Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Looking for some advice on buying a S/C Rangie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
quavey

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Looking for some advice on buying a S/C Rangie

Right then chaps, first topic here. I have often browsed this forum as a guest whilst wondering about the L322 world. Quite frankly its scared me for a few years just because of how much can go wrong... and knowing several owners that have had, lets say "reasonable" issues with them. However most of the time it was earlier 02-05 examples and no cars perfect... Smile

I have a late P38 Vogue at the moment and a BMW 650i and I would like to drop to just having one car, I have been looking at boring humdrum oil burning saloons (530d's etc). Having had a chat with my OH over the weekend she told me that when the rangie goes so will miss that more than the 650i. We have a little boy who is now almost 18 months so he has totally out grown the 650i so it just doesn't get used. She made the point that we use the rangie for days out as its just such a useful vehicle (as all of them are) and me having a normal saloon isn't that great, she has a 1 series at the moment and wants to replace that soon with something larger.

So that brings me onto L322's, I don't believe there is a finer multipurpose vehicle than the range rover (in any shape) and although I don't doubt the X5 might be more economical or even a better drive on the road I just know if I went with an X5 or something similar I would see a 530d and think that's just a better machine with the same engine, or I'd see an L322 and turn green with jealousy and know thats what I should have had.

So an L322? Of course being sensible any normal person would look at the oil burners, TDV8 in either guise look hugely impressive on paper but I just fear the potential repair bills. Now my biggest problem as I also have a company pickup truck which I do 35-40k a year in I have little interest for driving at a weekend or any commute so I genuinely only do about 5k miles a year in my own vehicle (Currently split between the 650i and the Vogue). Which leads me to the S/C models, now sadly a 5.0 is beyond my reach without taking out some sort of loan which is not my bag. Especially as "my" car doesn't ever do any work or pay for its self so something costing me money each month just to sit and gather dust is not part of the deal for me. This leaves us with the 4.2 S/C.

I believe the 4.2 is similar to the Jaguar engines which on the whole seem very reliable and the 6 speed box fitted appears to be miles better than the 5 speed in either flavor in the 4.4 M62 and the 3.0 M57. Is this the case?

Could I clear a few things up, are all 4.2's Vogue SE's? (Or better?). I really would like to have the new interior from the MY07 facelift. When the ignition key moved up into the dash, did they all get the new style key then or is it the old style key until some point? Although I would rather have the new interior only as it looks better, is there any determent from having any year of 4.2 S/C?. I am aware that early ones will be cheaper tax (appealing but not a deal breaker, £200 a year extra to run the "right" example is no problem)

Whats the craic with the deploy able steps, are they electric? Worth having?

I've found a nice looking 4.2 on a 57 plate with 81k on the clock for £13,250. Not much info in the advert and its been for sale for a few months so it might be worth a look.

I went to look at a local 3.6tdv8 with 94k on the clock (local garage, I have no idea how but everything they have I like is always sold, so they wouldn't let me look in it) However I was surprised to see the amount of lacquer peal on the door handles, is this a common issue? The tailgate looked good though, however the poor thing was festooned with scratches and chips. It was advertised as being in perfect condition, are most pretty rough or is this a rare case?

So this is where I am up to, one last question I am assuming it will do around 17mpg overall. I get about 18 from the P38 (and 26 from the 650i, yes really!)

Does anyone have much to add for me?

Post #424333 22nd Jan 2017 10:05pm
Rockyd31

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

For what it's worth I bought a 4.2sc 3 months ago (so I won't comment on reliability just yet) I read before that the 4.2 was a pretty solid choice and having read the forums constantly since it seems to be confirmed although a well maintained example will go along way. I was also looking for a MY07 but my budget was just under yours so I ended up going for an 05 with better history and lower tax, which (so far) has seen me on the right side of luck.

For me, I think it comes down to preference rather than solid choice as I don't think the advantages granted the extra cost for me. If I was to do it again I'd buy a better maintained MY06 over an average MY07 every time.

As for MPG, I'm getting 11-12 around town and up to 22 on a motorway run which seems about right.

