Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Upgrading/Fixing 2006 Range Rover Electronics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cliff5.0sc

Upgrading/Fixing 2006 Range Rover Electronics

Everyone, I just upgraded one of our L322's electronics, the 2006. While it is an "upgrade" their was water damage done to some of the MOST components and I didn't want to keep the system going (which I have been keeping alive for 4 or so years with various bypasses and troubleshooting) so this is a complete break from the MOST entertainment system which in my opinion wasn't worth fixing or upgrading.

This is the second time I have upgraded Range Rover electronics, with the P38a done about 12 years ago I tried to keep the stock AMPs which worked but created a slight hiss that needed a resistor to fix. This time we completely gutted the original system in favor of new AMPs, new Head Unit and new Crossovers.

I didn't do all the work had some help from a friend on the Head Unit install but came up with the heuristics of gutting head unit, running component cords back through A/B amp and then through crossovers to the speakers. I also installed the AMP and Crossovers cutting into the stock wiring and installing new Infiniti "reference" woofers in the front doors.

A few things hit me about the install:

1) I would run another set of speaker wires to the front doors and use a 3 way splitter bypassing the in-door tweeter/super tweeter that was run stock with two cables. If you don't plan on replacing the in-door splitter you want to use 2-way crossovers for the fronts. On the DSP system I believe the center is fed the combined mid signal from the front doors.

2) In the rear I ran 3-ways with the far rear speakers being fed the "mid signal".

3) The speed sensors (I believe) uses twisted pair speaker wire. I cut these at first thinking they were speakers. Do not cut the wires coming out of the rear wheel arch.

4) I could not find reliable wiring information though the pairs are twisted and obvious. I used a 9-volt battery across the pairs and noted the woofer location and direction. Positive outward movement indicates the positive lead is on the positive terminal. I will try to add a wiring diagram the best I have found.

5) the wiring at rear left amp output is not always the same as the wiring in the door card.

6) my two rear door woofers are blown or I can't find the cables for them. I'll get another pair of Infiniti reference for the rear. I don't really care from an SQ perspective as of now.

If anyone has any questions please ask, I have also provided two part write up here:

1) Android Head Unit Install: http://offroadrover.com/audio/upgrading-range-rover-stereo/

I really like the android head unit. We used it for approximately 48 hours navigating from Denver to New York and Washington DC. The onboard navigation is offline, but has an online connective feature for traffic detours. I found it to be accurate and useful heading to the dewey beach we avoided a back up at a new jersey turnpike exit. That's approximately 3500 mile round trip or about the distance to the moon.

2) Amp and Crossovers: http://offroadrover.com/audio/range-rover-stereo-upgrade-part-2/

Overall the install came out nicely with one person commenting "I thought you put in an aftermarket system". The navigation locks up fast, the sound is good through the seperate A/B amplifier and crossovers. I would describe the sound as more energetic and tightly controlled. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #398106 28th Jul 2016 6:51pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Now don't get me wrong, I don't know because I haven't got one but doesn't the later touch screen have a lot of info and control of things like the off road settings for the FF and other things that are run from the head unit, doesn't this cause problems..??

Also the dedicated Android units for the FF look even more integrated and work the same as your unit.. Thumbs Up

It's difficult to get additional wires into the doors as the door wiring is done via plugs so you can't pull additional wires through...

Do have to agree that the Android units are a great improvement... :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #398140 28th Jul 2016 8:55pm
cliff5.0sc

The one pictured doesn't have 2gb of ram. The double din I used does. Whistle

Interesting re wiring. I guess you saved me from a project in the future. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #398143 28th Jul 2016 9:05pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

That doesn't really answer Pete's question. Also you don't mention the navigation facility in your write up. Is that still there? John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #398144 28th Jul 2016 9:08pm
cliff5.0sc

I can't answer for every year but the 2006 but I would imagine the 2005 and 2007 would be the same. I don't know how the IPC and MOST LOOP interact on the 2010.

I lost the factory radio, dvd navigation, offroad screen, clock settings (though u can reset by cutting power to midnight), ipc clock setting (though i imagine it could be programmed thru gap diagnostics???). I can still enter low range and engage hdc. As noted in the op the system was down due to multiple most component failure. I believe terrain response on the later models has nothing to do with MOST loop. I do not believe any offroad settings are selected through the head unit.

I gained SD based navigation (as noted in the first post), online based navigation (waze), android apps (gasbuddy, best parking, pandora), gained bluetooth audio streaming, bluetooth phone, sd videos, rear screen output etc. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #398146 28th Jul 2016 9:15pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Nope, your right, it has 1gb ram and a 1.6 quad core processor, works very fast, no delay in anything but not as good as 2gb..

It uses IGO8 off line satnav which I can recommend....

Glad to hear the 4x4 works OK with it, if I buy a later one that's good to know, cheers... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #398166 29th Jul 2016 12:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1