Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > PCV valve l322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fullfatbob

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
PCV valve l322

Wanted to share some of the bits and bobs from my experience changing the PCV valve on the back of the 4.4 V8!

Parts: the Valve itself LKR000040:

Harwoods dealear £120 inc vat

BMW £66.. inc vat lifesaver in the end as broke my original febi part! part number 11.61.7.508.541

Febi 45194 £42 inc vat ...

Also the little cyclonic oil seperator...looks like a mini trumpet! do not bother cleaning the old one Febi part (ADLADJ136113) £8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasket for the PCV valve...again peanuts...Elring 260.266 ebay link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191294046179?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

£5.28 inc postage!!!!! BMW part.

Ok....tips:

If you have as I do Lpg, you will have a bit of a fit to burrow down to the back of the engine! but a few well placed bungey cords pulled the majority of the spaghetti out of the way!

Firstly...if you go for those nice looking silicone...last forever breather pipes on ebay: £29.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151739688684?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

they are really great quality...BUT...to attach to the cyclonic oil separator the additional thickness..will make it a bit of a squeeze to get on with jubillee clips as well!!! so beware.

The small pipe that joins under the oil seperator...the 3 inch one is well...an absolute pig to replace...but considering what was left of mine on a 2002...it was a mess of wizard hair and blackened bits of pipe totally wasted away!! (This is the part that took the most time and patience...so take your time and put some plasters on under the gloves to save hands!

Now...top breather done and the little short pipe!......if as shown on the landyforum:

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/how...nt.214983/

I had the same problem with the small outlet pipe on the pcv...it had just broken off and the long wiggly pipe was toast!!! Now this is where I made a classic cock up...bought original land rover part..as cheap even by dealer standards...BUT

I just could not get the old one out...so thought a simple re route along the bottom of the pcv...would do the trick....BUT in wiggling and stretching it onto the pipe..SNAP went the little pipe off the pcv valve!!!!!!!! so went back to get a new febi part and guess what none in the country for another two weeks!! hence the BMW dealer lifesaver comment.

So ended up with a length of standard pipe 5mm internal by the way and so cheap..and then added some heat resist tape just in case and eureka done!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly...the T30 torx bolts...that came out looked one job away from rounding out...so change for a socket style bolt to save a later issue....

Rev counter now in the 600rpm range and one happy Monty!

Sorry no pics...but as a guide RSW solutions video and landy video above brilliant...just take your time.

Lastly...I found this video interesting for possible regular pcv maintenance...

whereby you pop off the diaphram at the back and replace...which would be such a godsend once you have done all the pipes...however my BMW part did not seem to offer a clip off cover! anyway food for thought

Best of luck!
Thumbs Up

Post #387654 18th May 2016 10:42am
pietertje

Netherlands 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Excellent write up! Thumbs Up
Just did all this!

My engine was running fine but just wanted to check this...

This is what I encountered:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also my oil return lines were both brickle. Breather pipes were ok (probably the only ones ever replaced) but ordered the silicone ones anyway... 2002 L322 V8

Post #387689 18th May 2016 3:07pm
fullfatbob

Thanks!

I only came across this essential repair by chance...the pcv that came out was date stamped 2002!! so has never been changed...so the engine has been struggling and running low rpm for a long time...hopefully caught the problem in good time..

I am guessing the valley pan gaskets now need replacing too...but will let the garage tackle that one...as not that confident yet!

The question is now whether to fit a K&N air filter, to give the car a air filter boost?

All the best!!

Post #387811 19th May 2016 10:39am
pietertje

So was mine! Actualiteit stamped 2001! So never changed either, despite the engine was running fine, but leaking oil.
So I did change the rocker cover gaskets... And still need to do the valley pan covers. Think it is a really straight forward job, hardest part may be the fuel line injectors. But there are Some great video's on YouTube how to do so..

I am also in doubt of the k&n filter....still not sure. 2002 L322 V8

Post #387820 19th May 2016 11:18am
fullfatbob

Yes the valley pan...I have also watched the video's, it is the lpg rails etc that add to the problem..especially if the wires are brittle with the heat!

At the moment I am now waiting to see if replacing this part solves the small coolant leak at the rear of the engine..before doing the valley pans.

After getting my arms and hands covered in scratches changing the pcv..I think the next task is to fix the pixels after buying this DIY kit on ebay.. at only £18!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262374061167?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Post #387878 19th May 2016 4:10pm
pietertje

Haha we have exactly the same car! Need to do the pixel repair as Well.. Cheap fix for only 18 pounds. But I believe it was a hell of a jobs which required a lot of patience... But Well worth the effort of corurse.

What part is that you changed? 2002 L322 V8

Post #387879 19th May 2016 4:34pm
fullfatbob

Hi Pietertje,

The part fitted was part number JHC000081,

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/1232...or_4_4l_v8

It sits just below and behind the pcv valve ....again a tricky fit, especially getting old fitting off!

Good source of info came from here...

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/mkii...olant-leak

As for the pixel repair, it seems dash strip down seems pretty easy..this is akspeedo video

The part then arrives with a password to then get step by step speedo strip down to get to lcd strip...all very clear and again seemingly straight forward.

The best part is you can sit comfortably with a nice coffee and some biscuits as you work on the lcd replacement...a lot nicer that having my arms shredded with the pcv change! Big Cry

By the way mine is a 2002 Vogue in Bonatti Grey with Sand interior! my all time favourite..

Have a great weekend Very Happy

Bob

Post #387997 20th May 2016 10:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1