Sidesteps (deployable) I believe can only be fitted to MY07 and up which may sway you if that's what you want but for me I prefer mine without the steps as I think it looks cleaner. Again just preference.

The one you've seen for £13k seems good but I'd have to wonder why it's been for sale for so long?

I do take a lot of the horror stories with the perspective that people don't post on here (often) stating how reliable the FFRR has been. For every bad one there has to be Several good ones???

Please don't laugh if I post tomorrow saying my engine fell out lol

Hope that helps from my limited experience, and good luck. You won't look back if you get a good one Thumbs Up

Last edited by Rockyd31 on 23rd Jan 2017 12:29am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #424349 22nd Jan 2017 11:20pm
quavey

Thats the sort of thing I want to hear! Thanks for the response.

I can live with 22 on a run, I can manage about 20 from the 4 speed P38. I tend not to drive much around town if I can avoid it, our journeys are normally say 15 miles out to a nice cafe, little walk and back home again. With the odd occasional pilgrimage to Scotland for example.

The facelift interior is appealing to me mainly for future resale, the actual difference inside seems pretty limited but they are supposed to be quieter. With the MY05 changes and the touch screen navigation, did that change at all at MY07? What about the rear seat entertainment?

Do you mind if I ask what mileage yours has done and broadly what you gave for it?

The only rational behind the 57 I've seen having been for sale for so long is simply the prospect of a supercharged V8 range rover doing 17mpg and costing 500 a year to tax to most people is like going out for a meal with 20 friends and being told you are paying. (Although the oil burners are still 500 a year to tax so...) I imagine they are not that easy to sell. However I see it as a reduction in Tax from 600 to 500 and just having one machine to service and put petrol in.

I'm not that bothered about the steps just thought if they were deployable it would be pretty cool. I've not had steps on either of my P38's, but having got them on the Navara it is quite useful for messing with baby seats to be able to stand "further in" the cabin as it were.

Performance was a little bit of a worry, well not a worry but the trap of "whats the 0-60 time", 7.1 according to autotrader which is a long way behind the 650i. I'm assuming that the weight is the problem here and actually it generally feels faster than its numbers suggest? If we compare numbers on paper the Navara and my P38 are about the same, however the P38 is actually miles faster if provoked just not that fast of the line.

Post #424355 22nd Jan 2017 11:52pm
Rockyd31

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Not sure if there where any changes in the nav/rse between the 05-07 but I'm sure someone will know. Although cosmetically I'm 95% sure they're the same.

I gave £9k for mine with 103k on the clock. 2 previous owners, 1st owner was a LR tech (documented) owned until 2014. Not missed a beat and drives like new as far as I'm concerned. The plugs etc had been done and the only pressing issue is I want to get the transmission serviced to help keep it running as good as it does now.

Performance wise I think 7.1 is under egging it. Certainly feels like 6 to me and the power delivery from the supercharger is constant through the whole rev range. Maybe it's just the mass accelerating that makes it feel quicker than it is but it certainly makes me grin Very Happy

Post #424361 23rd Jan 2017 12:27am
3528cc

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Looking at your mileage 4.2C is probably the way to go, similar to me, and is what I bought, a 08 facelift paid the extra road tax for the interior Razz

I only cover @ 6k pa in mine. Regards
Royston

2008 4.2 Supercharged Autobiography
1994 Classic Vogue SE
1999 Rover BRM
1987 Rover Vitesse Twin Plenum

Post #424374 23rd Jan 2017 8:47am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I do about 4k miles and followed the same line of thought you are.

I bought my 2006 MY SC in June 2014, in the time I've had it I've put it through 3 services & MOT's, a set of tyres, a thermostat, changed all the oils (front diff, rear diff, transfer box, gearbox I've still to do though), and I'm about to do discs and pads all around.

My car has the older dashboard, I preferred the newer one but this car was in the right place at the right time and was wearing a 2012 facelift which I prefer the look of. That's down to personal preference though.

I was selling mine to upgrade to a 4.4 TDV8 then decided I couldn't go for a Diesel so start to look for a 5.0 but have decided to keep mine it as it's a great car and get a summer toy to run along side it.

