Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Why are private sales such a hassle?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gregr

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Why are private sales such a hassle?!

Having put a deposit on my ideal L322 I put my P38 up for sale. Not for very much money as you might expect.

Already I've had people saying "I'll take it" without viewing ... so I cancel other viewings. Then I get a message telling me, "I've looked closer at the photos and seen a slight sag in the headlining and that's a deal breaker.." Aargh! If you want to buy conditional upon a viewing - SAY SO! I was so tempted to say, sorry you've bought it already - but I'm just too nice. I know if I had committed in this way, I'd take it on the chin.

Anyway, apologies for the rant. I now see why people just go to We Buy Any Car.

Post #379163 24th Mar 2016 10:48am
boatsandy1966

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Adriatic Blue

we buy any car have you seen what they would give you possibly more by scrapping in most cases ! 1937 model y hot rod 1000bhp rover75 v8 vincert blackshadow plus several boats and other toyz ! ford f150 raptor Mercedes e class convertible jaguar f pace

Post #379164 24th Mar 2016 10:50am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Gregr, could you PM me over the for sale details please... Thumbs Up

Post #379169 24th Mar 2016 11:01am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The best way I have found is to put it on eBay as a classified add, or better, put it on Autotrader....

I always tell everyone who phone that the first person to turn up with the money gets the car, I won't hold it, I do say that if they are coming a long way that they text me when they get on the train/leave in a car, and I won't sell it till they have seen it.

90% of the cars I have sold recently have been from adverts on Autotrader, clean the car to within an inch of it's life and ask a decent price for it and people think they are getting a good car, offer it cheap just to get rid mostly backfires as people think something is wrong with it.....

And never say "air con needs regassing" no it doesn't, if it did you would have done it.... be honest and say it leaks....!!!

Just my 2p... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #379172 24th Mar 2016 11:10am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I think in a lot of cases, the seller thinks his car is worth more than it really is. The buyer thinks he'll get it for 50% less than the asking price. The rest is up to negotiation. Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #379178 24th Mar 2016 11:44am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

there is also a problem thesedays, with old cars. you have normally bought a new car, and the insurance is transferred. so your old car, (for sale,) is now uninsured. so, on a test drive, you could get a fine, and 6 points. via a camera, or squad car. (and no VED tax!) some insurance companies if asked will allow the old car to be insured for a short period, ie 2 weeks, but confirm this. then get it on free sites, and ebay, and be prepared to take a hit on the price. sometimes, its best to not transfer the insurance over, till its sold and paid for..
one tactic the buyer uses, is to knock the price down, before seeing it, and then make another offer at the meet and point of sale etc. some even communicate by texts first! best to give the guy a time slot, to view, and get on with the next guys slot. especially when the first guy is looking. (it always looks like a setup, when a potential caller rings, whilst a punter is vieiwing). if you have accesories, like roof bars, spare wheels, dont give those away, unless you get almost full price etc.
Answer as many questions, before he comes. offer the 'logbook document ref number', so he can check the MOT history, and milage etc. write him out a receipt, for the car, and price paid, and the phrase 'sold as een/viewed/tested' somewhere on it, and have him sign it, take a picture of this. and maybe take a picture of the new owner, while he's 'not looking' (just in case) and only give the buyer the right hand part of the v5c. send off the left half v5c the same day.
always have someone in the car, whilst he has possesion of the keys too. dont get out the car first.. him giving you his keys are no good to you, they might be junk keys.
just things to be aware of.

when you're done, put the kettle on...then quickly spend all the money, before the missus gives you a 'household invoice,' for kids shoes, curtains, decorator, boob job, spa break etc. Big Cry

Post #379186 24th Mar 2016 12:06pm
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Sound advice johnboyairey
Thanks

Post #379189 24th Mar 2016 12:47pm
Gregr

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Good advice above.

I think I live under the misapprehension that people that buy cars will treat me as I treat sellers. I don't commit to buy until viewed or buy conditional upon a pre-purchase inspection.

I think there's also a little bit of me that's protective of the old P38 ...

