Print this entire topic · 
Balloonengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Ipad or tablet mount

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hello guys and gals.

This is my Ipad or tablet mount solution

Aluminium sheet 110mm square, with slight fold for the viewing angle, a good wire brush to give it a key for paint, some etch primer as I had some, and some black satin paint.
You do have to screw the mount to the aluminium sheet with self tappers or M3 or M4 tap as I had those. I found this one on ebay, and the most suitable so far for a range of tablets. I use an Ipad mini.
The aluminium sheet slips in between the dash top and the top of the screen unit and is very firm and doesn't wobble.

Hope somebody finds it useful.
Best wishes
Glen Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Post #662833 26th Apr 2023 9:45am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

pretty handy that sliding space above the screen.....many of us have used it to mount sat navs.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #662839 26th Apr 2023 10:39am
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I love this, and the simplicity is sublime. However, I’m hoping to use this as a basis but want to take it to the next level and need some help/ideas…

In short, my concept is to find a way to have a 2-position mount for an iPad or other similarly sized tablet or standalone CarPlay/Android Auto screen, that is approximately the same rough size as the existing AV screen. Position 1 would be where the tablet covers the existing screen. Position 2 would be above and out the way, effectively sitting up on the dash in-front of the vents.

I really like the use of the aluminium sheet as the basis of the concept: it’s the perfect location and does not require the dash to be modified of indeed damaged by drilling or cutting. I think it would be very easy to use such an aluminium sheet to fix either a 20mm ball mount, or something else that would allow a pivot to be created. However, I’m trying to visualise a way to allow an instant way to move from position 1 to 2 and back without having to undo/move/tighten clamps or similar.

Can anyone think of a simple but effective way of achieving this, using existing products, or is this a case of bespoke design and 3D printer. If it is the latter, is anyone out there willing to work with me to design a concept that might work for this idea? Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red
2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #663026 28th Apr 2023 10:06pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Good luck and please share your designs.
I have been playing around with various 7 inch Nav, iPad, CarPlay screens for several years now, but currently happy to have CarPlay working in front of original screen.

Click image to enlarge

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #663042 29th Apr 2023 8:33am
Ajmngn

Mike, that’s really smart. I really like it! Would you mind sharing a photo of the mount/bracket without the screen attached, so I can see how it is held in place and how you’ve secured it to the dash?

I’m very curious about the CarPlay screens as a company called Carpuride have just released a new 9” model, the W90. It seems to be one of the first of these screens with dual Bluetooth, meaning that it can both link to my iPhone for the music/nav and also transmit to my Invery Bluetooth Module to play the sound through the stereo at the same time, and without having to rely on a 3.5mm aux cable. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I’ll only choose this route if I can get dual Bluetooth. If I go for the iPad, I’ll use a cellular version with GPS so no need to screen mirror as it will act independently of my phone and I can deal with all my music/nav needs direct from the iPad through the Invery. Andy

2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #663044 29th Apr 2023 9:14am
Baltic Blue

Andy,
Thanks, I will remove it later ( it only takes seconds) and get the mount pictures. It isn’t attached to the original screen in any way and is very firm and totally vibration free.
As you say it’s dealing with the 3 cables in a neat way that is the tricky bit and would be even harder in any moving design.

Picture showing power cable (bottom near volume control ) USB for phone and 3.5mm Aux sound cable.

Click image to enlarge

Post #663051 29th Apr 2023 10:25am
Faversham

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Galway Green

Hi Mike

Your setup looks excellent and I’d very much like to go down this route. Please can you provide a bit more detail about your mount, the tablet you’re using and how you connect the cabling?

Thanks muchly

Fav. Experience is the one thing you don't get until just after you need it.

2011 L322 Vogue HSE 4.4 TDV8 Galway Green/Sand - Current
2006 L322 Vogue SE 3.6 Java Black/Sand - Current
2009 L322 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 Stornaway Grey/Ivory - current but dead
2018 Discovery 5 - Gone
2017 Discovery 5 - Gone
2016 Discovery 4 Landmark - Gone
1997 P38 Vogue - Gone
1988 LR 110 V8 County - Gone
1981 LR 109 Stage 1 V8 County - Gone

Post #664656 22nd May 2023 7:28am
Baltic Blue

Fav/ Andy,
I will take the unit out later today and get you some pictures, but it is really very simple, just a plastic bracket made from 2 sides of an empty container giving a 90 deg bend.
One side is taped to the back of the unit using 2” gaffa tape and the other side pushes into the gap above the display.
I bought two extension leads off eBay , one for the 15mm Aux cable and a cigarette socket power lead because the power lead supplied was not long enough to reach to the rear seat socket.
They feed down through the glovebox out of sight then under the carpet between the front seats, emerging just below the rear seat sockets.
My unit is an Intellidash, because that was the only one on the market at the time, but much better and much cheaper models are now readily available on eBay with various screen sizes, but 7” suits me.