What the others have said above on economy is about right, I'm getting mid teens locally and if being sensible on a long run (very sensible) 25 is achievable.

To cut a long story short, I love mine, I don't for one minute regret buying the SC. If you buy a good one then they're a great car Thumbs Up Personally, I'd rather have a perfect 2006 then a 2007 that needed work although the newer dash is very appealing. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #424397 23rd Jan 2017 11:15am
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I'm not sure that asking your question on the forum is going to help you as everyone (including me!) thinks that their car model, spec, year etc. is the best. All I can do is share with you my thoughts / reasoning as to why I have what I have and it's up to you to make your own mind up. These are just my humble, personal views so take them, leave them - It's up to you!

- TD6 - Good engine, been used in lots of BMW applications and is really well thought of. OK on fuel. A bit tractorish, noisy and slow, positive feedback from people who have remapped them. Gearbox is smooth but totally not fit for purpose. It will almost certainly go pop every 100k miles.

- 3.6 TDV8 - The engine is a ticking time bomb and there is every chance that it will go bang in a BIG way (munching its turbos) costing ££££ to put right. There seems to be nothing you can do in terms of preventative maintenance other than regular engine oil changes and letting it idle after a long trip. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. 6 speed gearbox is very good; benefits from regular ATF changes and worth having the solenoids checked / changed at the same time, cheapish parts but a pig to get to as they live inside the gearbox.

- 4.4 TDV8 - You're pushing a different price bracket now. The 4.4 is a totally different design to the 3.6 (thankfully) and other than an oil leak at the back of the engine (fairly easy fix) it looks to be holding out well. Not having an oil sump drain plug is a silly idea and may well put some owners off having proper engine oil changes in years to come. 8 speed gearbox has mixed reviews but seems reliable; some love it, some think it's too busy and is always hunting for the right gear.

- 4.2 SC - Good engine (known to have the odd oil leak here and there), goes well, sounds great, inevitably uses lots of fuel (!) and gearbox is good (see 3.6 TDV8) - Aux coolant pump may have been wired the wrong way around at production Rolling Eyes - Many have now been changed to spin the correct way but they don't seem to last and you'll start getting engine limp home mode. A new aux pump is a fairly cheap and easy fix.

- 5.0 SC - I would love one but the reports of the engine rattle linked to timing chains / guides is putting me off it big time. Maybe this issues only affects a certain VIN range though? 500 glorious BHP and it uses less fuel than the 4.2.

My 4.2SC is one of the very first, cheaper tax is not a deal breaker but a nice little bonus each year. It's got the older dated dash; the upside to this means that is still has a legacy of BMW involvement and it shows in the quality with not a hint of rust or bubbles from the tailgate or rear arches. Visually I much prefer the newer dash with the key mounted higher up but my experience of the later 07 onwards cars is that Ford had got involved and with that the quality took a hit.

The challenge for me is that my SC is getting on a bit in terms of age and miles now and I would really like to upgrade. I can't see it being a FF though so for now, it will have to soldier on!

So my view (and it is my view, plenty here will disagree with what I've said above!).......a very early, cared for SC (05/55/06) before the blue oval got too involved in it. They are also stonking value. Good luck! Thumbs Up 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #424421 23rd Jan 2017 3:06pm
quavey

Thanks chaps, all very useful information and its generally confirming what I was thinking.

25mpg doable on a run? Well that would be just amazing! I would be well happy with that - I am (on the whole) an economical driver these days. I can manage well north of 30mpg from the 650i on a run (34 was the best to hull and back) and its not crawling along at 50, doing the speed limit. I used to drive everywhere at a million miles an hour but it really doesn't make that much difference these days. Age makes you chill out, 30 last time which was why I was looking at boring diesel saloons... Really worrying to hear the 3.6 is such a nightmare, its a shame really as they appear to be good value but it does confirm my suspicions of the modern diesel. Terrifying to fix.

