Home > Technical (L322) > christmas tree faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alangrig

Latvia 
christmas tree faults

Dear All,

since purchase of RR 2009 3.6 tdv8 I have being experiencing so called "christmas tree faults": engine fault, suspension off...transmission fault...hdc off and so on. These set of faults happen occasionally, but in chaotic way. RR might catch these set of faults while driving without accelerating, while accelerating easily, while cruising or while slowing down, once a month, once a quarter, 3 times per day. For the last 3 months these of set of faults happened 3 times: while accelerating within the speed range from 20 mph to 35 mph, while driving at 30 mph and slowing down at traffic light and while driving on highway at 70mph on cruise control. After every restart, RR runs perfectly. I have visited today garage to read faults, please results below:

All injectors were checked and works fine without any issues and give correct values as it should be.
Could you please please advise what might be the cause for the set of faults based on your experience:

P0089-22
P2290-00
P117E-00

Would really appreciate your help. Meanwhile, I have arranged a visit to a local dealer for a global fuel system check.
Will report back this Friday.

Alex

Post #410494 24th Oct 2016 1:26pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

From your description I would look at the very basic things first. Those faults might be sporadic but the general conditions you describe could be something as simple as a bad earth. That "Christmas Tree" scenario is normally because the voltage supplying the various ECUs drops low and causes one or more of the ECUs to reset.

If that was all happening at start up time it would point to low battery voltage during engine cranking. But if the battery connections are not perfect, or if you have an earth strap loose you would get a similar set of symptoms at random times, just as you describe.

Note that this could be any of the earths in the car. If one of them is poor it could be causing problems with a single ECU. The most likely culprits would be the main ECU, possibly the BCM but I would go through as many as I could find ensuring they are clean and tight.

Post #410517 24th Oct 2016 3:43pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Generally when the transfer box joins in with HDC faults it's power related... normally lack of, caused by duff battery, so a rotten earth connection could be the source..... And I thought that those faults had died with the Defender, Whistle looks like Land Rover have retro fitted them to the Range Rover for old time sake Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #410521 24th Oct 2016 4:01pm
alangrig

Latvia 

Thank you very much, appreciate. BTW, battery is newly fitted last winter and occasionally on start the message pops up on screen: reactivated suspension.

Post #410522 24th Oct 2016 4:02pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

as above, the easiest place to start is the battery terminals. Then move to earths.

My 3.6 occasionally they up faults, but after cleaning and tightening the battery it was much better. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #410528 24th Oct 2016 4:25pm
alangrig

Latvia 

alangrig wrote:
Thank you very much, appreciate. BTW, battery is newly fitted last winter and occasionally on start the message pops up on screen: reactivated suspension.

Thank you!

Post #410754 26th Oct 2016 2:48pm
alangrig

Latvia 

The issue is solved: the problem was related in high pressure pump PCV Valve. Indie flushed it away with brake cleaner several times. For the last 3 months no issues so far.
Thanks everyone for support

Post #435798 24th Apr 2017 5:36pm
L322Dino

France 2008 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Barolo Black

Photos the pcv valve ?

Post #435813 24th Apr 2017 7:50pm
alangrig

Latvia 

Dear All,

please accept apology for keep you awaiting for result for so long time. Finally, the low pressure failure in fuel system has been resolved by replace new high pressure fuel pump. This winter the issue became permanent under low temperature, so we could drive our fullfat only with rev up to 2k. Prior to replacement, local Land Rover indie checked all related system that could cause this issue:

1. Fuel horse
2. Fuel pump in a fuel tank
3. Filter grill in a fuel tank

I familiar with the case where Indies from Russia make some life hacks by replacing only PCV (Siemens A2C59506225) or VCV valves on high pressure fuel pump, but in the end in turns out that the whole unit should be replaced.

Post #499122 19th Dec 2018 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1