Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Dealer Using car when in for service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
bozmandb9

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
I think the key word here is permission!! Rolling Eyes

A dealer should not do ANYTHING with a clients personal property unless they have proper permission from the client, and that a senior member of staff within the dealership has also authorised such action. To put it in to perspective, at LPR our General Manager would need to expressly authorise such action, and would want a detailed justification of why is was beneficial and necessary.

Very rarely (perhaps once or twice a month - based on us seeing 30+ cars a day through our Aftersales Dept), we may suggest that a vehicle is driven on an extended road test. This is usually if there is an intermitant problem that is not evident whilst the car is with us, or an issue that only manifests itself after a prelonged journey. Even then the vehicle would only be driven by a senior member of the team, directly home and back, and under the dealerships insurance cover.

There is just far too much at stake should the vehicle become damages, and not only that it is disrespectful.

So, yes it is perfectly normal, acceptable and beneficial providing it is in full and proper agreement with the owner of the vehicle.

James Thumbs Up

Thank God! Or at least thank you James. Now we have it in black and white from a dealership, if you leave your car with a main dealer, you should not expect to see it on the road unless they specifically tell you they want to do an extended road test. Simple as that.

GKP. A bit naive to say 'maybe the MD didn't know. If that was the case I would expect him to say 'I don't know' or possibly 'Not to my knowledge' if he's a bit shady. To state that it had not been taken out, despite the customer knowing it had been, due to the tracker, and due to the fact that somebody in sales had confirmed that a mechanic had taken it out, make him a liar. How can you continue to defend this?

P.S. you must also remember the 'Quik Fit killers', road testing a car, and even the BiB on a recent thread on PH, driving a confiscated car off a drunk driver, in breach of regulations, and managed to write it off in a 40 limit with a slight bend. Good idea for people to drive other peoples cars without their knowledge or authority? I think not! No insurance! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #55472 18th Mar 2011 8:19pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

It's good that LPR have offered their opinion, but maybe the dealership in question have a different way of doing things.

Whenever I drop off my RR to the dealer (very rarely it must be said - last time was for the diff rework) I sign a piece of paper, mainly to say I'll pay any bills which may be forthcoming. I don't know the full content of it as I've never read it. Who's to say there isn't a statement to say the vehicle might be taken off site when necessary? Quite probably the chap in this tale signs a similar bit of paper.

Bear in mind there has been no accusation of this car going on a jolly, purely that it wasn't where the owner parked it earlier. No doing doughnuts outside McDonalds, no 100mph jaunts through the town centre, no trips to the seaside. The bloke just took it home, most likely to give it an extended road test in an attempt to track down a recurring fault. That's all.
The only naïveity being shown here is the assumption that every person involved in the motor trade has some desire to abuse customer's cars. That simply isn't true and there's been no evidence offered by the chap to the contrary. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #55475 18th Mar 2011 8:41pm
bozmandb9

GKP wrote:
It's good that LPR have offered their opinion, but maybe the dealership in question have a different way of doing things.

Whenever I drop off my RR to the dealer (very rarely it must be said - last time was for the diff rework) I sign a piece of paper, mainly to say I'll pay any bills which may be forthcoming. I don't know the full content of it as I've never read it. Who's to say there isn't a statement to say the vehicle might be taken off site when necessary? Quite probably the chap in this tale signs a similar bit of paper.

Bear in mind there has been no accusation of this car going on a jolly, purely that it wasn't where the owner parked it earlier. No doing doughnuts outside McDonalds, no 100mph jaunts through the town centre, no trips to the seaside. The bloke just took it home, most likely to give it an extended road test in an attempt to track down a recurring fault. That's all.
The only naïveity being shown here is the assumption that every person involved in the motor trade has some desire to abuse customer's cars. That simply isn't true and there's been no evidence offered by the chap to the contrary.

I'm sure you are a really nice chap GKP, and I applaud your determination to see the best in people, but you seem to conveniently ignore the bit where the MD of the dealership lies to deny the vehicle was taken offsite. Oh, sorry, he just didn't know, so he stated that it hadn't.

By any chance do you also think that Col Gaddafi is probably just much misunderstood? Wink

Please relax, nobody thinks that everybody in the motor trade is out to rip people off, that is precisely why we are so disturbed when they betray the trust of a customer, then lie about it. 90% of people in the trade are not like this (now I am showing my naivety Thumbs Up ). Thats why we like to complain when it happens! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #55479 18th Mar 2011 9:10pm
GKP

We only have the original poster's view of that conversation, who, incidentally now doesn't seem too bothered about the whole affair, preferring instead to get on with the far more busy issue of life. Perhaps the situation wasn't quite how everyone's imagination portrayed it? Maybe it was a storm in a teacup afterall?
Maybe if we heard from the dealership in question we'd get a differing account of the events? Who's to know what the real story is here.