Anyway, 4.2 S/C it is. Just need to find a good one now, interesting to hear about the poor quality control on the coolant pumps!! And even more interesting to hear about the reduced build quality once the blue oval got fully involved! I would have thought that the later cars (being essentially the same as the earlier ones) would have been in better condition (tin worm wise) than the earlier ones just by being newer. But if there is a marked drop in quality of fit and finish in the newer ones then I'm not precious about a number plate. Even if it is old, it'll still be better than 90% of the other cars on the road!

I've also realised that the earlier ones had a mechanical hand brake, it is one less thing to go wrong than the electronic in the MY07. Admittedly it appears the terrain response system is worth having but to be honest the most offroading I've done in the Vogue is a muddy carpark/field. Mainly as its a bit to nice for it, so I just won't be taking the S/C anywhere challenging. (Conversely I did do bresthigh road, old coach road in matterdale and stile end in the first P38)

Post #424447 23rd Jan 2017 7:31pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Hope this is of use
I bought my 4.2 3 and a half years ago and do 25 to 30k a year and use it as a daily drive I am now on 140k ash and to date I have had a new gearbox under warranty - ludicrous really as it was a solenoid on the way out and could have been fixed for a few quid but no landrover replaced the lot - no cost to me and as far as I am aware a very unusual fault
I have replaced various bushes and control arms but that is due to normal wear due to my mileage
Replaced both front struts and bags due to a leak my choice to replace both
repair to FBH not essential and rare to have one on a petrol
Repair to heated drivers seat - my choice not essential
Fabulous vehicle to drive and in my opinion for its age and mileage very reliable last service compression tested all good
The only reason I haven't changed it is because it is so good.
Like you p38 ownership (still have it) makes you wary go for it you won't regret it

Post #424625 24th Jan 2017 8:12pm
quavey

Brilliant info guys thank you for all the help.

I've found a stunning early 4.2 in grey, local actually but its a bit expensive and done a few to many miles. However it has had lots of work done which is either a good thing or someone has been chasing a fault on it by changing bits. Comes with a 3 month warranty that basically covered absolutely nothing that is likely to go wrong... seems quite typical these days.

Still trying to shift the two I have at the moment, I am really surprised at the lack of interest in them, perhaps its the time of year but very annoying as I really want to get into a nicer rangie!!

I've had a couple of P38's now and I do like them, just really showing their age now with the design and tech etc. Plus I can't be the only one in thinking they are not actually that large, especially the load area. The L322 seems to have that issue solved...! 2005 E60 M5
2006 L322 4.2 SC
2020 Tesla Model S Long Range
--------
2004 L322 4.4 Vogue, 2019 NP300 Navara, 2016 NP300 Navara, 2002 L322 4.4 HSE, 2006 (MY07) L322 S/C ,2001 330Ci Sport Track Car, 2005 650i Coupe, 2001 P38 Vogue, 2003 530i Sport Touring, 1999 P38 4.6 HSE, 2002 E39 M5, 1995 300zx TT Slicktop, 1997 M3 Evo, 1992 300zx TT Targa, 1998 323i Coupe

Post #424659 24th Jan 2017 11:02pm
quavey

Few silly questions.

Do the 05 onwards have bluetooth to connect a mobile phone? I'm sure they do just want to check?

With the RSE should their be two sets of head phones and two remotes? Could anyone also confirm how it actually works, I read something about a DVD changer in the rear, is that the case even on the 05 models? I noticed there is some AV ports in the bottom of the center console for attaching other inputs.

I appreciate that a modern tablet is probably a better solution in most cases its just my little one is still very little and the tablet we have he can actually reach in the back of the 1 series (not tried in the P38 as yet) and I would much prefer to use the built in RSE (Thomas the Tank engine and Peppa (sodding) Pig Dvd's coming out of my ears!)

I've been looking at service components, brakes seem reasonable for the Brembo sized setup (I understand the TDV8 also got this setup later in life?). Air suspension components, it appears there is a few models of pump about, I found a few exchange places and rebuild kits - seems quite reasonable. However I couldnt find any Airsprings (its a an all in one unit I believe with the shock on an L322, correct?) for the S/C models. Are they a main dealer only part? Also supercharger belt and aux belt. I couldnt make out from my research is there two belts here, I'm assuming the S/C belt is just for the single job. Looks like a service item at 105k but no particular age limit. I'm assuming if it were to ever let go it wouldnt be catastrophic as the supercharger would just stop. (Just to clarify, I wouldnt consider driving without a belt, just some reassurance that its not going to destroy the engine if it were to snap?)

