Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > engine cleaning tips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

No bother, the solenoid job is easy but need a special socket, i have one in the timing kit and one i made out of a box spanner. if you do these you may as well do the vanos non return valves at the same time for which you will need an m10 fine pitch bolt, can help to reduce start up rattle, it is quite small can though

Post #417493 11th Dec 2016 12:41pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Going against the wisdom of the forum, my engine gets jet washed at least once a month, I use neat TFR then a good 20 minute jet wash at everything after removing the engine cover, been doing it now for 2 1/2 years and no adverse effects at all, engine always starts first go, no misfires, no other errors, I jetwash it for that long as it is very important to get every last drop of whatever you use to clean it off and out of the engine bay, leaving any cleaner or chemical sitting in nooks and crannies, electrical plugs and areas is a recipe for disaster in the future, clean plain water won't harm anything under the bonnet, leaving traces of cleaner will...

I always use an airline to blow off any sitting water and take the FF for a good drive afterwards to ensure it is properly dry. All the electrical connectors are regularly treated with CorrosionX. I have opened several straight after jetwashing and found them all to be bone dry so JLR did something right...

I'm not advocating this for a road going FF but the fact that it can withstand such abuse (and let's be frank, that's what mine gets) for so long without any ill effects bodes good for gentle cleaning and the odd jetwash if it really needs it... Please make sure you wash ALL the cleaner off though, it's the killer, not the water.... Thumbs Up

Oh, and FYI the 5HP24 gearbox on the 4.4 V8 has a breather that comes up behind the engine, near the white coloured breather pipe that comes from the sealed starter motor.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #417507 11th Dec 2016 2:36pm
alistairh

Its always amazed me seeing the fattys up to their vents wadding..makes sense washing it down after the cars been for a swim and a true testimony of how well its designed....that's mine a lot cleaner and its taken the bulk of my weekend and a combo of elbow grease and a tin of gunk and wd40...

no time for the pcv replacement this weekend but engines spotless and I've solved my battery drain...new led sidelights, pcv system next weekend....really enjoying the satisfaction of doing it myself.....again huge thanks to everybody who's gave me pointers and advise Thumbs Up

Post #417529 11th Dec 2016 7:26pm
holidaychicken

Haylands wrote:
Going against the wisdom of the forum, my engine gets jet washed at least once a month,

Oh, and FYI the 5HP24 gearbox on the 4.4 V8 has a breather that comes up behind the engine, near the white coloured breather pipe that comes from the sealed starter motor.... Thumbs Up

i think your FF is slightly better prepared than most to say the least Pete!

i think if it is something you have done regularly and understand the potential risks then it's fine but over the years i would imagine seals get left off or wiring put back differently leaving it more exposed.

i only steer people away from it as taking it down the jet wash, blasting out the engine bay for 10 minutes and then driving it away could have some potentially expensive outcomes.

couple of breather pics attached from when we popped my transmission out

Post #417531 11th Dec 2016 8:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123