Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PaulB1976

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Heavy white Smoke on start up only

Hi all

I have the TD6 Range Rover.

All was well engine wise (However had several problems with electrics but hey, its a Range Rover).

Just had a MOT and full service and now there is heavy white smoke every time I start up ! Doesn't last long and it drives ok?

Any ideas ?
Should I be worried ?
Mad

Post #376188 7th Mar 2016 5:51pm
kjetilv

Norway 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I´ve read that BMW have a problem with the EGR-cooler that can give this sort of exhaust, have this problem on my TD6 and plan to blank the EGR or mount a new EGR-cooler. Best regards
Kjetil Vælidalo

Post #376192 7th Mar 2016 6:00pm
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Overfuelling on start up, may have something to do with the EGR>
How quickly does it clear?
Does it start easy?
Have sniff of the white stuff, if it is acrid that will be fuel, if not could be coolant - check the level!

Post #376195 7th Mar 2016 6:08pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle is it a bit reluctant to start? might be a glow plug or 3, or even the glow plug relay...... malfunctioning glow plugs will cause shed loads of smoke on startup of a cold engine at this time of year... but it will clear in a minute or two Thumbs Up

And that is assuming that the little yellow spring illuminates on the dash and that you wait for it to go out Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #376196 7th Mar 2016 6:10pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I am pretty new to Diesels and their problems but I thought this was a classic symptom of injectors leaking fuel into the cylinder, " Leak Down" . As part of your Full Service did the PCB filter get changed? If not get a vortex one and fit it, easy and fit and forget.
From Dr Google..
WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)

When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #376268 8th Mar 2016 8:27am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Shocked Bloody Hell, there is a major case of Roverphobia going on here Shocked Shocked

A Diesel Will smoke excessively when started from cold and no glow plug is used to heat the fuel entering the combustion chamber during warm up. When the engine has got going and raised its' internal temperature the glow plugs no longer become necessary and they turn off. Once the engine has been run up to normal working temp, it should (ambient temp permitting) maintain enough residual heat in the block as to not need any glow plug to start for the rest of the day.

Glow plugs are not ever lasting, they will wear out, they are replaceable like spark plugs (and look very similar), they are a standard service item and should be changed accordingly, but are very often overlooked....

Look at the basic things first chaps, I know that it's a very complicated bit of kit, but that doesn't mean that the basic simple things don't go wrong.......

It is very easy to test, run the engine to hot and turn it off, have a cup of tea, read the paper, then go and start the car again after 30 minutes or so.... if there is no smoke then it's the glow plugs or timer (relay). Basically it should start and not smoke provided that the temp gauge moves out of the blue before you turn the key... If it still smokes then look at heads, rings, valves, too much oil, blocked breathers, etc.

FYI if glow plugs lasted and were not meant to be changed then why can you buy for £4.00? that is not the price of something that is changed rarely..... Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #376270 8th Mar 2016 9:08am
lighthouse

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

A lot of newer diesel use the glow plugs all the time to improve the emissions, hence why they are more critical on the newer ones.

Post #376277 8th Mar 2016 9:54am
PaulB1976

Thanks guys for all your input.

As I said, The range is driving sound, not sluggish, no problems with gear change.

There does not seem to be any smell of diesel to the smoke.

This morning, started the car, Heavy white smoke from start up (6.30am), lasts around 3 minutes max
Drove 1 hour to work
based on Miggits suggestion, ive had 6 cups of coffee (no paper to read so perused your lots insight instead), just started the car again (9.30am). No Smoke.

So, it is just when its been left overnight or allowed to get cold. Therefore I am going with the theory of glow plug replacement.

If this should be done on the service, I will book it back in and get them changed.
How many is on the vehicle ?

Once again.........Thanks all for taking time to post.

P.S. You can't help being paranoid with a Range Rover, But I guess its why we love them !!!!

Post #376286 8th Mar 2016 10:55am
PaulB1976

Oh sorry, and it starts up, first time, every time with no effort

Post #376292 8th Mar 2016 11:13am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle I'd be looking at those pesky glow plugs Wink The fact that it starts ok would suggest that the timer / relay are functioning but that's more than can be said for all the glow plugs..... as they are a bit of a mission to get at, I would urge you to change the lot..... but if you only want to do the knackered one's it is possible to test them with a length of wire and a car battery..... attach the wire to the top of the glow plug and to one terminal and touch the other terminal with the body of the glow plug, and the end should light up and glow red hot.... and we are talking Big Cry hot so don't get too near the tip of you could end up branded for life Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #376421 8th Mar 2016 8:43pm
PaulB1976

Hi all

Just wanted to give you an update on this.

In the end it was not the Injectors or glow plugs, It turned out to be the Crank case breather filter.

It was not changed during the service and got blocked, this created pressure in the crank and could of ended up either blowing out the dipstick and covering the engine in oil or blowing the crank seal.

However, It has been changed and now.....No smoke, and no longer sluggish, MPG has increased slightly also.

Hope this helps anyone else with similar issues in the future

Happy Travels

Post #378689 21st Mar 2016 4:37pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thanks for the info Paul Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #378690 21st Mar 2016 4:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1