Home > Technical (L322) > Engine System Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy Cox

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Fuji White
Engine System Fault

Hi all,
Over the last few days I've been getting an intermittent problem with my 09 3.6TDV8 occurring. The gong sounds and the message display reads 'Engine System Fault'. The engine appears to go into a restricted power mode and I end up coasting to the nearest layby. The engine is still running at this point but it won't accelerate. There doesn't appear to be any uneven running and after switching off and back on again all seems well until the next time it happens.

It only happens when the engine is hot and first started after about 3 hrs running on fast A road at typically 80 ish. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the fault but it does seem to be happening more frequently.

I have hooked up my laptop with SDD on it running via a mongoose cable but there don't appear to be any relevant codes.

Any help with this would be much appreciated please.

Thanks

Andy

Post #445770 25th Jul 2017 10:30pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi Andy its quite probably a split top hose which is a very common problem and easy to fix. Have a search on the forum for it but its easy to check the main two. They go from the front top of the engine and have a jubilee clip either side to remove. Also check under the webbing on the right hand one aswell. Hope this helps. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #445780 26th Jul 2017 7:38am
chefkenmore

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Had the same symptoms! Caravan on the back too!! Turbo hose split!

All the best 2007 VOGUE SE 3.6 TDV8

Post #445786 26th Jul 2017 9:16am
Andy Cox

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

My reading has led me to believe this may be a common problem but some people seem to attribute the fault to a problem with a turbo charger or EGR valve. Surely if there were a problem with an EGR then that would throw a code. Wouldn't it?

Thanks again
Andy

Post #445794 26th Jul 2017 10:47am
RHV8

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Galway Green

Had the same with my 09 and just bought a lynx evo tells me it's map sensor on bank A currently waiting for new sensor

Post #446749 6th Aug 2017 5:56am
Andy Cox

Sorry for disappearing for a while, I had to rush off to my elderly mothers aid in Hampshire for the last week or so. She has no need for the interweb and there's no mobile signal either so I was a bit cut off!

Anyway, having removed and checked the intercooler hoses with no obvious problems found, I was at least able to take it to Keith Gott last Saturday who is not far from my mothers house and a really helpful tech put their diagnostic kit on it and found a code showing a discrepancy in the air flow between the air flow sensors and the MAP sensors (I think). Unfortunately I didn't get the code from him as our attention was drawn to a small area above the offside EGR which we found to be really sooty indicating a small leak from the exhaust in that area.

I haven't had a chance to check it yet as I only got back to Cornwall last night, but my guess is that as the problem doesn't manifest itself until after about an hour of calm driving or perhaps half an hour of vigorous use, the leak only really affects the engine after it has all become hot enough to open up a joint in the EGR pipe work.

I could not have been more impressed with the guys at Keith Gott. I phoned late on the Friday, spoke with a helpful chap in the workshop who mentioned a couple of ideas and suggested I bring it in the morning for them to check over. He said the diagnostic scan would cost £39 plus the vat. In the end, a different guy helped me on the Saturday spending over half an hour with me doing the scan and checking it through and then didn't even charge me for the time or scan. He was helpful and happy to talk with at a technical level and I left feeling confident I had a good idea of where the problem lies. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to Keith Gott.

I'll let you know what I find after I have checked it out later in the week.

Cheers
Andy

Post #446808 6th Aug 2017 12:38pm
Andy Cox

OK, so it turns out the problem is a split in the right hand inlet manifold which is plastic and part of the rocker cover assembly apparently and is quite common so I've been told.

I wonder if anyone has had any success in repairing this type of split?

Thanks

Andy

Post #448876 23rd Aug 2017 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1