Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan movers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Caravan movers

Last year before I did my usual European tour my movers started playing up. I’d had them on my Swift Conqueror 645 from new and swapped after 18 months onto my Vanmaster where the sat for a further 6 years. Suddenly I started having problems with a motor packing up. I swapped the motor in its entirety for a new one at £400 but it still mucked about???? I tried a new control box but it had no effect. With a week before my holiday I called a guy called Tyrone at Auto Additions to see if he’d help me out. He fitted a complete new set of the same Powrtouch AWD jobbies two days before I was due to get on the Eurotunnel to France. The issue was that the front set would stop intermittently when manoeuvring and would climb the wheel where so much torque was being exerted. It was some kind of interference from something on my caravan I was told. Powrtouch deal with their own customer service and they had me turning stuff on and off, changing batteries and jumping through all kinds of hoops to get them working. I eventually said after many hours that I wasn’t prepared to spend £2250 and be left crawling under my own caravan. Anyway to cut a long story short, it took four visits from engineers and seven months to get nowhere so I eventually got my money back. Today I’m having some Reich Easydriver 2.8 Pro AWD movers fitted and they look very substantial in comparison. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the interference issue will not rear its ugly head. During all this frustrating period I can honestly say that Tyrone stood by me and promised that he would ensure I got treated well and fairly for which I thank him for always being on the ball. My new movers will be up and running within the next few hours and I’ll be away for two weeks over Easter in the Cotswolds. 🤞🏻
I’ll report back after I’ve used them a few times.

Post #660628 29th Mar 2023 8:56am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

My Powrtouch AWD movers use to do it as well. I would have to switch them off and back on and then all was well. I've just upgraded them to auto engage ones but haven't had chance to use them yet!!
The fitter said that it was a common problem if you were near a 5G mast.
My Sky router at my house was sending out some sort of stray signals which would not let me set my caravan alarm.
Once the sky router was replaced my caravan alarm was able to be armed again.
Good luck with your new movers.

Post #660629 29th Mar 2023 9:38am
Huwrhys

I had this issue everywhere I went. So nothing environmental. Must be something on the caravan. Alarm or router maybe. I have pulled the fuses on both these but the issue remained.
Thanks for your kind words.
🤞🏻

Post #660631 29th Mar 2023 9:43am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

My Powrtouch Auto AWD movers do this very very occasionally, I just let off the button and repress and all is well. Thinking about it mine got allot better after I got a new remote for them as the other failed (lost its range). Mine have two control box's, I always put it down to one loosing the signal for some reason, I swopped the boxes around and the problem didn't follow the box so just chalked it up as one of those things. Like I said it's very occasional and just releasing the button and repressing resolves it. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #660638 29th Mar 2023 12:30pm
Huwrhys

Mine did it every couple of metres and let’s be honest here, they were brand new and should have worked. I now have Reich which work brilliantly with a much tighter turning circle if required. It has the facility to lock the inner wheels whilst driving the opposite side for tight turns. This is a feature and is considered safe by Alko. Normal use is similar to the Powrtouch but seem more powerful up the ramp of the driveway. I nearly went for the 3.5 Infinity but they were £1k more and really do the same thing. All in I’m chuffed. Thumbs Up

Post #660639 29th Mar 2023 12:40pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I cringe every time I do a tight turn and I see the tyre's trying to part company with the rim. Shocked

Post #660640 29th Mar 2023 1:33pm
Huwrhys

It’s not something I need to do a lot but it’s there if needs be. It recommends it’s done on hard surfaces rather than soft ground as it’ll dig its way in. Nice option even if used just to fine tune a position.
Just spoken to the previous fitter and he said Powrtouch had said they replaced the motors (they didn’t) and that he’d had a call asking why he’d returned an AWD and a sgl axle control box. Speaks volumes to me.
Censored Powrtouch even had the cheek to say I had raised my voice at one point. I had every right after seven months of scraping around trying to move 2.5 tonnes of caravan in and out of my drive. An hour and a quarter was the record. Motorists were understandably annoyed but they packed up whilst across the road. Of course they did. I didn’t raise my voice, at least not until after I had it pointed out that my voice was raised.

Post #660641 29th Mar 2023 2:04pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

TJH1985 wrote:
My Powrtouch Auto AWD movers do this very very occasionally, I just let off the button and repress and all is well. Thinking about it mine got allot better after I got a new remote for them as the other failed (lost its range). Mine have two control box's, I always put it down to one loosing the signal for some reason, I swopped the boxes around and the problem didn't follow the box so just chalked it up as one of those things. Like I said it's very occasional and just releasing the button and repressing resolves it.

Same here, mine did it when the battery was a bit low. It would seem to get out of sync on one side (normally the side moving faster when turning) and drag the roller up the tyre a bit. An on/off would reset it.

I can see why you were annoyed if it was happening frequently, especially if you're trying to clear a road.

I've sold my caravan now so it's not a worry any more Laughing FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #660647 29th Mar 2023 3:52pm
Huwrhys

I’ve been playing with the new ones. They work on WiFi too via an app but the reach is pretty poor tbh. A bit pointless really but may have been a workaround if the interference was still evident. Tops up its not so all good.

Post #660649 29th Mar 2023 4:03pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

I have the single axle truma on my twin axle it works so far not had a problem except when a wire was loose, Steve at Vanmaster found it.
Needs new good branded batteries in the remote, not the cheap Aldi ones. 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #660659 29th Mar 2023 5:14pm
Huwrhys

Hi Alex
I looked at Truma but in an AWD configuration. £4K was pushing the boat out just a bit far for my tastes. The Reich initially were going to cost £3.5k but Reich themselves advised that the Infinity range were not necessary and that the 2.8 Pro in AWD would be ample with a £1.1k saving.
I have to say despite the Powrtouch units being rated at 3500kg they struggled with my van on inclines. These Reich don’t slow at all on the drive.

Post #660661 29th Mar 2023 5:23pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

I have had Powertouch on two of my other Vanmasters and as you have said they do struggle on the incline and seem to sap the power from the battery, hopefully, the new system will work out better keep us informed on your findings. 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #660683 30th Mar 2023 9:08am
Huwrhys

I’m off to the Cotswolds on Saturday morning, so I get the opportunity to get it out of the drive and onto the back of the car and then obviously into a pitch if it’s not a driveable one, we’ll see how it goes.

Post #660686 30th Mar 2023 9:16am
Huwrhys

Bit of an issue regarding remote signal but the fitter met me at my pitch and seemed to sort it out. Works a treat now. They seem very gutsy compared to the Powrtouch kit. Time will tell.

Post #662576 23rd Apr 2023 8:28am
Huwrhys

Having used them now a couple of times out I found the tight turn very useful at the Cotswold site. The site is called Orchard lodge near Bibury. Lovely place and nice owner btw. I arrived to find I was allocated a pitch effectively facing me. Normally not an issue as there’s a good swing in from a large grass area but this was very soft and I would have caused serious damage dragging my van over it. The movers were employed to switch the caravan end to end in a pretty tight space. I was on gravel/pebble so it moved well. There was a moment of signal loss as stated but the engineer came to the site a few days later and the issue has gone, thank goodness. I would not have been able to have positioned the van as quickly or easily with the Powrtouch units even if they were working well. I did have to put the stones back in place with my foot to tidy up after the manoeuvre.
I’m happy with my new movers and seem to have the hang of the controls. I think they’ll serve me well.

Post #663153 1st May 2023 8:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1