Post #664663 22nd May 2023 9:18am
Faversham

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Galway Green

Thanks Mike

That’s really helpful. So a standard 7” tablet should do the trick then? (Although I have to say that yours looks factory!

Fav Experience is the one thing you don't get until just after you need it.

2011 L322 Vogue HSE 4.4 TDV8 Galway Green/Sand - Current
2006 L322 Vogue SE 3.6 Java Black/Sand - Current
2009 L322 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 Stornaway Grey/Ivory - current but dead
2018 Discovery 5 - Gone
2017 Discovery 5 - Gone
2016 Discovery 4 Landmark - Gone
1997 P38 Vogue - Gone
1988 LR 110 V8 County - Gone
1981 LR 109 Stage 1 V8 County - Gone

Post #664667 22nd May 2023 10:07am
madnessgonemad

England 

I bought a CarPlay unit called Autotop from Ali Express which has the double Bluetooth set up. It comes with a silicone mat which sits on the dashboard. It is identical to the Roadtop ones on sale on Amazon but much cheaper ( under £100 now). It secures to the windscreen or dash top and I have hardwired the power so no dangling cables. I got it for Spotify control and satnav that I can see rather than squinting at a phone.
I must say it works brilliantly, much better than I thought.It boots up in about 30 secs on entry. You sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect the Inveray. Sound quality is very good, as good as Inveraray alone.
I think it looks fine as well. You can put the Land Rover logo on it at boot up which looks good. Screen surprisingly good quality.
The only thing that is not brilliant is the phone but I use the original Bluetooth phone on the car screen which is unaffected.
CarPlay for £100 and a bit of fiddling!

Post #664686 22nd May 2023 12:48pm
Ajmngn

So I made a custom bracket for my new CarPlay unit, a Carpuride W901 Pro. It’s been really good. The only thing I’ve not quite sussed is how to make it work with my Invery instead of the 3.5mm lead to aux; when I tried it first time it was intermittent but think that’s because the Invery was also connected to my phone at the time. Will play with it to see best solution.

Anyway, did a slightly more involved job with some sheet aluminium to make a platform and to get it as solid as I could. Pics below for info. On my test drive, it was perfect. Screen was very steady and no vibration, does not block my view one bit as the top left corner of the screen is almost exactly in-line with the front left corner of the car bonnet; and screen is within easy reach with no leaning so ideal. Well worth the time and effort to fabricate. Next job is to route the cables in the gap between the dash and vent so I can route them down behind the dash, along the centre tunnel and to the 12V power and aux socket.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Andy

Post #665324 28th May 2023 7:15pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

If that's the drivers view there's enough of a blind spot for a mother & pushchair to "hide" from view.

Post #665330 28th May 2023 9:00pm
madnessgonemad

England 

This is my set up.
No wires visible. The unit is rectangular so it does not get in the way. No mounting kit required. I think it looks like it is meant to be there!

Post #665360 29th May 2023 9:39am
Ajmngn

Hi Sam, if you’d just asked nicely and out of curiosity whether the screen blocks my view, I would have been very happy to confirm that it doesn’t, and that the photo was taken at that angle for the best shot, and not to represent the drivers view. It’s actually quite good that the front left corner of the bonnet is visible over the screen without the driver moving a muscle, and that the view of the road is not obstructed one bit. One of my reasons for mounting it so far back from the windscreen, instead of further forward on the dash where the screen did get in the way.

I hope that helps and have a great day! 👍 Andy

Post #665363 29th May 2023 9:49am
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

Andy, with respect my first words were ;

"If that's the drivers view"

Thanks for confirming that it is not.

As an HGV driver I have a bit of a "thing/issue" with blind spots & eliminating them as much as possible - plod seem to be one of the worst offenders in this respect.

Enjoy the rest of the BH weekend.

Post #665376 29th May 2023 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>