Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Sport Versus a Real Range Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue

United Kingdom 
Sport Versus a Real Range Rover

I spent a day yesterday in an almost new Sport Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged (family member).
And then drove my 405 - phew! Both vehicles are on 22's with the same 275/40/22 Conti tyres

The Sport is awful, the ride is harsh, the carpet is cheaper and thinner, you are sitting a lot lower even with the seats adjusted to max height, it's noisier, the dash and vents are lower quality and the leather also appears cheaper. I also felt claustrophobic. The average Mpg wasn't bad though at 22 but it was mostly motorway journeys at reasonable speeds.

We also had more nosey yob attention from the boy racers.

I now fully appreciate the difference between the two vehicles and why - Yes we all made the right decision Thumbs Up 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #469871 24th Feb 2018 8:59am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

After having a FF, other 4x4 don't seem to have the same appeal. The sport 'lines' don't flow as well (to me anyway).

Post #469879 24th Feb 2018 10:02am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Never did like the Sport old or new even though I bought one new at (original) launch. Thumbs Up

Post #469882 24th Feb 2018 11:00am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that the biggest misnomer in history would be me wearing or being carried in ANYTHING with the word sport emblazoned on it.

Reason enough not to even contemplate such lunacy.

♫ I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses .... (mostly) ♫

Whistle

Post #469887 24th Feb 2018 12:41pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I’m sure they’ve got a use and a lot of people must like them, even if it’s sort-of “a bit like a proper Range Rover”, but without the essential split tailgate, a useable boot, a nice light and airey glasshouse /cabin, with no proper command driving position and a low roofline to bash your head on getting into and out of the car!

But then, people out there even buy BMW 3 Series’s, so car buying is never a logical process Rolling Eyes While we’ll come up with all the practical reasons why we’ve bought Model X, or Model Y, to justify it to wife/husband/GF/BF/mum etc, the emotional decision invariably means that we end up with something that’s far too expensive, impractical, too large/small and might even not achieve what we set out to buy the car for in the first place! Rolling Eyes

I’m as bad as anyone! Laughing

Post #469915 24th Feb 2018 6:21pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Re: Sport Versus a Real Range Rover

Vogue wrote:
I spent a day yesterday in an almost new Sport Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged (family member).
And then drove my 405 - phew! Both vehicles are on 22's with the same 275/40/22 Conti tyres

The Sport is awful, the ride is harsh, the carpet is cheaper and thinner, you are sitting a lot lower even with the seats adjusted to max height, it's noisier, the dash and vents are lower quality and the leather also appears cheaper. I also felt claustrophobic. The average Mpg wasn't bad though at 22 but it was mostly motorway journeys at reasonable speeds.

We also had more nosey yob attention from the boy racers.

I now fully appreciate the difference between the two vehicles and why - Yes we all made the right decision Thumbs Up

Interesting to hear your opinions. I was never sold on the Mk 1 Sport. I think the new one is miles better than the original. I didn’t know there was still such a gap between Sport and the Fattie.

Post #470099 26th Feb 2018 12:45am
charlie croker mk2

England 

Sport feels very small and cramped in the drivers seat and has a "BMW" sport type suspension IE great on smooth roads ! I find discovery sport is a far nicer drive . Only thing that lets the FF down is the very low geared steering .

Post #470141 26th Feb 2018 1:42pm
Red Merle

Is it letting it down? I've always put the low geared steering down to being genuinely off road capable and limiting the risk of painful steering kick back. I can understand the priorities being different for the Sport though Thumbs Up

Post #470146 26th Feb 2018 2:00pm
steptoe

England 

Wasn't the "old" sport simply a Discovery in a different body shell and interior ? .

Post #470364 28th Feb 2018 12:27pm
Red Merle

The bodyshell shared the same floorpan/platform as well as the chassis. The bodyshell was different from there up.

Post #470365 28th Feb 2018 12:29pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

steptoe wrote:
Wasn't the "old" sport simply a Discovery in a different body shell and interior ? .

Yes, same chassis etc...but different body and interior. Never really liked it. The supercharged RRS had less power than the supercharged FFRR as well.

New one looks a lot nicer and better, but still not for me.

cheers Alex

2018 Skoda Kodiaq vRS
2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 M5 Touring
2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG

Post #470367 28th Feb 2018 12:37pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Original Sport was on a shorter-wheelbase version of the Discovery 3 platform - current L494 seems to have fewer differences from the L405 underneath.

Post #470386 28th Feb 2018 3:14pm
Davlyn

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I currently own a diesel MK1 Sport and a 2010 TDV8 FFRR. They are chalk & cheese, we just use the Sport Mainly to tow trailers around. We live in quite a rural spot on Bodmin Moor and the Sport being a lot narrower and smaller helps towing a horse box down some of the narrow lanes, the FF is just to good to be bumping off granite gate posts and solid stone hedges.

To be fair to the Sport it’s a bog standard SE model with fairly high mileage, it pulls the box with two horses in with absolutely no problems. We fitted a fairly nobly set of General Grabber all terrains and with them on it’s yet to get stuck in a field with the horse box and two horses in it (and we’ve been in some fairly wet fields recently!).

As I say though they are chalk & cheese. I know each vehicle has it’s place in the chain but the ride quality, build quality and reliability are miles apart, the FF is just in a class of its own and so it should be considering the difference in price back when they were new. Any body considering buying a Sport should really drive a FF first. I know the FF can be classed as bit of an old mans car but they really are so much better.

Post #470883 3rd Mar 2018 8:23pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Who are u calling an old man Shocked Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #470963 4th Mar 2018 2:52pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I was loaned a brand new (17miles on clock) high spec Sport as a courtesy car whilst my 4.4 tdV8 L322 was in to have the upper tailgate replaced under warranty.
After a few days of using it I thought it was a pretty good car and would have considered one if I ever change car, but within a couple of miles back in my L322, I knew it was not for me.
But then I suppose I am an old man.🍺🍺 G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #470972 4th Mar 2018 3:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>