Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Strange air suspension issue?????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Covbandit

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue
Strange air suspension issue?????

Hi all, cannot find an answer to my query anywhere. Please bear with me as it may be legthy.
Ok fitted two new air bags in august16 upon blowing up the bags the o/s/f would raise to height then immediately drop. Air could be heard leaking but not from pipes or bag, more like from an exhaust pipe from a valve. Changed union on top of bag and has been perfect until saturday. Deflated all using iid tool changed driveshaft gaiters and anti roll bar links. Came to re inflate and low and behold problem back. Only on osf. Played with it up and down and seemed to settle. Drove home and she dropped on the front going down the motorway. Played with it at home and seemed ok again. Went out and as l am in a wheelchair i drop to access height everytime l get in and out. From access height she would not come up at the front at all. Had to drive home with no air in the front. Got home left it overnight came to it and low and behold worked perfect until yesterday. Would not come up on the front again. Fine this morning and this afternoon dropped on the osf corner whilst driving.
Now for the strange bit never any fault codes, height sensors working as they should and between 180 and 190 psi in the tank.
It has only started to play up again since the battery went low on saturday?
The leak when the bag goes down is not from the struts but somewhere else. But isnt like a split pile as it only leaks once the bag has reached its height. When she drops onto its nose whilst driving the suspension switch does not flash to say that it is not at the right height. Its a 2003 petrol and my only though is the valve attached to the front of fhe air resevoir. Its as if the solenoid is sticking and leaving the valve open once the bag is up? Or cohld a low battery voltage be causing issues with the canbus.? Any help appreciated. Compressor is sound but am replacing the piston ring again just to be sure and the air bags are definitely leak free.

Post #432081 22nd Mar 2017 5:13pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

May be worthwhile checking and redoing the calibration on the EAS. when I replaced my front airbags last year I had weird issues with heights on each corner. Did a recalibration and all was well. Then when I replaced the compressor piston ring at Xmas, had the same troubles. Did another recalibration and not had any issues since.
Worth a go, especially if you have the IID tool.

Post #432122 22nd Mar 2017 8:25pm
Covbandit

Always been a bit scared of doing a calibration in case l mess it up and end with a problem like my p38 where it used to sit and do a dance at the lights. Is it straight forward? Sounds very plausable that it could be the problem.

Post #432170 23rd Mar 2017 12:34am
alistairh

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'm sure you can save your current height/calibration settings in the iid tool pre adjustment and if you get it wrong you can reinstate the old settings and start again Thumbs Up

Post #432174 23rd Mar 2017 12:56am
Covbandit

Thanks, l saw the save page so really got nothing to lose.gonna find somewhere nice and flat and give it a go. Never gave it a thought to calibrate the suspension. It could be fighting with itself and getting confused.

Post #432200 23rd Mar 2017 9:25am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

It's best to use the EAS Calibration Guide that IID supplies in the manual, makes the whole job a lot easier. Thumbs Up

Post #432227 23rd Mar 2017 12:58pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

If you have the bluetooth IID tool, download the latest version of the APP, and the IID tool firmware.

There is now an option for 'guided calibration' of the suspension, its really easy, involves NO calculations, and takes about 5 minutes from start to finish!!

Basically, you start at the front NS wheel, set the height using up / down buttons on the tablet until it is at the right height, then press 'next' and move on, front O/S, rear O/S then rear N/s, then just press 'apply' and the values are updated in the ECU, job done!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #432310 23rd Mar 2017 7:00pm
Covbandit

Wow..... just downloaded latest firmware and what an amazing bit of kit. 5 minutes at the most. Well thanks everyone for your help. Perfectly calibrated now and will see how the gremlins go now.
Thanks again all.

Post #432318 23rd Mar 2017 7:36pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #432447 24th Mar 2017 4:08pm
Covbandit

Ok still playing up. Will just drop down whenever it feels like it whilst driving or stationery, door open or shut and the inhibitor on or off. I have a feeling it is the valve block on the resevoir. According to rave this has 5 solenoids. 1 for each corner and one main one. So l think the solenoids are sticking/faulty. I sometimes lose both fronts but more often just the o/s. Today the hissing was really loud and was not letting the front come back up. Whilst engine and compressor running it hisses as soon as the ignition is cut it stops instantly, so l am sure it is something electrical controlling the air. Cant track the hissing down at the moment as l am a bloody raspberry ripple l cant get in to listen. So l have tracked a valve down and will get someone to poke their head in to track down the hissing.either way no matter what l have to change l wont be scared of calibrating next time. Has anybody else had any issues with the valve block on the resevoir?
Will continue to update.

Post #432521 24th Mar 2017 10:00pm
Covbandit

Ok hopefully this is the final update. Changed valve block and she ran perfect....... for 1 day then problem returned. Decided that although airbags had been changed l would need to start again. Removed o/s wheel increased air into bag using the iid tool, squirted good old soapy around the bag and it is leaking. The bottom seals where it meets the strut. So removed bag cleaned everything up- reseated with rubber lube and it has been perfect since. Stays up over night, not dropping whilst driving and compressor kicking in a lot less. So fingers crossed sorted and just goes to show even a new part can still be faulty.

Post #433325 31st Mar 2017 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1