Home > Technical (L322) > New airbags allround but EAS wont fill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Starberg

Sweden 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
New airbags allround but EAS wont fill

Hi got a problem and I really need your help

Just finished with a big job on rebuilding the entire rear of my -04.
I have new airbags front and rear and i also had the rear hight sensors taken down for cleaning and painting. I have also changed out all brakelines so the system was completely drained with fluid.

I have now refilled the brakesystem with new fluid and bleed all the brakes but when i started the car no air is pumped in the new airbags. I can hear the compressor filling the tank up but no valves open to let the air in the bags.
I checked the faultcodes and there is one at the EAS module: "CAN bus fault" and in the ABS module i find: "Air suspension system CAN error".

On the dash i get "Check brake pads" as message and the only light thats turned on when the car is on is the emergency brake light....
The car is on jackstands so i tried to put it in DRIVE and as soon as i touch the brake pedal i get a lot of action from the ABS module and cant even press the pedal down to put it in PARK.

I have checked all contacts and connections and they seem fine.... Any tips?

Thanks a lot! L322 Vogue 2003

Post #610180 23rd Oct 2021 7:26pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They don't like being on stands, it confuses the poor little thing...

Get the wheels back on, lower it to the floor and start the engine, hopefully it will sort itself out...

Check the rear height sensors are the right way round, you can fit them flipped over...!!

The two faults you have are present on most fatties of that age so nothing really to worry about...

Brakes may sort themselves after the EAS is happy, you may need to use a diagnostic tool to bleed the ABS block...

If that doesn't work try a battery reset...

Good luck... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #610212 24th Oct 2021 9:57am
Starberg

Thanks for the tips Heylands!

Is it okey to lower the vehicle down on the wheels without any air in the airbags?
I noticed today that i`ve ordered the wrong ABS sensor wires... Embarassed The ones i ordered is for 2006 to 2012....
You think i can just plug them out and still get the airsuspension to work or do you need the right ABS sensors connected to get the EAS working properly?

Thanks! L322 Vogue 2003

Post #610235 24th Oct 2021 12:48pm
Starberg

THANKS HEYLANDS YOU WERE RIGHT!! Bow down

It turned out the suspension didnt like the car being on jackstands and as soon as i put the wheels back on and lowered the car on the ground the EAS started working! Very Happy

Now to the next gremling.... I have the brake system varning light on the dash with the message "Check brake pads" on the display, you guys think this is because i have the wrong ABS sensor wires for the rear or because i got air in the ABS module?

I tried to drive the car front and back at my driveway and the car and brakes acts normally... Also, since ive changed all of the suspension-components rear im gonna need a wheel alignment but you guys think its OK to drive the car to the dealer with the rear tires of alignment in both toe and camber?

cheers

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

L322 Vogue 2003

Post #610265 24th Oct 2021 6:40pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Brake pad warning is from the lead that goes to the rear right brake pad sensor, it won't stop anything working, sounds like you need a new one or just unplug it, that should put the light off.... Don't think the ABS sensor will give you any problems if no faults are shown...

Be fine to drive to a shop to get the suspension aligned...

Glad your EAS sorted itself out... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #610285 24th Oct 2021 10:20pm
Starberg

Thanks for replying Heylands

I do not got the brake pad sensor connected so I think the massage is connected to the Brake system varning light as if you look in the owners manual..

I suspecting i got air in the ABS module since all the brake fluid drained from the system when i changed the brakes and thats why its throwing my this light.... My question is if i cant get it sorted out by my self and have to take it to the dealar if i can drive there or will the ABS system kick in randomly on the road and throw me off?
Is there any tip for bleeding a ABS module or do i just have to keep bleeding at the calipers and hope the air gets out?

Cheers! L322 Vogue 2003

Post #610300 25th Oct 2021 9:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1