I'm assuming the Jag engine is a chain driven engine, do the chains have a life? What about tensioners and guides like the BMW engines?

Do they have a thirst for 97-99 Ron fuel or happy on 95? I used to run all the Jap Turbo stuff on 97+ but I've not hard a forced induction petrol engine for about 6 years now. I'm assuming that the relatively low boost provided by the S/C is not so much of an issue for Det on 95? 2005 E60 M5
2006 L322 4.2 SC
--------
2004 L322 4.4 Vogue, 2019 NP300 Navara, 2016 NP300 Navara, 2002 L322 4.4 HSE, 2006 (MY07) L322 S/C ,2001 330Ci Sport Track Car, 2005 650i Coupe, 2001 P38 Vogue, 2003 530i Sport Touring, 1999 P38 4.6 HSE, 2002 E39 M5, 1995 300zx TT Slicktop, 1997 M3 Evo, 1992 300zx TT Targa, 1998 323i Coupe

Post #424665 24th Jan 2017 11:16pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi - hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

RSE - should have a pair of wireless headphones and one remote. The screens are not independent so basically what is showing on one will be showing on the other althought you can turn them on and off indvidually so if you have another adult in the back they don't need to watch Peppa Pig (I always had to listen to Paw Patrol lol).
The changer for the RSE is a 6 disc multi changer mounted in the left handside of the boot - if you look on the left hand side panel in the boot you will see a handle and the panel will fold down - here is the multi disc for RSE, the amps for the stereo and the Sat Nav drive - well worth looking in here for any signs of water damage, a known issue is rainwater running down inside this wing and destroying all the electrics in there - an expensive issue and pain to fix if water ingress is there.

Suspension - yes they are an all in one item - strut enclosed in air bag. The air struts are made by Dunlop or Delphi - the Delphi ones are the LR parts one. On a vehicle older than 10 years it can be wise to budget for replacing these as they can fail after this time period. You don't need to buy from main dealers there are other companies such as Island 4x4 that sell them. The SC has a different front strut than the 3.6tdv8 and 4.4 petrol models - i think it has a nut at the top to adjust the damping as the only difference. I can see no reason why you couldn't put non SC struts on but you may find the handling is not as firm. Its a very easy DIY change with plenty of info on here about how to do it - you just need to have 3 or 4 weetabix before hand because most of the 5 bolts will be stuck solid.

Yes the engine is chain driven and like everything it will have a life span but someone more knowledgeable in the dept will hopefully comment on that. Obviously when changing its wise to do tensioners etc at the same time.

Another wise purchase is a IIDTool which is invaluable for diagnosing faults and resetting them as well as modifyinh your cars config settings. They come in bluetooth and non bluetooth versions and just plug into the OBD port on the car. 2008 TDV8

Post #424696 25th Jan 2017 9:18am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

^ I'm afraid you have the working of the rear entertainment a bit wrong , rather than fixed to two screens on the same output either screen can be selected to Radio , CD/ACM if fitted , Aux , TV , DVD or video in ie; playstation and the front screen can also be on any input it likes as well except video in but does not have its own headphone channel so has to play its audio over the speakers . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #424698 25th Jan 2017 9:42am
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Rear bags and shocks are separate fronts aren't at least on 2007 onwards

Post #424710 25th Jan 2017 11:59am
quavey

Superb information thanks guys, just so I know what we can do with the RSE and for servicing requirements I have an idea of the value of work that has been done, or the cost if I'm going to have to do it.

I have previously changed the airbags on a P38 and although a dirty job it wasnt that bad really.

Just need to get the P38 and the 650i sold now... never in my life have I had such little interest in vehicles, I keep checking the pricing and its fair. Both in great condition etc, just think its the time of the year sadly... I shall persist! 2005 E60 M5
2006 L322 4.2 SC
--------

Post #424722 25th Jan 2017 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>