Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Recomended spares
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lesmcm

South Africa 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Atacama Sand
Recomended spares

My wife and I are planning to visit Malawi within the next few months. We will be traveling from the Eastern Cape via Zimbabwe & Mozambique and returning via Mos and Zim, Botswana hopefully Angola then Namibiaand back home. We will be towing a offroad caravan. I would apreciate any advice on a sutable recomended spares list for a 2002 TD6 Thanks

Post #65185 21st May 2011 2:22pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

spare pair of pants are a must. 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #65207 21st May 2011 11:01pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

spare td6 Shocked "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #65220 22nd May 2011 3:27am
DeltaC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

What is the current condition of the major components on the car?

I suppose I'd examine the car and mentally split it into groups:

What components are likely to fail due to the nature of the trip (ie a tyre, fuel and air filters) Is that component critical?, not field repairable or going to be available nearby, then carry a spare.

What components are likely to fail because it is simply "their time", if you've replaced the air compressor, air suspension bladders, ball joints etc, then I'd be confident they will be fine. If you haven't, it's worth thinking about. Those kinds of things - do now.

Unfortunately, I've had nearly 30years of experience of working on / living with / relying on Land Rover products, I have always got tools "just in case" and a recovery / relay subscription for when the problem is terminal . With Rover products, I'm a pessimist. However, I've seen optimists who will tell you that it will all be fine, just take a jack, socket set, roll of duct tape and a packet of assorted tie wraps 

If you are taking a laptop, I'd get a Faultmate from Blackbox so that you can interrogate and reset when necessary.

HTH

Post #65227 22nd May 2011 8:01am
lesmcm

South Africa 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Atacama Sand

D elta C Thanks for the reply We have had the vehicle for 12months and other than the battery no problems. As we are over 300kms from the nearest stealer or indi I need to be fairly self suficient repair wise. The previous owner had the vehicle serviced every 15000ks it has now done 150000ks. The gearbox has been overhauled and since has had regular oil changes. I have a faultmate and Rave but can find little info on the TD6 engine or GM gearbox there. I have downloaded from the LR site tech information plus from this site. As the total distance we will be traveling to Malawi will be futher than from centeral UK to the tip of Italy and twice that on the return trip if we get permit to enter Angola with perhaps one stealer in each country at the capitol any further advice will be apreciated. For example fuel pump reliability etc. Our biggest problems will the apauling standard of driving and roads with potholes big enough to lose a car in.

Thanks hope to hear from you again. Thumbs Up

Post #65349 23rd May 2011 10:39am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Sounds like a hell of a trip!

Are you sure you have the full version of the RAVE? There is plenty of info on the TD6 in that. There is a short version of the RAVE floating around - check Mattstevenson's page (he's a member here) or check the WIKI for links to DL sites. The full RAVE is around 600MB.

Check the links to RRG's threads. He drove from London to your area last year in the same car.
Prior to departure: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic1437.html?highlight=
After arrival: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2513.html?highlight=
His site: http://web.me.com/raymondgreaves/LilongweDown/Home.html

As far as the TD6 motor goes, despite Pretlove's pessimism it is a relatively robust. Common rail diesels are a bit finicky on cleanliness of the fuel - depending on availability (or lack) of good quality fuel I'd add a fuel polishing system. Making sure the cooling system is in good order is a good idea too. The intercooler is somewhat exposed at the bottom - I might think about trying to protect it from fly rock/debris. I've not heard of particular items with the TD6 that are very prone to failure - at least not items that are easily repaired in the field and that spares can be carried for easily. Items such as this to check thoroughly are the turbo and injectors. Also, to help prevent oil aeration from killing the turbo, make sure the PCV oil strainer is in good shape or better yet replace with the BMW cyclonic separator (BMW PN: 11127799367). I don't know what I'd carry additionally, tbh. A serpentine belt? Hoses? I'd actually probably make sure I had tools and items for improvising: duct tape, bale wire, hose clamps, electrical tape, etc. And fuel and air filters in case of contamination.

The transmission is a common failure item on the TD6 as you know. Its probs seem to be much more related to regular wear and tear than hard use, tho. On the downside, they often fail right at around your cars mileage. On the upside, not changing the oil exacerbates the problem - and you seem to have done your homework there. If it's shifting well and gives no judders or the like, you'll likely be fine.

I would make sure the EAS is in good nick. If you are still on original air springs after 150k Km's and 9 years, I'd swap those out for new ones and sell the old ones as used but working on ebay. I'd go through the rest of the suspension as well - check upper and lower bushes in the rear, ball joints and tie rod ends in the front.

Electronics-wise the LM is miles above the previous RR P38. Having a diagnostic tool could be invaluable, tho - I've sent a PM.

Good luck and please report back - with photos! 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #65379 23rd May 2011 1:20pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

AK47?

Post #65384 23rd May 2011 2:01pm
DeltaC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

I think Steve and I are working along the same lines...

Replace the air springs and hoses but take the old hoses as spares. I'd also consider a radiator now so you gain confidence it's a good un (my new OEM one leaked on a seam after a few weeks). New water pump now - mine went and spat fins through the engine, a week after I'd fitted new belts and hoses!

New battery now, unless it's less than a couple of years old. They are critical to the behaviour of the car.

Post #65423 23rd May 2011 4:51pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

DeltaC wrote:
I think Steve and I are working along the same lines...
Cool 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #65460 23rd May 2011 6:25pm
S1NGH

Kenya 

this should help: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2515.html?highlight=africa

Thumbs Up

Post #65475 23rd May 2011 7:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1