Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Problem dismantling air suspension leg to fit new air bag
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
B100

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Problem dismantling air suspension leg to fit new air bag

With the air suspension strut out and on the bench, I now need to remove the expected nut at the top end before I can remove the old air bag. I was expecting a conventional nut, but I'm face with a 50mm diam aluminium cap, painted black, and with an recess for an H14 allen key. My first thought was that this black cap was a decorative bit of plastic over the real nut, but I was surprised to find that it appears to be the nut itself. I've tried to shift it using a powerful 1/2" windy gun, but it didn't shift. Any suggestions about how to remove the cap ?

Post #591440 16th Apr 2021 5:45pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Old style -14mm allen key and add length with a bar / piece of pipe onto allen key, apply force and then give it sharp bloody hard blow with a lump hammer to break the tension. Just make sure the recess is spotless to stop the allen key slipping out. Thumbs Up

Post #591449 16th Apr 2021 6:30pm
B100

Thanks.

I now have a bit more information about the cap. I wish I had taken a look at the other side before posting on the forum. Somebody has obviously been there before me and didn't bother to replace the cap. This is what I found.

Click image to enlarge

I don't have a 14mm allen key - just a 1/2" socket male allen, but I will try that with a T-bar.

Post #591460 16th Apr 2021 7:18pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

As you have the 1/2 inch drive 14mm allen, use that on a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar,500 or 600mm (Quite cheap) then use said lump hammer. Screwfix / toolstation 600mm B/Bar for £20

If you don't want to risk using a lump hammer, I use a Wickes 750gm rubber mallet with fibre glass handle, no damage to cars or tools, a lot of mechanics use similar ones now.

Mind you, I do have enough tools to start a garage business Whistle but a man can never have too many tools Thumbs Up

Post #591473 16th Apr 2021 9:03pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Good thread here: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic47064-15.html Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #591489 17th Apr 2021 6:57am
B100

Thanks for this link, but it came just a bit too late. I got the blighter off in the end, but not without destroying it. I tried a very powerful windy gun with no effect. Then a tool designed to loosen crankshaft pulley bolts, again with no effect. I did consider that it might be loctited in place but, with a male thread, I discounted it because of the risk of causing the aluminium to expand and tighten the thread even more.

In the end, I cut it off with an angle grinder. Being uncertain how it was made, I went at it in three cuts - as can be seen from the pics. The final cut did take about 2mm off the steel cup washer that is threaded internally, but this does not seem to be an issue. As I was close to completing the final cut, enough heat must have been generated to release whatever loctite had been used - and it spun off easily.

So what is this component and what purpose does it serve ? It is described in the Arnott installation manual as a "top chuck" as fitted to 2006-2009 supercharged models. Mine is a humble 2007 TDV8 with the 3.6 engine. It has been missing from the top of the other strut for the three years I have owned it, so is it really necessary ?

Post #591608 18th Apr 2021 12:09pm
Classic888

United Kingdom 

Land Rover refer to it a an isolator or damper fitted to vehicles with High Performance Brakes. Helps with resonance under braking.

Post #591609 18th Apr 2021 12:29pm
B100

Thanks. I will see how the car handles before deciding whether or not to buy some replacements.

Just to give an idea of how difficult the damper was to remove, this is one of the tools I tried. Much more effective than whacking the end of an allen key. The force generated by this when hit by a large lump hammer is considerable. Much more than any windy gun I've ever used.

The suggestion to use a breaker bar does not work because any attempt at rotation with a lever is thwarted by the chromed rod in the damper which rotates - with no way of stopping the rotation.

Post #591613 18th Apr 2021 1:02pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I tried the brute force method as well, I have a impact gun that takes a lorry wheel nut off without a complaint and happily undid the crankshaft bolt on my old TD5.. but wouldn’t budge this, researched the loctite in the LR manual and realised to release it needed heat. Heated it up with some shields to protect everything else and it just spun off by hand Evil or Very Mad Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #591615 18th Apr 2021 1:54pm
Classic888

United Kingdom 

They are around £120 each new and very difficult to find pre owned.

Post #591617 18th Apr 2021 3:28pm
B100

I've been describing this device as made of aluminium. It's not. It is most definitely steel.

I will have to have a word with a mate of mine who runs a CNC lathe. An hour to write and fanuc program (yes, it really is called that) and it would only then take a few minutes to produce each one. Not perhaps with the H14 socket, but I think we all now know that it's not particularly useful anyway. I wonder how much of a demand there is for them. Any thoughts ?

Post #591664 18th Apr 2021 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1