Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Shortest route on SatNav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey
Shortest route on SatNav

Ok, I know some people have slated the SatNav on the L405 and I couldn't understand why until today. I wanted to go from Lancaster to a village called Whitewell (Bowland area) and the SatNav gave me 3 routes, the shortest being 43 miles (1hr 5mins), longest 48miles (alternate). Took shortest route which used M6 for just under half the distance then 23 miles on A & B roads, and indeed, took just over an hour. My aunt who was with me said the last time she came to Whitewell it took around 30mins (just thought she had remembered incorrectly). When I got back I did shortest route on the AA AtoB classic planner and it was 17.5 miles!!! - namely a few A roads and the rest being B roads . Checked my SatNav (as on my L322 one you could say , always motorway, then A roads etc) and could not find options relating to A and B roads, only motorway/tolls/tunnels etc. Disabled motorway and it then went up to 48 miles shortest, 55miles alternative, but went no where near the real shortest route. The only way I could get it to use the real shortest route was to send it via a village en route to the destination (Quernmore) to force it to go down the B roads, which is great if you know somewhere, but most of the time, you use the SatNav as you don't know how to get to your destination in the first place. Anyone else has this (I have seen a thread with the 'always wants to go via Manchester' syndrome on here) , is there an option I have overlooked to give the absolute shortest route from A to B no matter what the road category is? Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #389464 31st May 2016 1:27am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Yet another example that JLR is completely useless at Navigation systems !!! Have you tried Google Maps / Waze for the route ?? I looked at Google maps and it said 17.7 miles and 41 minutes on what looks like the shortest route. Starting point is town center of Lancaster and end point is center of Whitewell Smile. And it goes through a "green" area so I assume better views as well Smile

That is why I use my FFRR nav and Google Maps side by side if I have data !!! Actually I plan trips ahead of time with Google Maps to find the best route, see what traffic is like etc. !!! And it can be done in comfort on the desk/laptop !!! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #389469 31st May 2016 2:36am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Maybe it's a JLR feature so that you can spend more time in your well appointed FFRR.... Very Happy Very Happy

No doubt I will have my own complaints about the satnav when my Westminster arrives Whistle 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #389477 31st May 2016 9:24am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine is similar - I think - it doesn't seem to like B roads if there is in any way an A road option

Why they can't just licence TomTom or Garmin just seems crazy Confused

Post #389479 31st May 2016 9:39am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

my tomtom does the same if you select shortest, it takes you down country tracks barely wide enough to get a car through.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #389481 31st May 2016 9:53am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

I remember a friend in his DB9 leading a convoy of Astons down a quarry track in France because that was where his sat nav sent us.
Recently in Paris going from the 16th to the E4 we took the road that runs along the river, the sat nav just wanted us to go the shortest route to the periferique and then all the way around. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #389505 31st May 2016 1:33pm
RRVSE

Thanks for the response guys. It was annoying yesterday as a 35 mile round trip ended up as an 86 mile one which also equates to around 3 gallons of fuel used when it should have been just over 1. A lot of the roads I went down were B roads (I had to go onto the grass verge twice to get past other cars) and most in poor condition. I'm told the shortest route has one place where it is almost single track for around 200-300ft , but that's why they have passing points anyway. Ah well, in future, I'll do a quick compare with my road map and find a 'via' point of the SatNav tries to take me the long way round. I'm also going to do the 17.5 mile route at some stage just to see why it was avoided. Steve

Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #389530 31st May 2016 4:52pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Exactly the same thing yesterday in my L322. Fortunately, I had research the route on google maps. After I made a few I signalled turns, it finally rerouted to the optimum route. Crying or Very sad

Post #390337 6th Jun 2016 12:17am
RRVSE

Yes, at least on my L322 I could turn off the option that always tried to keep me on the original route if I deviated, but on the L405 , that option also appears to have gone. It seems a step backwards to me, as I said on another thread, even the TMC doesn't tell me about the traffic (via the red/yellow/green cars it has at the top of the screen) unless I enter a postcode. Hence, when I'm going to work (amazingly I know where that is) the sat nav just leaves the icon green even when I'm stood in traffic, but if I then enter my work post code and let it guide me to work, it immediately changes the icon red. I see no logic in it. The only good thing is that I can upload the speed cameras etc which my old one never did so it has 1 plus point. Sad Steve

Post #390468 6th Jun 2016 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1