Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Leaking Power Steering Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dutchhome

United States 2009 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bournville
Leaking Power Steering Rack

My L322 has been leaking power steering fluid and my local mechanic said it was the rack itself leaking. He is suggesting I buy a remanufactured steering rack but that seems like a brute force fix. Is this a common problem? Are there seals that can be replaced? If they aren't user serviceable, has someone made a side business repairing them? If it matters, I'm in the USA.

Edit: Ok, it looks like I can buy them remanufactured for around $500 (incl $200 core charge). If my indy shop doesn't want to install this if I source it myself, is there a good DIY somewhere describing the process? I have the service manual, but I'm sure there are tricks not listed in there. BTW, my shop is asking for over $2000 for the repair, $1500 for labor is enough to justify me doing the work myself.

Post #450700 12th Sep 2017 3:04pm
Zebedee

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

They do have problems and can leak. I've not seen anyone try to do a home repair on one as reconditioned ones are available for about the price you're talking about. Used ones are available and I recently sold one that seemed fine for £50.

Changing the steering rack is not an easy job. Access to the steering column is reasonable through the r/h wheel arch line to remove that bolt. Pipes are reasonably easy. The harder thing is the engine sub-frame needs to be lowered and engine supported to remove the steering rack (it is slightly easier with the rack ends removed). Having said that, if you have access to a ramp and gearbox jack, then it is something like a 2.5-3 hr job. Make sure you remove the old rack and install the new rack with the steering set straight ahead. Current:
- 2013 L405 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
Sold:
- 2004 L322 4.4 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 2002 L322 4.4 HSE (having fixed timing chain guides)
- 2000 P38 4.6 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #450703 12th Sep 2017 3:52pm
dutchhome

United States 2009 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bournville

Thanks for the reply. It turns out the price was so high because they were buying the remanufactured steering rack for $1500. They are willing to install a rack I source myself so I'm going to go down that path instead. I certainly wasn't looking forward to doing this myself. Total price now is going to be $1200 including labor and alignment.

Post #450708 12th Sep 2017 4:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1