Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Fault Code P040D update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Fault Code P040D update

Following on form this thread http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic38652.html (which has other links within it) I have had confirmation from LR CRC that this is a "false flagging DTC or Ghost Code" which is not of any concern. It will have no effect on functionality and and "if the concern was to affect emissions it would place an EML light on the instrument cluster."

This is pure speculation on my part:-

1. We are not experiencing over-fuelling i.e. the car does not smell of diesel at cold start-up or at all and economy is superb

2. The code is followed by a warning about temperature and not unknown fault as others have had as description after the code

so am I correct in speculating that this code, somehow, has different meanings and consequences?

By the way, I intend having the sensor replaced regardless but it is obvious that I won't be able to convince LR to do it under warranty.

Post #397898 27th Jul 2016 10:50am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a quick google of that code comes up with,

''Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature Sensor''

but what it means doesnt seem to be decided....seems ford have this problem as well.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #397899 27th Jul 2016 10:55am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Re: Fault Code P040D update

Giantlandyman wrote:
so am I correct in speculating that this code, somehow, has different meanings and consequences?

As I remember it, the full code is P0040D (XX) where "XX" seems to define the exact location, which would indicate refinements in meaning.

I know that in Buz1500's case the code was (2F), which may be the same as you have. Other results have been reported. As you will have seen from his thread, his independent advised that there was no immediate problem but replacing the sensor when he returned home would be a sensible approach. Seems to bear out your own conclusions.

HTH John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #397906 27th Jul 2016 11:14am
Giantlandyman

The full code was/is:-

P040D (2F) Exhaust Gas recirculation temperature sensor A - circuit high

which relates to the sensor on the passenger side manifold.

Craig at Cam-Tech (rightly) advised that the sensor should be replaced and that his (and others) had been done at main dealers. Now, JLR and main dealers are saying it cannot lead to over-fuelling (which I don't have) and that it can be ignored.

However, others (I forget who on the forum) have had the same code but with unknown fault (if I am remembering correctly) after the code number and ultimately, LR won't replace so I need to have it done, if only for prudence sake....about £40 for the sensor and 3-4 hours labour.

Post #397913 27th Jul 2016 11:39am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I replaced mine's EGR temp sensor because of the fault code. On dismantling the front section of the EGR pipe that fits inside the inlet manifold to check on soot build-up I noted the copious amounts of soot lining the EGR pipe and the inlet manifold. I don't know if the reportedly failed temp sensor had anything to do with the huge volume of carbon but with less than 40K kms on the vehicle and 22K of those in the preceding 10 months and mostly open-road cruising, I'm rather dumb-founded at the extent of the build-up.

Post #397921 27th Jul 2016 12:59pm
Giantlandyman

^ That doesn't good at all.

Did you own it from new and is there a chance the previous owner did short trips and used cheap fuel?

Post #397963 27th Jul 2016 7:03pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The original owner only did 18K kms in 3 years so barely used. However most of my driving is in top gear at around 1200/1400 rpm so also a likely cause but I wondered if the reportedly faulty EGR temp sensor triggered the EGR cooler to over-cool he exhaust gases causing he excessive deposits. I'm now waiting for the final touches to an EGR emulator to be done that will stop all EGR.

Post #397977 27th Jul 2016 9:45pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

I have had my Westminster for two weeks and when I put my IID on it flagged up the code P004D-(2F). So booked it in and a new sensor fitted under LRA warranty. Just got home and guess what, it's back.

Taking it back next week but dealer says it's fine as there is no Engine Management Light associated with it and it drives well with normal fuel consumption and no smoke on start up, under hard acceleration or after idling, so off to Wales tomorrow for a 1000 mile trip, that should check it out. Seems this is a known fault on the TDV8 (Ford) with no guaranteed fix.

We shall see.

Post #409958 20th Oct 2016 2:38pm
Giantlandyman

I was given some more information about this fault only the other day.

It seems that that sensor is manufactured with set parameters which are too tight/ are easily exceeded. The independent I was speaking to has seen this code on most 4.4 TDV8s (as an Indy and a recent LR Tech) and it can be ignored as far as he is concerned.

I am amazed that your dealer replaced it under warranty as LR Technical are adamant that it cannot cause over-fuelling and told me it wouldn't be replaced under warranty.

As long as there isn't smoking, smell of diesel on start up or poor consumption, they wouldn't replace it. I think Craig is onto something; it depends on if and how the sensor fails or if it simply logs a high temperature.

I was going to have it replaced regardless but I was talked into not doing the work because there was a high likelihood the fault code would reappear with the replacement sensor.

Post #409984 20th Oct 2016 5:42pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

I don't know the ins-and-outs of why they decided to change it under warranty but may find out next week. All I know is that it was present when I checked the fault codes after buying it so maybe they are just being "nice" to me - won't last long I bet.

But the car is running very well !!!!!

Post #409985 20th Oct 2016 5:53pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

"But the car is running very well."

It was, but coming home from Wales the EML came on, car continued to drive well with normal fuel consumption and no loss of power and it got me home. Supplying dealer is picking it up tomorrow for investigation but looks like an EGR issue.

Under the LR Approved purchase rules you get a full refund if not entirely happy after 30 days, so we will see what happens.

Post #410578 24th Oct 2016 9:40pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sorry to hear that phil, hope it gets sorted ... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #410579 24th Oct 2016 9:48pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

Full Fat loaded onto a low loader and gone back to MD. Now driving a Disco Sport HSE with the new engine. It doesn't really feel like a LR but goes well, jury is out but I don't think I would buy one and it definitely isn't as good as my Freelander 2.

Post #410659 25th Oct 2016 5:21pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

Car returned this PM with new EGR bypass valve fitted. So far so good, running like clockwork, fingers crossed.

Post #411724 1st Nov 2016 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1