is a fine line between Very Happy and Sad .... 50 years ago everything was over engineered and you could jump on the wheel brace doing up a wheel and there was no consequences..... now a days it could end in tears Thumbs Up

If you do the job and it's all gone back together OK then use it with care...ie don't go and do the Pari Dakar, but to drive down the road should be fine..... just get them to the correct level of tightness soon Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #376872 11th Mar 2016 4:16pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

great advice as usual , thanks Wink .. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #376875 11th Mar 2016 4:21pm
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

As pointed out previously it's very important to have the weight of the vehicle on the wheels when they are finally tightened to prevent the rubber bushes from over twisting if they are tightened with the wheels hanging down as there is a lot of travel on the suspension from fully unsupported to fully loaded.
The correct procedure is in Rave.
The final tightening torque is very hard to achieve without the use of a ramp as I found out when doing mine.

Post #377010 12th Mar 2016 10:02am
miggit

United Kingdom 

I've just read Rave...... and without the use of a 4 post ramp, that could prove to be a tricky thing......However, personally when faced with a conundrum like that I would stick a good old trolley jack under the ball joint end of the arm and lift, just as the cars' weight is placed on the jack.. tighten up the bolt to said torque... yes in an ideal world the car should be sitting on all 4's weight evenly distributed before tightening, but at least with my method the suspension has weight on it so the bushes wont be too far out Thumbs Up

Failing that you could employ a couple of good old fashioned car ramps so that you've a bit more clearance Clarence, OH and the car should be in 'Normal' height Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #377021 12th Mar 2016 10:39am
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I bought some cheap railway sleepers and drove the front end up onto two of them at the front which gave me more clearance but trying to achieve the correct torque and the further 90 degree turn or whatever it was proved really difficult because unless you are really strong the torque wrench needs to be long and then you can't swing it. i just about managed it using a swivel head bar and turned it one flat at a time after reaching the required torque.

Post #377037 12th Mar 2016 11:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1