But some seem to want to grab their burning torches and pitchforks at the merest hint of a fellow RR owner being wronged. Whether he was wronged or not we'll never know, but the kneejerk outpouring of internet indignation is a cliched and typical reaction of Forums and their members. Quite frankly, it's exasperatingly childish. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #55488 18th Mar 2011 9:56pm
Dogman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

IMHO it's all about managing client expectations no matter which trade you are in.

If the dealership had said this may happen then it would have given the OP the option to discuss & agree.

I wonder if GKP would take offence if his car went past with a staff member from his local NCP driving it because That may not be too different 'cos as far as the OP knew there was no OOH testing being done garage or not? Whistle

Post #55489 18th Mar 2011 9:57pm
bozmandb9

GKP wrote:
We only have the original poster's view of that conversation, who, incidentally now doesn't seem too bothered about the whole affair, preferring instead to get on with the far more busy issue of life. Perhaps the situation wasn't quite how everyone's imagination portrayed it? Maybe it was a storm in a teacup afterall?
Maybe if we heard from the dealership in question we'd get a differing account of the events? Who's to know what the real story is here.

But some seem to want to grab their burning torches and pitchforks at the merest hint of a fellow RR owner being wronged. Whether he was wronged or not we'll never know, but the kneejerk outpouring of internet indignation is a cliched and typical reaction of Forums and their members. Quite frankly, it's exasperatingly childish.

Maybe the Md didn't know, perhaps the OP made the whole thing up, maybe the dealership would say something different (little doubt about that, dealerships being of course notorious for admitting whenever they do anything wrong).

On the other hand, perhaps people log into forums at their leisure, and give their opinions on the topics under discussion. I guess if somebody really objected to such a practice, they could even not log into such forums! Rolling with laughter Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #55498 18th Mar 2011 10:16pm
GKP

An NCP would have no reason to move my car. The parking services at Gatwick would. I imagine a workshop looking for a recurring braking fault would have some reason to roadtest a vehicle, too. Don't you?

But do carry on with you line of argument, despite its irrelevance to the conversation, as the palpable indignation you're exhibiting on behalf of a one-sided story posted on the internet is becoming amusing. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #55499 18th Mar 2011 10:17pm
Dogman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

GKP wrote:
An NCP would have no reason to move my car. The parking services at Gatwick would. I imagine a workshop looking for a recurring braking fault would have some reason to roadtest a vehicle, too. Don't you?

But do carry on with you line of argument, despite its irrelevance to the conversation, as the palpable indignation you're exhibiting on behalf of a one-sided story posted on the internet is becoming amusing.

I was just trying to explain that IMHO the owners permission should have been sought. Yawn

Post #55500 18th Mar 2011 10:25pm
GKP

Perhaps it was? Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #55503 18th Mar 2011 10:33pm
bozmandb9

GKP wrote:
Perhaps it was?

Banging Head Big Cry Thud Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #55527 18th Mar 2011 11:32pm
GKP

Were you there? Do you know what the chap may or may not have signed when he gave his keys over? Or what the Service Manager may or msy not have said when accepting them?

I'm honestly puzzled as to why there is such a furore over an unproven non-event such as this. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #55531 18th Mar 2011 11:47pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

RRUK wrote:
Out of work hours would that not qualify as theft?

TWOC (take without owners consent). Theft is permanent i.e: you don't get your car back. Its a given that during works time, mechanics will road test the car. Out of hours, unless you've told them they can do it, they are not supposed to drive it anywhere. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #55567 19th Mar 2011 10:41am
AMD

United Kingdom 

Is TWOC a criminal offence?

Theft would be impossible to prove unless the vehicle was driven with intent to permanately deprive the owner of it. Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #55614 19th Mar 2011 4:08pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Yes TWOC is a criminal offence. Yes they could be arrested in England and Wales (don't know about scottish law). Would the CPS prosecute.. unlikely...(public interest --- unless the car was trashed for example) could you prosecute them yourself via the criminal court yes. Could you presecute through the civil courts. Yes, and have more probability of winning your case.

The owner is also legally obliged to say who was driving the vehicle in instances such as setting off a speed camera, accidents etc etc.. Which is why buisnesses / services (eg the POLICE) with multi user vehicles keep log books. So the garage also fail in this respect. They should legally be able to tell the authorites who was driving vehicles in for repair and when. Its the MD / CEO's ass on the line when he/she can't. 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #55619 19th Mar 2011 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123