Post #379194 24th Mar 2016 1:03pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i've had my SC for nearly 3 years now and have an itch to upgrade to a 2011/12 ...the easiest solution would be to PX mine against the new one , but the dealers are offering me less than what i want for it so an option is to it sell privately...
and there comes the problem,
you get, silly questions, tyre kickers, and ''can i take it for a test drive but i have no insurance '' people.

one day i will wake up and find that a fairy took away mine and left a big wad of cash in its place....or am i hoping for to much.. Laughing ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #379197 24th Mar 2016 1:16pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i sold both my old p38's private, both quite easily, with clean sharp pictures, on sunny days, to show off the shine etc. couple with a test drive, with roaring 1st gear pull away/kickdown...., bouncing over large speed humps, loud music test, suspension raise lower etc. if you havent driven one, they are a great car to test drive.. only had one non buyer, said the (v8 ) engine was leaking oil. (hardly a leak for a land rover,) is was more 'greasy' than oil leaking. this was the front of sump! (rover v8 1960's design) but i was glad she didnt buy it, as i dont think she would have gottten on with it.
both my buyers had beards, and were large guys.
on second one, i had someone i know drive it, and he said the steering was a bit loose, and i tightened up the steering box a tad, and it was much better. should have done it whilst i had it!
i thought i would miss the old p38, but they were soon forgotten, all forgiven. -love the L322!

Post #379201 24th Mar 2016 1:18pm
acrr1

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

Good advice from johnboyairey particularly on sending off the V5C yourself post sale. Not informing the DVLA yourself means you risk not getting a refund of tax. A good idea if you're offering a test drive is to take the drivers's name/address first and a note of the time. I had a guy who managed to get a speeding ticket whilst on a test drive - if I hadn't have noted the time I would have had additional hassle of having to prove it wasn't me driving

Post #379218 24th Mar 2016 2:16pm
Haylands

johnboyairey wrote:
so your old car, (for sale,) is now uninsured.

You can't do this any more, if the car isn't SORN'ed then it has to be insured, all the major players will insure them on a week to week basis... Automatic fine if their computer notices it....

Also I NEVER let anyone test drive cars I sell, I'll drive them, had a gentleman from Bradford test drive one years ago, he got back to our house and drove into the neighbours car, got out, jumped in his mates car and was gone...

I did ask him if he was insured and he said yes, I didn't ask for proof so if I had reported it and they found him (via mates VRM) and he didn't have insurance then I would have been done for permitting someone to drive my vehicle with no insurance so I ended up swallowing the lot, luckily it wasn't much...

Never lost a sale because they couldn't drive it though.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #379220 24th Mar 2016 2:49pm
Haylands

acrr1 wrote:
Good advice from johnboyairey particularly on sending off the V5C yourself post sale.

This is now a legal requirement, it is the sellers responsibility to inform DVLA, if you don't, another automatic fine...

All the buyer gets is the small green piece from the right hand side...

DVLA will then send you a tax refund and a letter stating your responsibility for the vehicle ended on this date.... Keep the letter, they have a habit of forgetting.... Pete

Post #379221 24th Mar 2016 2:54pm
belldarr

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

To the OP - I recently sold a friends P38 as he too despaired of joe public wasting his time, I seem to be able to filter out the time wasters and dreamers and managed to sell it for good money as it was a clean example and low mileage (46k) and as someone has said give it a good clean, nice sunny day and preferably take pics on a driveway (photo's at the local ind estate always put me off) and know what you will take for it and dont be afraid to stick to your price, Good P38's are very few and far between these days but the rarity of the good ones is keeping the price up.

Good luck

Darren

Post #379227 24th Mar 2016 4:01pm
boatsandy1966

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Adriatic Blue

the guy I got my hotrod from let a guy test drive it smashed it ran away ! cost the ex owner 12k to put right bonus to me a bargain ! 1937 model y hot rod 1000bhp rover75 v8 vincert blackshadow plus several boats and other toyz ! ford f150 raptor Mercedes e class convertible jaguar f pace

Post #379229 24th Mar 2016 4:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>